Waived: Ryan Spooner and Ty Rattie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Think it might be the witching hour for the $2.5-3 million+ depth forward. Leaguewide we're seeing so many of these 26-30 year old guys underperform and get waived or shuffled off to other teams for peanuts...with the way the league is going, I'd expect bottom 6's 5-10 years from now to be mostly ELCs with a handful of cheap vets, with the top-end guys eating a much larger share of the cap than they even already do.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Did the Oilers need these two roster spots?

Klefbom isn't healthy just yet

It could be the precursor to a cap/salary based trade. Usually teams will waive a cap dump first to see if they can lose them for nothing.

One idea I've had that would be win/win would be Spooner to Ottawa for Mike Condon. This is assuming Mike Condon is out for the season. Condon being on LTIR helps EDM manage their cap this season, and his actual cap hit is lower than Spooner's cap hit. Spooner's salary next year is about the same as Condon's salary.

The Senators probably prefer Spooner as a reclamation forward to wasting a goalie spot in the org trying to rehab Condon's game when he'll be a UFA with no future in the organization anyways. It's much easier to gamble on a forward getting back on track because there are so many more spots. Putting time and effort into getting Condon back on track means taking time away from Gustavsson, Hogberg, and possibly Daccord if he signs.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
cut.png

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That's what I thought immediately
I said this from day one when Weise went on waivers. Who is more valuable to the Oilers, Spooner who can't score or Weise who can at least play 4th line and PK?

Could be like Strome for Spooner. Once the deal was done both teams were paying their new player the same amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->