Ryan Smyth Named captain of team canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
There's just no way you could blame the Oiler's lack of playoff success on Smyth. It's not like the Oiler's are stacked or anything, the major reason that they play with such heart and determination every game and make the playoffs most years like they do is because they have Ryan Smyth leading them.

se7en*

Dion Mustard said:
Some Oil fans are going to get upset, but the fact that the Oil can't either make the playoffs, or get past the first round (this year being an exception), for as many years in a row as they have, allowing Smyth to play for Canada, is rather pathetic. I, for one, would rather see a guy who can lead his NHL team be captain then any Oiler player.

The irony. :biglaugh:

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
There isnt one team in the league that wouldnt welcome Smitty with open arms.
He doesnt have to represent his country every year but does. Even without playoff experiance the players on his team respect him for the job he does every night, regardless of the tourney or sweater he has on.

Dion Mustard*

Cawz said:
You need a hobby, coming here looking for arguments. Sad. Considering your profile says your occupation is "getting banned from here", its pretty clear what your intentions are.

Well sweetie, I wasn't looking for an argument, just stating what I believed. But since you brought it up, maybe instead of checking one's profile, you should respond to the context of the post. Or find yourself a hobby.

Fists of Fuhry

Jun 26, 2002
Visit site
Dion Mustard said:
Well sweetie, I wasn't looking for an argument, just stating what I believed. But since you brought it up, maybe instead of checking one's profile, you should respond to the context of the post. Or find yourself a hobby.

Honestly, its posters like you who give other Flames' Fans a bad name. And when did you start watching hockey or posting here for that matter? I've got you pegged as a bandwagon jumper, you probably didn't find your hockey voice until you tuned in midway of the flames run last year and the only reason you did was because everyone in your office was doing it. Plus it was the only way you could score a date - picking up inebriated road kill passed out on the red mile. Lol. Tell me I'm wrong :biglaugh:

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Dion Mustard said:
I checked the profile to see what team the poster was a fan of. I guess I should have figured it out through your name.

I saw no need to respond to the content of an obvious baiting/trolling post. Youre just looking for attention.

Dion Mustard*

Again, why can't the two of you deal with the context of the post, instead of labelling me a Flames fan, and ranting about that?

I am a fan of Dion Phaneuf's because I lived in Red Deer for a time, not because he is a Calgary draft pick (nice assumption though).

I did cheer for the Flames during last year's run, just as I have cheered for the Oilers, the Canucks, the Sens, the Canadians, and even the Leafs, because I would love to see a Canadian team (any Canadian team) win the Stanley Cup again. (Bring back the Jets and the Nords too)

That being said, can we get back to Ryan Smyth and the World Championships? Can we deal with what I did in fact say, and not what you think I said?

At some point, you have to stop praising a guy for being able to play at the WC seven years in a row (this year is an exception) because his team (in which Oiler fans have called him the best player and their leader) can't either make the NHL playoffs, or survive the first round.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Dion Mustard said:
Again, why can't the two of you deal with the context of the post, instead of labelling me a Flames fan, and ranting about that?

At some point, you have to stop praising a guy for being able to play at the WC seven years in a row (this year is an exception) because his team (in which Oiler fans have called him the best player and their leader) can't either make the NHL playoffs, or survive the first round.
Should Iginla play for Canada? He led his team to no playoffs 7 years in a row, and last place in the division for many of those years. It wasn’t until he got a record setting goalie having a miracle season that his team was able to make the playoffs by 5 points.

Should Heatley play for Canada? He hasn’t led his team anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dion Mustard*

Cawz said:
Should Iginla play for Canada? He led his team to no playoffs 7 years in a row, and last place in the division for many of those years. It wasn’t until he got a record setting goalie having a miracle season that his team was able to make the playoffs by 5 points.

Does bother you your home town boy is starring for the Flames instead of the Oil?

Yes, great, Iggy couldn't get his team into the playoffs until he matured into the superstar he is today. And now that he has come around, his team was one goal short of winning the Cup. ***** that the Flames only got into the playoffs by 5 points, but the Oil didn't even make the playoffs. And ***** that it was Kipper and a "miracle" season that got them there, but he was available to 28 other teams, and Edmonton didn't try and get him. ***** all you want. But remember, Mess is gone, and so are the Oil's chances of every winning again.

Should Heatley play for Canada? He hasn’t led his team anywhere.

Here's a hobby for you.

How old is Heatly? Now, how old is Smyth?

Didn't the Thrashers get Healy because they were a recent expansion team, and had to start at the bottom of the league and work their way up, while Edmonton has been around for years?

Didn't Heatly get into a serious car accident that cost him much of the season? A season in which the Thrashers stayed competitive and would have in all likely hood had a legit shot at the post season with a healthy young superstar? Who was Edmonton without when they missed the playoffs?

Nice try though.

Oiltalk

May 20, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Dion Mustard said:
Does bother you your home town boy is starring for the Flames instead of the Oil?

Yes, great, Iggy couldn't get his team into the playoffs until he matured into the superstar he is today. And now that he has come around, his team was one goal short of winning the Cup. ***** that the Flames only got into the playoffs by 5 points, but the Oil didn't even make the playoffs. And ***** that it was Kipper and a "miracle" season that got them there, but he was available to 28 other teams, and Edmonton didn't try and get him. ***** all you want. But remember, Mess is gone, and so are the Oil's chances of every winning again.
Yeah, because Iginla's going to be in a Flames Jersey the next 10 seasons. :sarcasm: Before you spew out dumb statements have a look at your own team first. :biglaugh:

se7en*

Wow Dion Mustard (or whatever new nic lanny mcdonald is using) is sure bitter.

When did Cawz ever indicate being upset over Iginla in Calgary? I say who gives a flying **** if he was born in Edmonton? He's a superstar on Albertas second-class team now.

Mess is gone, therefore so are our chances of winning? :biglaugh: Its a shame the internet wasn't mainstream in 1992! :D

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Dion Mustard said:
My home town boy? I live in Calgary.
What does this have to do with anything? I'm just trying to understand your logic.

Dion Mustard said:
Yes, great, Iggy couldn't get his team into the playoffs until he matured into the superstar he is today. And now that he has come around, his team was one goal short of winning the Cup. ***** that the Flames only got into the playoffs by 5 points, but the Oil didn't even make the playoffs.
So prior to last season, Iggy wasnt a superstar? Didnt he get invited to play in the Olympics, and didnt he help win a gold medal? Wasnt that in the middle of the teams 7 year slump? So by your logic, Iginla shouldnt have played in Salt Lake City, right?
Dion Mustard said:
And ***** that it was Kipper and a "miracle" season that got them there, but he was available to 28 other teams, and Edmonton didn't try and get him. ***** all you want. But remember, Mess is gone, and so are the Oil's chances of every winning again.
What does this have to do with the World Championships? Oh ya, I forgot. Youre just trolling, trying to start **** with Oilers fans.

Fists of Fuhry

Jun 26, 2002
Visit site
Dion Mustard said:
Again, why can't the two of you deal with the context of the post, instead of labelling me a Flames fan, and ranting about that?.
Maybe because the context of your initial post was nothing more than a "flaming" comment towards Smyth and the Oilers and had nothing to do with the topic of this thread.
Dion Mustard said:
I did cheer for the Flames during last year's run, just as I have cheered for the Oilers, the Canucks, the Sens, the Canadians, and even the Leafs, because I would love to see a Canadian team (any Canadian team) win the Stanley Cup again. (Bring back the Jets and the Nords too).
I find it quite pathetic when an individual voices comments that blatantly biased against a certain player and a certain team's playoff record and then tries to convince everyone that he/she is a fan of all Canadian teams.

Dion Mustard said:
That being said, can we get back to Ryan Smyth and the World Championships? Can we deal with what I did in fact say, and not what you think I said?.
Yeah, could you please give some substantial reasons why a player should be shunned for representing the country (Canada) whose teams you "cheer for" unbiasedly? :shakehead
Dion Mustard said:
Yeah, way to be objective troll. Your arguments are as lame as trying to brag about coming 1 goal away from the Stanley Cup. Apparently to you, playing for team Canada and being successful on an international scale is nothing compared to almost winning 2 Stanley cups within a span 25 years. :clap:

PDO

Jan 12, 2005
Edmonton
So uh..

In 1997 and 1998, was Smyth in the playoffs? Coincidently, was he in the second round? Then he was still invited as a late invitee to the WC because it was felt he'd add that much to the team.

Care to try again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad