Ryan Smyth Named captain of team canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie Vedder

Sep 8, 2003
Not a shocker.

Perfect player to wear the C for this team though, regardless of his history of being the captain. Defines the gritty, hard working image tambellin seems to be going for.

Burnaby_Joe*

Roughneck said:
There isn't a player more deserving. The model of a Canadian hockey player if I ever saw one.

Go lead us to Gold again Ryan!

Agreed

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
monster_bertuzzi said:
Smyth is only 190 pounds?

Yeah, I went and checked after I read your post. nhlpa.com has him listed at 188 lbs. and 6'1. I can't believe that. I thought he was much bigger.

Oh well, shows his character that he can be average size and play that big.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
Oil_slick9416 said:

Don't worry, this is coming from the same guy who though Steve Yzerman brought nothing to a team. Obvioulsy leadership is an unknown concept to him.

Oil_slick9416*

Bergeron47 said:
I like how he's captain of Team Canada, and yet not good enough to be captain on the Oilers..

he's the real captain of the oilers, just because smith wears the C doesn't mean anything except he can "talk to the ref" everyone and thier mother knows who the real leader is. thats not to say smith is a bad captain. he leads by his play. Ryan leads with his heart. it's a problem i'm sure the oilers love to have.

thats how i feel anyway

Last edited by a moderator:

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Oil_slick9416 said:
he's the real captain of the oilers, just because smith wears the C doesn't mean anything except he can "talk to the ref" everyone and thier mother knows who the real leader is. thats not to say smith is a bad captain. he leads by his play. Ryan leads with his heart. it's a problem i'm the oilers love to have.

thats how i feel anyway

totally agree.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Oil_slick9416 said:
he's the real captain of the oilers, just because smith wears the C doesn't mean anything except he can "talk to the ref" everyone and thier mother knows who the real leader is. thats not to say smith is a bad captain. he leads by his play. Ryan leads with his heart. it's a problem i'm the oilers love to have.

thats how i feel anyway

totally 100% agree.
MacT was wrong in giving Smith the captaincy...but thats a whole other story

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Oil_slick9416 said:
he's the real captain of the oilers, just because smith wears the C doesn't mean anything except he can "talk to the ref" everyone and thier mother knows who the real leader is. thats not to say smith is a bad captain. he leads by his play. Ryan leads with his heart. it's a problem i'm sure the oilers love to have.

thats how i feel anyway
Not taking anything away from Smith, but, Smyth would still be a much better captain. Seems almost unfair.

Could you imagine if Yzerman or Sakic weren't the captain of their teams?

Oil_slick9416*

2agingmonk said:
Not taking anything away from Smith, but, Smyth would still be a much better captain. Seems almost unfair.

Could you imagine if Yzerman or Sakic weren't the captain of their teams?

i'd love to see Ryan get the 'C' and maybe he will once Jason leaves town .

Oilers1*

e-townchamps said:
totally 100% agree.
MacT was wrong in giving Smith the captaincy...but thats a whole other story

I think it was the right decision at the time.

Remember, Smith inherited the captaincy when Weight left (which was at the end of the same season that saw Guerin leave), so Smyth was being looked at to fill a pretty significant offensive void. To ask him to also take Weight's place as team leader could have been too much, IMO.

As its turned out, Smyth has matured into the heart and soul of the team, but I think Smith still contributes enough with his inspirational on-ice play to do the, 'C' justice.

Oil_slick9416*

Laraque27 said:
I think it was the right decision at the time.

Remember, Smith inherited the captaincy when Weight left (which was at the end of the same season that saw Guerin leave), so Smyth was being looked at to fill a pretty significant offensive void. To ask him to also take Weight's place as team leader could have been too much, IMO.

As its turned out, Smyth has matured into the heart and soul of the team, but I think Smith still contributes enough with his inspirational on-ice play to do the, 'C' justice.

George is that you? :amazed:

Dion Mustard*

Some Oil fans are going to get upset, but the fact that the Oil can't either make the playoffs, or get past the first round (this year being an exception), for as many years in a row as they have, allowing Smyth to play for Canada, is rather pathetic. I, for one, would rather see a guy who can lead his NHL team be captain then any Oiler player.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Dion Mustard said:
Some Oil fans are going to get upset, but the fact that the Oil can't either make the playoffs, or get past the first round (this year being an exception), for as many years in a row as they have, allowing Smyth to play for Canada, is rather pathetic. I, for one, would rather see a guy who can lead his NHL team be captain then any Oiler player.

So I guess Iginla shouldn't been on the 2002 Olympic team. Smyth has won gold at the world juniors, world championships, Olympics and World Cup. You're right, what's he ever won?

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Macman said:
So I guess Iginla shouldn't been on the 2002 Olympic team. Smyth has won gold at the world juniors, world championships, Olympics and World Cup. You're right, what's he ever won?

Any player will tell you they would rather have NHL playoff success than international success.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Dion Mustard said:
allowing Smyth to play for Canada, is rather pathetic.
You need a hobby, coming here looking for arguments. Sad. Considering your profile says your occupation is "getting banned from here", its pretty clear what your intentions are.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
monster_bertuzzi said:
Any player will tell you they would rather have NHL playoff success than international success.

Any Canadian or American player, and only the players from those 2 countries will tell you they would rather have NHL playoff success than international success.

Oil_slick9416*

wilka91 said:
Any Canadian or American player, and only the players from those 2 countries will tell you they would rather have NHL playoff success than international success.

check your fact before posting...

" Former Canadiens great Mats Naslund, speaking from his home in Sweden, said Europe's hockey fans hold Olympic championships in highest regard, much more than world championships that are decided during the NHL playoffs and do not include all of the best players.

Most prestigious: the Stanley Cup."

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/05/05/Lightning/Whole_world_cherishes.shtml

good article about the stanley cup and europeans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad