Ryan Reaves

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by MS, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. MS

MS 1%er

I'm curious for some other opinions on this guy, especially from people who have seen him a fair bit of the Wheat Kings over the course of the year.

This guy was barely on the radar screen two months ago - WHL rookie, 5 points his first 46 games, not ranked on the CSB mid-terms. However, he finished the season very strongly - 11 points his last 18 games, 5 points now in 9 playoff games, and has looked very, very strong in Brandon's series vs. Calgary.

Big guy, average skater, but lots of strength, a bit of skill, and hits like a truck. Seems strong defensively and very good along the boards and in the corners. Similar-type prospect (and season, the way it's developed) to Brodie Dupont, and interesting to see them head-to-head in this series.

Interested in where people think he'll go ... 4th-5th round wouldn't shock me given his raw physical tools and spiking development curve.

2. Le Golie

Le Golie ...

He's the hockey definition of 'raw'.

He's a year removed from high school hockey - so really, he hasn't even shown enough for anyone to be sure what he brings. If he gets drafted it's a huge risk, but he's probably got a better chance to develop than most late round picks.

3. Letang fan 58

Letang fan 58 No More Fleury

Very big guy....hits like a truck....fights great....works his @@@ off.

Not a great skater....good potential to be a decent power forward.
    hes not going to be a top line player unless he can get some speed in those legs though.
    potential to be a good 4th liner or possibly 3rd line player who pitches in with the occasional ugly crash and bang goal.

If he does however get some speed over the next year-2 he does have the potential to be a top or 2nd line guy as he seems to have a pretty decent shot, decent smarts around the net for where to stand and stuff like that.

my guess would be late 4th - early 6th in the draft.

4. sbtatter

sbtatter Registered User

Reaves seems to have grown in confidence and matured over the last part of the season and into the playoffs. Concentrating more on clean, hard hits and has a lot of Hitmen looking over their shoulders. I believe his skating is improving as well. Turning into a real crowd pleaser..... Not near Brodie Dupont though, who's improvement really impressed me over the course of the season. He can fight, skate and score, he's a keeper.
    Let's hope Reaves can improve next year and turn into a "Dupont" type player

5. Greg7

Greg7 Registered User

After watching a couple of Brandon games, I looked on McKeen's and CSS to find where Ryan Reaves was ranked, and like you found he is unranked (even McKeen's top 40 in the WHL alone doesn't list him). Not sure if this is my own poor "scouting" or an oversight by both of those organizations, but in any case he seems to me to have NHL potential. Always room for big, strong, hardworking physical guys as long as they can skate. He seems to have reasonable skills and intelligence, so if his skating improves I don't see why he wouldn't have a chance to make it as a grinder. I'd like to hear more from people who have seen him more than I have though.

6. sbtatter

sbtatter Registered User

The 1st game I saw him play (against the Blades) I said he has the potential to make it a long way as gritty power forward on a 3rd/4th line. He isn't afraid of anyone and makes his team mates 2" taller and 20 lbs heavier. He's come a long way this season (high school hockey in Wpg last year), if he continues to work on his skating he'd be well worth a lower pick in the draft....

7. allin4466

allin4466 Registered User

Re:

very true words. He has been a force to be reckoned with lately, he doesnt care who hes hitting, or fighting, or checking, hes all over anything that moves out there(ask alex plante).

8. Snoopy

Snoopy Registered User

Reaves vs plante

correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Alex Plante like 15? I don't know if I would be adding that to my resume? :clap:

9. sbtatter

sbtatter Registered User

Perspective from and inside source....

But Plante wanted to fight, remember i wondered why the linesman didn't stop the fight when Reaves kept giving them the chance? Well, I found out last night that when Reaves stopped, he kept asking Plante if he'd had enough and Plante would say no, I'm not done yet. The linesman asked if he'd had enough and again Plante said no. So Reaves would punch him once and ask again, same reply. Reaves took it easy on him, he didn't pick a 15 year old to fight and he didn't keep pounding him after he cut him for 13 stiches and concussed him....

10. Big Deaner

Big Deaner Registered User

Student of the Game
    Home Page:
    If true, Plante is one tough kid, he's gonna be a good palyer for the Hitmen.

11. sbtatter

sbtatter Registered User

It is true, and you're correct, looks like he's going to be a keeper. Good hockey genes passed on from Papa to his sons!!!

12. MS

MS 1%er

It seems to be a case where he was adapting to a big step up in play and seeing limited ice time the first few months of the season. When the CSS mid-terms came out he had like 4 or 5 points ... difficult to rank him based on that.

The only real question mark is his skating, which will need to improve a bit. His lack of production in the regular season is a bit of a mirage - his numbers were quite good the last few months, you can see a decent skill level there, and he should be getting top-6 icetime in Brandon next year with all the forwards that are leaving. He's only 17 and has size 16 feet, so it's probably fair to guesstimate that he still has a lot of growing to do ... a 215-220 lb playing weight isn't out of the question, and his physical game is already one of the best in the draft. It really wouldn't surprise me at this point to see him go in round 2 or 3 ... scouts will love his physical game and upside, and there aren't many guys around with his sort of physical tools.

13. sbtatter

sbtatter Registered User

He should be in the 210 to 220 range, look at the fine speciman his Dad was (and still is). We're just luckt he picked hockey and not football, but with Willard playing pro it surely has to help Ryan's focus and development.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.