Confirmed with Link: Ryan Reaves to NYR for a 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

As AK was saying. Reaves on the bench, 50 ft away. Didn't stop Wilson.

Wilson and Reaves have fought each other twice. Both times unremarkable. Both times when Reaves was with the Blues before the above. Both times it was Wilson actually instigating the fight. First because Reaves hit Backstrom. Second was because Backstrom boarded a Blues player and Reaves was skating towards Backstrom and then Wilson intervened. Also I guess Backstrom didn't get the memo to not board somebody when Reaves was on the team.

The actual hopeful benefit of Reaves? Good voice in the locker room. Will set the tone with some physical play. Will allow the skill players to "feel" like they are protected. Will try and respond to physical/dirty play by the opponent and have teammates' backs. But again, He isn't going to deter Wilson from being Wilson. The only two people capable of that are George Parros or Wilson himself and neither have shown the willingness to do so.

No one is saying it's a 100% foolproof deterrent. However, if you were Tom Wilson, you don't think he realizes that if he crosses the line that he might have to answer the bell? I would think other guys in the locker room realize that they are a lot less likely to get blindsided as well..

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Getting some bigger tougher guys doesn’t really change how the opponent plays but it gives teammates a little more confidence. And to some extent it’s like building a strong OL to protect a young QB. You insulate the kids a bit.

Last edited:

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The deterrence of Reaves is that he HAS to go after any top player on an opposing team that he happens to be on the ice with.

It has to be a targeting of other teams top guys for the message to trickle to a guy like Wilson to cut the shit.

That is how you send messages. Always has been, always will be.

Reaves has both the ability and desire to do just that.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
The deterrence of Reaves is that he HAS to go after any top player on an opposing team that he happens to be on the ice with.

It has to be a targeting of other teams top guys for the message to trickle to a guy like Wilson to cut the shit.

There will be zero change in Wilson's game. Reaves beat up Wilson. Did his game change?

Astounding that anyone who has watched enough hockey doesn't get that.

Wilson won't change.

Marchand won't change.

(insert player name) won't change.

Last edited:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Again, I'm more interested in this team changing it's general style to being more of an aggressor than a reactor.

I was listening to the last 32 Thoughts Podcast and they made a good point as well. The regular season is a legitimate grind and it's important for teams to have guys who can drag and pull their teammates into games when they are flat. A Tuesday night game against a non-rival in early January can be a tough game to get up for when there is no animosity and guys like Reaves (and others) provide continuous energy and other attributes that are useful throughout a full season.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Anecdotally these types of guys help your team. There are tons of players who have said they feel better, or play better, knowing they have a guy like Reaves around. Is that really true, or are they paying lip service to teammates they respect? I don't know. If it is true, does it actually translate to better play on the ice? That would be tough to quantify.

What Reaves will not do is serve as a deterrent. I think it's pretty much definitively established at this point, despite some people refusing to acknowledge it, that deterrence doesn't really exist. At all. Guys like Wilson, Marchand, Torres from a few years ago, Cookie, whoever, they're going to do what they're going to do. It's who they are and how they play. The prospect of maybe having to face Ryan Reaves in a fight or having him go hunting for you, that just doesn't move these guys. That's why they keep doing what they do--because there's no such thing as a deterrent for them. They are shitheads regardless if you have Ryan Reaves sitting on the bench or not.

Still, having Reaves allows the team to play on its front foot. He allows us to be the aggressor, where he (and some of our other adds) are out there playing hard, throwing hits, and forcing the other team to respond. That's been a thing with the Rangers for so long--"How will the Rangers respond to (insert physical altercation here)?" I think the goal is to not have that be such a frequent and lingering question and to also flip the script, so to speak.

It's silly to look at this and think that it's purely a reaction to Tom Wilson. Did the Wilson incident factor into this move and a couple others? I mean, it had to. How could it not? But the Rangers were going to need to get tougher and tougher to play against regardless of whether the Wilson thing happened. Lindgren could have gone Happy Gilmore and stabbed Wilson with a skate, and we'd still have needed to address our general team toughness and physicality this offseason.

Last edited:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Anecdotally these types of guys help your team. There are tons of players who have said they feel better, or play better, knowing they have a guy like Reaves around. Is that really true, or are they paying lip service to teammates they respect? I don't know. If it is true, does it actually translate to better play on the ice? That would be tough to quantify.

What Reaves will not do is serve as a deterrent. I think it's pretty much definitively established at this point, despite some people refusing to acknowledge it, that deterrence doesn't really exist. At all. Guys like Wilson, Marchand, Torres from a few years ago, Cookie, whoever, they're going to do what they're going to do. It's who they are and how they play. The prospect of maybe having to face Ryan Reaves in a fight or having him go hunting for you, that just doesn't move these guys. That's why they keep doing what they do--because there's no such thing as a deterrent for them. They are shitheads regardless if you have Ryan Reaves sitting on the bench or not.

Still, having Reaves allows the team to play on its front foot, so to speak. He allows us to be the aggressor, where he (and some of our other adds) are out there playing hard, throwing hits, and forcing the other team to respond. That's been a thing with the Rangers for so long--"How will the Rangers respond to (insert physical altercation here)?" I think the goal is to not have that be such a frequent and lingering question and to also flip the script, so to speak.

Just adding on here, it's pretty important to get the young players on the team to feel comfortable playing this style of aggressive hockey. At times I think with so many players being friends with other guys within the league it's almost more difficult in today's NHL to instill this concept but it's beyond important for your best players to enjoy being the 'Alpha' in any game.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
No one is saying it's a 100% foolproof deterrent. However, if you were Tom Wilson, you don't think he realizes that if he crosses the line that he might have to answer the bell? I would think other guys in the locker room realize that they are a lot less likely to get blindsided as well..

Oh I think he realizes before the game that he'd have to "answer the bell" and I don't think he really cares (although at this point he's more likely to try and goad Reaves into instigating). He knows he's most effective when he plays like he has and will continue to do so. It didn't stop him from destroying Sundqvist from the Blues, or Carlo from the Bruins, or Marchessault from VGK with Reaves on the bench. I also don't think Wilson is actively thinking on the ice about the other teams bruiser. His instinct in game takes over and he literally can't help himself. I think the second part of your post is the real positive. He'll make the skilled guys on the Rangers "feel" like they are protected. That's good in my mind.

Look, it's most likely that other than some hard hits and after whistle scrums, we won't see an incident like what happened last year. Wilson has played 32 career games against the Rangers in the reg season. 31 of them without an incident like last years. I do believe Reaves will try to set the tone and seek Wilson out at some point. We'll see if Wilson takes the bait.

Reaves has gone after the Caps top players. Reaves open-ice checks Backstrom in the back. Look who immediately responds. Here: Best part is it gets Wilson (a better player) off the ice for 5 min.

Still, having Reaves allows the team to play on its front foot, so to speak. He allows us to be the aggressor, where he (and some of our other adds) are out there playing hard, throwing hits, and forcing the other team to respond. That's been a thing with the Rangers for so long--"How will the Rangers respond to (insert physical altercation here)?" I think the goal is to not have that be such a frequent and lingering question and to also flip the script, so to speak.

It's silly to look at this and think that it's purely a reaction to Tom Wilson. Did the Wilson incident factor into this move and a couple others? I mean, it had to. How could it not? But the Rangers were going to need to get tougher and tougher to play against regardless of whether the Wilson thing happened. Lindgren could have gone Happy Gilmore and stabbed Wilson with a skate, and we'd still have needed to address our general team toughness and physicality this offseason.

Exactly as I feel. Perfect write up.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
There will be zero change in Wilson's game. Reaves beat up Wilson. Did his game change?

Astounding that anyone who has watched enough hockey doesn't get that.

Wilson won't change.

Marchand won't change.

(insert player name) won't change.

. . . Brett Howden won’t change

Mugless

Aug 26, 2004

Yup. Fines, suspensions and goons won't stop Wilson. Line brawling won't stop Wilson. See how willing Backstrom is to pay the price for Wilson's bullshit.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
How does anyone not think deterrents work?
Who did people in your high school bully, the nerd with no friends or the popular kid? Did they bully the kid with the tough older brother? The kid who's in a gang? Lol
My high school wasn't the NHL. We also didn't have bullies, though.

Who has deterred Tom Wilson? What has deterred Tom Wilson? If he has been successfully deterred, why does he continue to do the things he does?

Reactions: chosen

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

Who has deterred Tom Wilson? What has deterred Tom Wilson? If he has been successfully deterred, why does he continue to do the things he does?
The same reason children throw tantrums. He has emotional outbursts against weaker/vulnerable players. He's an overgrown child with arrested emotional development. He can't help himself.

He may still act out but imo he wont do what he did to Buch and especially Panarin. If I know his psyche, he may 'act out' in the first game to show and puff his chest that 'he's not scared'...

Reactions: THE BIG WHISTLE

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

somebody should ask the plethora of players who did the same for decades. Why does a Dale Hunter or Claude Lemieux play dirty?

Reactions: nyr2k2

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

Well is it wrong as a Ranger fan to have someone who at least make him feel some pain for what he does? lol. I don't want complete scrubs doing this but I don't think Reeves/Blais are complete scrubs like a Brashear.
If we wanna go back on the deterrent thing fine but I don't think we can deny that someone sticking up for you on your team brings the team closer together? I have to imagine being a 19 or 20 year old young kid playing with these physical beasts its nice to know you have 2 or 3 guys who will have your back.

Reactions: egelband

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
FWIW I can easily see Wilson and Reaves going at it a couple times this year. I would be surprised if they didn’t. That said I don’t think Wilson will stop playing the way he does.

Reaves might not have as long a litany of dirty hits but he’s got no problem targeting the other teams best players….and right there he could draw Wilson into fighting him. There is no Chara, no Dillon for the Caps this year. Just Wilson, Hathaway and Mantha. If someone has to back it up for them it’s one of those three and Wilson is their toughest.

Basically as far as the Caps specifically we’re just signaling that we can get as deep into the gutter as they can. I don’t have a problem with that but I understand if some do.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Well is it wrong as a Ranger fan to have someone who at least make him feel some pain for what he does? lol. I don't want complete scrubs doing this but I don't think Reeves/Blais are complete scrubs like a Brashear.
If we wanna go back on the deterrent thing fine but I don't think we can deny that someone sticking up for you on your team brings the team closer together? I have to imagine being a 19 or 20 year old young kid playing with these physical beasts its nice to know you have 2 or 3 guys who will have your back.
No it's not wrong. Everything you said is fine and I generally agree. See my post a higher up the page.

It's just the deterrence thing is...not really a thing. That doesn't mean Reaves is not someone you want on your team. He's just not going to stop Tom Wilson. The only thing that will stop Tom Wilson is if the league finally steps up and bans him for something like a full season. And even then, who knows? Some guys just can't help themselves and Wilson seems like one of those guys who is unstable as it is.

Reactions: Machinehead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad