Confirmed with Link: Ryan Reaves to NYR for a 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Oh, that is so cute. The Vegas Golden Hearts made sure Reaves would get an extension upon trade and the Rangers happily complied. I assume at first Reaves resisted such kindness yet decided it would be good karma for all involved. My faith in an otherwise cold business world has been restored. Only a matter of time now before Hallmark gets in contact in order to create a tender mini series recreation of this process.

Reactions: Raspewtin and romba

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Just a quick thought
Was it ok when Dave Shultz beat up Dale Rolfe when he had no one to make him answer. Here came Nicki and along those same lines was Bubba to help against Holgrem and Brown
Every team needs at least one of this kind of player because the players have to police themselves and the reason for that is that the league does not
the game was extraordinarily different in the era of Dave Schultz lol come on

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Didn't realize that Reaves and Wilson had such a history. Wilson definitely didn't like us trading for Reaves.

Having Reaves on the team isn't going to prevent anything fron happening. At best, Reaves will retalliate, but Wilson isn't going to tone it down because Reaves is sitting on the bench 20 meters away

Reactions: JCProdigy

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Most Cup winning teams have the center depth we lack. That’s what we need.

Messier was in a different league yet there was a pretty steep drop off to line two. Strome might be the best fit although i wish he had a little more Craig Janney in him.

I think the Rangers role with Strome and see if a Chytil, Barron or Henricksson emerges. Worst case i guess they find an inexpensive aging vet after Strome.

If these wingers can’t win without an elite #2 center then they aren’t worth it. Honestly, that’s when you do trade a Kakko.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I'm not really concerned with what happened in 1994, I was kinda thinking the last 10-15 years.

well,in that case drain the wings for centers. Laf and Kakko for Lundell? Btw, there was more to the post than line one for you which addresses something similar to the past decade.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Just a quick thought
Was it ok when Dave Shultz beat up Dale Rolfe when he had no one to make him answer. Here came Nicki and along those same lines was Bubba to help against Holgrem and Brown
Every team needs at least one of this kind of player because the players have to police themselves and the reason for that is that the league does not

After years of being bullied by the Flyers and Bruins the 1978-79 Rangers grew around a foot each after Nicky Fotiu got the best of Behn Wilson. Then the next year they added Beck and vs LA in the playoffs it was the Rangers upsetting the higher seeded Kings by playing physical.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I disagree, Reaves put a genuine hurting on Wilson more than once.

As AK was saying. Reaves on the bench, 50 ft away. Didn't stop Wilson.

Wilson and Reaves have fought each other twice. Both times unremarkable. Both times when Reaves was with the Blues before the above. Both times it was Wilson actually instigating the fight. First because Reaves hit Backstrom. Second was because Backstrom boarded a Blues player and Reaves was skating towards Backstrom and then Wilson intervened. Also I guess Backstrom didn't get the memo to not board somebody when Reaves was on the team.

The actual hopeful benefit of Reaves? Good voice in the locker room. Will set the tone with some physical play. Will allow the skill players to "feel" like they are protected. Will try and respond to physical/dirty play by the opponent and have teammates' backs. But again, He isn't going to deter Wilson from being Wilson. The only two people capable of that are George Parros or Wilson himself and neither have shown the willingness to do so.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
well,in that case drain the wings for centers. Laf and Kakko for Lundell? Btw, there was more to the post than line one for you which addresses something similar to the past decade.

I'm not sure what you said that is worth responding to. Ok, at this point I think they role with Strome too. I also agree that with our winger talent that we can go lighter than elite at center, ie, lighter than say, Crosby and Malkin.

None of this changes anything I'm saying. We need top center talent into this organization, stat.

Krebs and Lundell aren't going to be Crosbys and Malkins, but they are the kind of top 6, defensively responsible, and affordable centers we are going to need if we are going to be driven by Laf and Kakko.

There is some ridiculous notion on this board that the rebuild is done and we are good to go.

It's absurdity. Frankly, it's irrational homerism which is taking it's cue from two things, the first being, that team management has issued a directive that they want to "win now," so a certain segment of the fan base is lining up behind management, and second, there is a "the cool kids know better," mentality on this forum that is dismissive of what it views as an affinity towards overvaluing prospects.

Unfortunately, neither of these perspectives are grounded in the reality of the Rangers current situation, which is, it has Zibanejad for a couple more seasons where he is both affordable and elite, it has Chytil who it hopes is a quality 2C, and it has really nothing else to count on at center.

This is not enough. Period.

I am sure everyone is tired of hearing the bell being rung for Lundell or Krebs or something like that on this issue, but the team is being short sighted right now. Ignoring center for players of Othmann's quality is dangerous (ie, he is not an entire tier above Svechkov and Lucious). They are painting themselves into a corner where they are going to HAVE to overpay for a center, which will, by definition, weaken their supposed wing strength that was supposed to allow them to go lighter at center to begin with.

This team, IMO, has never put the finishing touches on it's rebuild of the forwards. It went way overboard on defense, but decided somewhere between signing Panarin and re-signing Kreider that the right move was to try to win with Panarin, Kreider and Zibanejad. That's kind of hilarious to me because we already know what a core that features Kreider and Zibanejad as your two best players gets you - not far enough. But I guess we are going to stubbornly try it again.

The right move should have been to continue to trade now for later and find two god damn centers to anchor the top two lines long term. If we had somehow managed, say, to turn Kreider into the ammunition for Lundell and then Buch and Strome last deadline for the ammunition to get up in this draft, where we could have maybe selected, maybe, Sillinger, we'd be set, between those two and Chytil. All we'd be missing, essentially, is Kreider (at this point a third line winger), Blais (who we got in return for Buch), and Strome (who may be shipped out imminently for scraps anyway).

Now we are forced to tie our wagon to whatever long term contract Zibanejad will want, which could completely hamstring us just as Kakko and Lafreniere are entering their primes in about 3-4 years. Further, once Strome is out the door, we have no long term center option besides Chytil. Any center we look to draft, say, next year, will have the usual 2-4 year runway of development, meaning he will be arriving later than we need to maintain continuity of quality center play.

It's just terrible planning.

We need centers in the pipeline.

Now.

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
I only knew Reaves as a bruiser, but after watching some of his stuff on youtube he seems like an interesting character. I think a bonus of the signing will be his effect on the lockerroom, he seems to keep things light and a little on the sarcastic side.

I think it might help some other players loosen up a bit.

I think he's gonna end up being really well liked by players and fans. We'll see

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I'm not sure what you said that is worth responding to. Ok, at this point I think they role with Strome too. I also agree that with our winger talent that we can go lighter than elite at center, ie, lighter than say, Crosby and Malkin.

None of this changes anything I'm saying. We need top center talent into this organization, stat.

Krebs and Lundell aren't going to be Crosbys and Malkins, but they are the kind of top 6, defensively responsible, and affordable centers we are going to need if we are going to be driven by Laf and Kakko.

There is some ridiculous notion on this board that the rebuild is done and we are good to go.

It's absurdity. Frankly, it's irrational homerism which is taking it's cue from two things, the first being, that team management has issued a directive that they want to "win now," so a certain segment of the fan base is lining up behind management, and second, there is a "the cool kids know better," mentality on this forum that is dismissive of what it views as an affinity towards overvaluing prospects.

Unfortunately, neither of these perspectives are grounded in the reality of the Rangers current situation, which is, it has Zibanejad for a couple more seasons where he is both affordable and elite, it has Chytil who it hopes is a quality 2C, and it has really nothing else to count on at center.

This is not enough. Period.

I am sure everyone is tired of hearing the bell being rung for Lundell or Krebs or something like that on this issue, but the team is being short sighted right now. Ignoring center for players of Othmann's quality is dangerous (ie, he is not an entire tier above Svechkov and Lucious). They are painting themselves into a corner where they are going to HAVE to overpay for a center, which will, by definition, weaken their supposed wing strength that was supposed to allow them to go lighter at center to begin with.

This team, IMO, has never put the finishing touches on it's rebuild of the forwards. It went way overboard on defense, but decided somewhere between signing Panarin and re-signing Kreider that the right move was to try to win with Panarin, Kreider and Zibanejad. That's kind of hilarious to me because we already know what a core that features Kreider and Zibanejad as your two best players gets you - not far enough. But I guess we are going to stubbornly try it again.

The right move should have been to continue to trade now for later and find two god damn centers to anchor the top two lines long term. If we had somehow managed, say, to turn Kreider into the ammunition for Lundell and then Buch and Strome last deadline for the ammunition to get up in this draft, where we could have maybe selected, maybe, Sillinger, we'd be set, between those two and Chytil. All we'd be missing, essentially, is Kreider (at this point a third line winger), Blais (who we got in return for Buch), and Strome (who may be shipped out imminently for scraps anyway).

Now we are forced to tie our wagon to whatever long term contract Zibanejad will want, which could completely hamstring us just as Kakko and Lafreniere are entering their primes in about 3-4 years. Further, once Strome is out the door, we have no long term center option besides Chytil. Any center we look to draft, say, next year, will have the usual 2-4 year runway of development, meaning he will be arriving later than we need to maintain continuity of quality center play.

It's just terrible planning.

We need centers in the pipeline.

Now.

lot of words and not sure where any of this talk about the rebuild over, etc, etc, etc all of that is coming from. My previous post sums it up.

excaliber

Mar 30, 2018
Having Reaves on the team isn't going to prevent anything fron happening. At best, Reaves will retalliate, but Wilson isn't going to tone it down because Reaves is sitting on the bench 20 meters away

That's true but other teams will think twice about rag dolling Panarin knowing that we now have someone who will retaliate. I still can't believe no one came to his defense immediately after the incident. The new FO thought the team was weak(which I agree with) and opted to do something about it.

It should be fun to watch as the core is still in place.

Reactions: egelband

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I think it's kind of meh to get him but as long as he's 4th line duty only and maybe not even full time in the lineup then whatever. I have a feeling, especially with the extension, this is more about providing "protection" for the Rangers young kids as they mature

If he's constantly in the lineup getting key minutes and we're tearing our hair out why we're watching him get caved in statistically while a good young crash and bang forth liner is constantly sat then I'll be annoyed

I think he adds some nice attributes. He's big, takes the body, great character, can drop em if he has too.

I really don't think he's getting 'key minutes.' I don't think Goodrow/Blais/young guys are sitting on the bench very often in favor of Reaves.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

I disagree.

Of course, Reaves isn't going to stop everything. However, if I'm a Chytil, Kakko, Panarin etc... I do think it'll give them a bit extra confidence knowing there's a guy who will go the extra mile to support them if they get crushed. Will Wilson be a perfect gentleman? No, but if he crosses the line and knows he has to drop them then he might pull back a bit. Would you want to go toe to toe with Reaves all the time? Some days maybe yes, others no.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I disagree.

Of course, Reaves isn't going to stop everything. However, if I'm a Chytil, Kakko, Panarin etc... I do think it'll give them a bit extra confidence knowing there's a guy who will go the extra mile to support them if they get crushed. Will Wilson be a perfect gentleman? No, but if he crosses the line and knows he has to drop them then he might pull back a bit. Would you want to go toe to toe with Reaves all the time? Some days maybe yes, others no.

100%. Im not sure Wilson will be flexing knowing Reaves is on the other bench.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
what does happen is that Reaves, Blais, and Goodrow will all drop the gloves with Wilson and he will either get a game misconduct or have to tone it down after 2 fights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad