Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 5)

Where is Poehling playing most of this season?

• 4th line Center (ex: Weal-Poehling-Armia)

• Left wing (ex: Poehling-KK-Lehkonen or Poehling-Domi-Shaw)

• 2nd line Center (Domi-Poehling-Shaw)

• Laval

• 3rd line center (move Kotkaniemi to the wing)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Notabaguette

Mar 4, 2018
I traded Barret Hayton to get him today in a keeper, he better be good. I think he will be! 60point guy is my prediction

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Danault? He is a fantastic 3rd line center who’s only claim to fame is being played as 1st line center while breaching the 50 point mark. That is called desperation, playing a 3rd line center as #1, so where do we stand? We have incoming group of rookie centers that have some fairly impressive credentials and achievements to this point. What will we do? If Coconut is any indication, they will be summarily developed as 3rd liners, or worse, while trying to make the playoffs “Now”. I hope I am wrong, but the best indication of future performance is past performance.

Danault is our #1 PKer.

At ES and PP, here is time on ice:

17:20 Domi
15:17 Danault
13:44 Kotkaniemi
11:13 Thompson
9:14 Chaput

So Danault was closer to #3 than #1, clearly #2 other than PK duty.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
At the time of the draft I was one of the very few posters sticking up for Poehling who was getting trashed because of his low production. I've been impressed with him and have ranked him in my top 3 every time. I'm not sold on his offensive upside being a 1st or 2nd line center unless his development takes a big step forward but his overall game is enough to make him a solid NHLer. I admit I was disappointed in his production this year, he did have a great game at the WJC's vs Sweden but I don't put too much into a few games in a short tournament like that.
Probably the smart thing to do

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Danault is our #1 PKer.

At ES and PP, here is time on ice:

17:20 Domi
15:17 Danault
13:44 Kotkaniemi
11:13 Thompson
9:14 Chaput

So Danault was closer to #3 than #1, clearly #2 other than PK duty.
Thanks for the numbers!

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Poehling definitely has some traits that could make him a great winger. Size, speed, a willingness to go to and finish around the net, he could be a power forward with skills and playmaking. But he also should be a 2nd line C if we keep him there. It will be interesting to follow, but regardless, he's going to be a fixture in our top 6 for the next decade.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“You're using a lot of muscles and it's all about timing... I wish it would just correlate to my slap shot. I can't take a slap shot for my life. But I can really hit a golf ball. It honestly sometimes teaches you how to handle pressure tho. When you've got a big putt and you're a little nervous in front of your buddies. It teaches you to be collected in certain times. That's why I enjoy it... It gives you a little rush sometimes.”

“It's cool to walk the course. TV doesn't really do it justice. You see how much elevation change there is... You can't even fathom how they putt. They touch it and it goes 10 feet. It's one of those deals that you can't understand unless you go. We sat on the eighth hole. It was probably my favorite part. It's a par 5, and we watched the guys hit in. Even if they missed the green, they were still chipping it to within four or five feet every time. The consistency is crazy.”

“It was more so natural. But I went to a few lessons and I just kind of picked it up... I like more so playing than hitting the range or anything. Growing up, there's a course like a two-minute walk from my house. We'd sign up for some lessons there. I still learned a lot. I think that's kind of how I first loved the game... My family has always been big golf advocates. The best golfer in our family is my dad. He's pretty solid. My mom also plays in a Women's League. But, if I'm playing hot or one of my brothers is playing well, I think we can beat him.”

“I can go shoot even par or I can go shoot 14-over. So I'm just all over the place. But, I can hit the ball far... I'd say 290 to 300 yards off the tee. Sometimes, you don't know where it's going and it can get away from me. A few of those shots can ruin your score. Other than that, I'm pretty solid...”

“It's timeless. You get on the course and everything feels different. You can't put words to it. It's always going to be there for you. Whether you're 15 years old or 45 years old. You can always go out and play golf with your friends. It's always a special thing to have that in your life, to have that stability...”

“I played one in Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. It was probably one of the best courses. Then, there's Whistling Straits out in Kohler, WI. We went there because my brothers were playing in Green Bay. We dropped them off, but we stopped there to golf. That was just super fun. I love Adam Scott. When I was growing up, he was in his prime. I love his style. He has sweet sponsorships. He's always wearing sweaters. Which is cool. Augusta, obviously. There's also Spyglass and Pebble Beach in California, too. The Open Championship.”

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“Interviews? That part didn't scare me as much as the training stuff did. You'd think it would be the other way around. Twenty-nine interviews is pretty crazy... Going from room to room for like four days straight...”

“Meeting with the Canadiens' brass? I remember walking in and I felt like everyone on the pre-scouting staff is just jacked, just big. I remember sitting down and instantly I was like: oh, jeez... You try not to show it, but I definitely think they could tell.”

“The physical testing portion of the NHL Combine? We kind me and Casey Mittelstadt did each exercise together and it was pretty funny. Because he got on the pull bar before me and he didn't do one pull up. I gave him a lot of grief for that... I was up next and I was wondering: is it that hard? I thought I could get eight or nine... But I only ended up getting five... I was just so shocked that he didn't get one. It was just a big joke... That's probably one of the things I remember from the whole fitness part of it...”

“The Wingate Cycle Ergometer Test? At the end of the 30 second part, where you're going as hard as you can, they drop the weight. They've got a hype guy screaming at you and telling you to go faster and faster. I got off of it and went to the back room and there were like three guys throwing up. I lay down for like 30 minutes because I felt so light-headed... I didn't end up puking, tho... Which was nice...”

“Looking back, it's so silly... When it came to the training stuff, leading up to it, I was so anxious going to bed. I wish I just wasn't... It's about doing what you can and it's all going to fall into place. It's fun to look back at it and joke about it... You take it so seriously and it does matter to an extent. But you're so young, you've so much time to grow. If I had to do it again, I'd just enjoy the process more so than being so anxious about it...”

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Anyone saw Poehling practice so far? How does he look?
Can't decide whether or not I wanna see Poehling this regular season.
Thanks for your indecisive thinking.
He has decent size and he happens to be good in every zone.
Judging from his debut, the Leafs are in no rush to see him. At this point he seems to be more ready than Kotkaniemi or Suzuki.

Reactions: 26Mats

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Judging from his debut, the Leafs are in no rush to see him. At this point he seems to be more ready than Kotkaniemi or Suzuki.
It was just one game though. He does have great potential but we need to be cautious and take our time with our prospects. What if he struggles and CJ demotes him to 4th line as a winger? Confidence is such a big factor for a young player.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
It’s your opinion on Poehling 1st NHL game? It’s your global opinion on Poehling?

It was just one game though. He does have great potential but we need to be cautious and take our time with our prospects. What if he struggles and CJ demotes him to 4th line as a winger? Confidence is such a big factor for a young player.
Being myself alert. Don’t let myself fall on this usual trap. Not overrate him simply of one game. Let him continue.

Reactions: OldCraig71

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
“You're using a lot of muscles and it's all about timing... I wish it would just correlate to my slap shot. I can't take a slap shot for my life. But I can really hit a golf ball. It honestly sometimes teaches you how to handle pressure tho. When you've got a big putt and you're a little nervous in front of your buddies. It teaches you to be collected in certain times. That's why I enjoy it... It gives you a little rush sometimes.”

“It's cool to walk the course. TV doesn't really do it justice. You see how much elevation change there is... You can't even fathom how they putt. They touch it and it goes 10 feet. It's one of those deals that you can't understand unless you go. We sat on the eighth hole. It was probably my favorite part. It's a par 5, and we watched the guys hit in. Even if they missed the green, they were still chipping it to within four or five feet every time. The consistency is crazy.”

“It was more so natural. But I went to a few lessons and I just kind of picked it up... I like more so playing than hitting the range or anything. Growing up, there's a course like a two-minute walk from my house. We'd sign up for some lessons there. I still learned a lot. I think that's kind of how I first loved the game... My family has always been big golf advocates. The best golfer in our family is my dad. He's pretty solid. My mom also plays in a Women's League. But, if I'm playing hot or one of my brothers is playing well, I think we can beat him.”

“I can go shoot even par or I can go shoot 14-over. So I'm just all over the place. But, I can hit the ball far... I'd say 290 to 300 yards off the tee. Sometimes, you don't know where it's going and it can get away from me. A few of those shots can ruin your score. Other than that, I'm pretty solid...”

“It's timeless. You get on the course and everything feels different. You can't put words to it. It's always going to be there for you. Whether you're 15 years old or 45 years old. You can always go out and play golf with your friends. It's always a special thing to have that in your life, to have that stability...”

“I played one in Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. It was probably one of the best courses. Then, there's Whistling Straits out in Kohler, WI. We went there because my brothers were playing in Green Bay. We dropped them off, but we stopped there to golf. That was just super fun. I love Adam Scott. When I was growing up, he was in his prime. I love his style. He has sweet sponsorships. He's always wearing sweaters. Which is cool. Augusta, obviously. There's also Spyglass and Pebble Beach in California, too. The Open Championship.”

He should get lots of practice and be able to round out his game as long he's under contract with MB's Habs.

Reactions: Miller Time

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
He should get lots of practice and be able to round out his game as long he's under contract with MB's Habs.
In golf games? He'll be a bit spoiled if there isn't upcoming PO seasons. That's the Poehling's hobby. He described very well this sport overall.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Poehling definitely has some traits that could make him a great winger. Size, speed, a willingness to go to and finish around the net, he could be a power forward with skills and playmaking. But he also should be a 2nd line C if we keep him there. It will be interesting to follow, but regardless, he's going to be a fixture in our top 6 for the next decade.

This may be an ambitious comparison but Ryan Kesler was a player who was mostly a C, but some coaches wanted him as a scoring winger.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I would have zero problems with the Habs playing Poehling on wing to start his NHL career.... if he shows ability to play and be effective at both ends. However, if he plays AHL, he has to be center

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Poehling has the size to win board battles and the willingness to go the net for garbage goals. He could easily play LW on a top-9 line with a playmaking centre, while still taking draws sometimes like Andrew Shaw does.

Agreed. Heck, he might fit well with Domi or Kotkaniemi. Or even Danault in a center mentor ship role. The option is there and he is one strong young boy

We would not be "ruining" his development if he starts on Wing. Blues are not ruining Thomas's development by playing him on wing.

Reactions: jaffy27

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Hayton has not played against men yet.

Yeah but he's a pretty safe bet to be an NHL player, his fantasy upside is pretty big especially if your league tracks shooting. Add to that the relatively easy path he has in getting to the NHL and lack of high level centre options in Arizona, Hayton def seems like a player worth betting on.

I'm not banking on Poehling being a fantasy darling, his worth def will be higher in the NHL than it will be in fantasy.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah but he's a pretty safe bet to be an NHL player, his fantasy upside is pretty big especially if your league tracks shooting. Add to that the relatively easy path he has in getting to the NHL and lack of high level centre options in Arizona, Hayton def seems like a player worth betting on.

I'm not banking on Poehling being a fantasy darling, his worth def will be higher in the NHL than it will be in fantasy.

I'm not willing to take a bet saying either of them will outproduce the other.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I like Hayton, I liked him more last year than most, but Poehling is certainly much closer to the show right now coming from college and already having a pretty epic cup of coffee under his belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad