Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 3 - Back to school edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
You can't go by stats. Look at Brady Tkachuk's stats last year. They weren't good, yet he was projected (correctly) to be an offensive force. I've heard people in the media who watch college hockey and/or speak with scouts say they don't believe Poehling will be more than a 3rd line center because his offensive ceiling isn't that high. They may be wrong, but that's what some are saying. I'll wait to make my own judgements, as I always do, until he's playing in the AHL or NHL.

For sure as Poehling had a higher ppg and was the same age, although on one of the top teams/offenses in the NCAA. But I would be surprised if Poehling came in and put up the numbers Tkachuk has at least so far.

So excited for our 1st round pick of last year to be a solid 4th liner! Bergevin must be especially happy.

I think many scouts/GM's would be happy if a late 1st round pick was at WORST a 4th liner.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
5-6-7 rarely even crack the NHL lineup most of the time, let alone hold a spot on the line.
?

I said, I'd rather trade a 5th, 6th, or 7th round pick for a 4th liner. I would be pissed if my 1st round pick would be at "worst" some 4th line scrub. I'd want him to be at "best" a top-liner or top-6 at the very least.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I would rather trade a 5-6-7th round pick to acquire a 4th liner (or even better: get him through waivers) than draft one with a late 1st round pick. I wouldn't be happy at all.

but we are talking about someone not in the NHL, so if his worst is 4th liner, then he likely ends up better then that. There aren't a lot of NHL draft picks outside the top 10 that are non pros that you can say at worst they will be 4th liners.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You can't go by stats. Look at Brady Tkachuk's stats last year. They weren't good, yet he was projected (correctly) to be an offensive force. I've heard people in the media who watch college hockey and/or speak with scouts say they don't believe Poehling will be more than a 3rd line center because his offensive ceiling isn't that high. They may be wrong, but that's what some are saying. I'll wait to make my own judgements, as I always do, until he's playing in the AHL or NHL.
Funny enough, if I were to make a comparison for the player that reminds me of Tkachuk the most... it would he Poehling. They play a similar game.

Reactions: Acadien86

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Suzuki it's more speed then skating, he's not slow but he could stand to get quicker. Poehling's a guy that just screams NHLer, he does all the little things right, is hard working, fast, skilled, has the frame, strength skating. I would be very surprised if he's not at worst a solid 4th liner baring a Chipchura like injury. Brook there's just so much to like he really doesn't have a lot of holes to his game, just needs to add mass/strength for the most part, really can't wait to see how he does in the NHL.

to me that would be a disaster, especially after skipping on a fast skilled playmaker like frost... i see alot of similarities in Poehling and danault's game. but also think poehling edges danault in every aspect, passing, physicality and overall abilities. if his developpement staggers and isn't at least a very GOOD 3rd line center, i don't know what to say... feel like he could develop and be a decent 200 foot reliable Centerman who will struggle to score because he can't shoot outside the bluepaint. still chances his developpement take a bump and ends up a RoR type of center, but it's kinda unlikely since he lacks a bit of creativity, but who knows with a 19 year old kid. He does already plays a pro game!

his ability to find crossice passing lane are pretty underrated!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Don't you think so ? I see Tkachuk being a tad more aggressive, but Poehling and Tkachuk are both players that feel heavier, great down low, good on the cycle, none of them have great goalscoring but are still a threat, and they have really good playmaking.

Obviously, Tkachuk is the better prospect here, but stylistically they look alike IMO.

I've seen Poehling play a more laid back game, à la Plekanec, too, so I don't know which it is.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Don't you think so ? I see Tkachuk being a tad more aggressive, but Poehling and Tkachuk are both players that feel heavier, great down low, good on the cycle, none of them have great goalscoring but are still a threat, and they have really good playmaking.

Obviously, Tkachuk is the better prospect here, but stylistically they look alike IMO.

I've seen Poehling play a more laid back game, à la Plekanec, too, so I don't know which it is.

not really, Poehling's game is about speed, he doesn't have that physical game of Tkachuk. I haven't seen a lot of Tkachuk compared to seeing most of Poehling's games in the past 2 years, just not who I would think of.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
not really, Poehling's game is about speed, he doesn't have that physical game of Tkachuk. I haven't seen a lot of Tkachuk compared to seeing most of Poehling's games in the past 2 years, just not who I would think of.
Yes, hence the Plekanec comparison, I've seen a lot of it, but I've also seen Poehling buzz around the net and be a total pain also, which reminds me of Tkachuk. Both players have great strength and overpower their opponent often, though I havent seen that in the NCAA for Poehling.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Yes, hence the Plekanec comparison, I've seen a lot of it, but I've also seen Poehling buzz around the net and be a total pain also, which reminds me of Tkachuk. Both players have great strength and overpower their opponent often, though I havent seen that in the NCAA for Poehling.

Plekanec and Tkachuk are in no way similar. Not sure how Poehling is a comparable to two very different players. That or I'm just very confused by your post.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Pleks? are you saying people compare Poehling to Pleks? Poehling's not really physical, he's got good strength but just don't see him as a guy like Tkachuk who seems to like to piss people off.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Plekanec and Tkachuk are in no way similar. Not sure how Poehling is a comparable to two very different players. That or I'm just very confused by your post.
I'm saying I've seen Poehling play like Tkachuk and like Plekanec, two different players. He adapts himself. He plays a lot of that north south rushing style in the NCAA that Plekanec was so succesful with in the NHL.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016

Tkachuk is the far more effective player with high end pick skills and an elite shot. Poehling is a very good prospect but at this point if they are even comparable, which they are not, Poehling would be a poor man version of Tkachuk.
I see BK as a first liner and RP as a second line forward at his best, maybe best suited for the third line on a Stanley cup contender.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Tkachuk is the far more effective player with high end pick skills and an elite shot. Poehling is a very good prospect but at this point if they are even comparable, which they are not, Poehling would be a poor man version of Tkachuk.
I see BK as a first liner and RP as a second line forward at his best, maybe best suited for the third line on a Stanley cup contender.
Tkachuk doesn't have an elite shot.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
When I think of Poehling, I think of a big and strong, two way, playmaking center, who skates well and competes hard. Not sure who the comp is though.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I know he’s not as sexy as Suzuki or Brook but I think he can be our best prospect not in the NHL right now.

He’s physically and mentally mature and plays a NHL style game that will translate well once he makes the jump. I think the Tkachuk comparisons are the most accurate as they have the same type of game. Big, physical, heavy game with soft hands and defensively responsible. I’m a huge fan and honestly think he becomes a top 2 impact center in the next 2-3 years and for a long time.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Poehling is not overly physical, he doesn't play anything like Pleks imo, as his defensive game is far from Pleks and is more just above average. He has some holes in his defensive game if you compared him to Pleks.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Poehling is not overly physical, he doesn't play anything like Pleks imo, as his defensive game is far from Pleks and is more just above average. He has some holes in his defensive game if you compared him to Pleks.
No comparison is ever going to be completely accurate, but I see a lot of Plekanec in the way he creates his offense.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
For sure as Poehling had a higher ppg and was the same age, although on one of the top teams/offenses in the NCAA. But I would be surprised if Poehling came in and put up the numbers Tkachuk has at least so far.

I think many scouts/GM's would be happy if a late 1st round pick was at WORST a 4th liner.
Huh. Are you serious? You can trade for a fourth liner anytime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DAChampion

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Huh. Are you serious? You can trade for a fourth liner anytime.

I'm talking about before they turn pro. How many late 1st round picks could you say at their worst are locks to be 4th liners? That implies that they can be a good bit better then a 4th liner.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Brook, Ylonen and Suzuki invited to their respective WJC camps - is the USA camp later? Is Poehling eligible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad