Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 3 - Back to school edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
Has anyone watched the games? Production aside, how has his overall game looked?
Sort of been quiet but he scored 2 goals the other day, he know his position, he's pretty sneaky at points and he tips the puck very well. And the one thing I like is he says something to his team mates before face offs and it becomes a success sometimes

Reactions: larrypacman8167

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I'm the only one who really high on Poehling?

Not at all. I’m very high on him too. I think he had Kessler potential. 2nd line 50+ point center who can shut down the other team’s top players. He’s a complete center with good size, speed, skills and IQ. May take 3-4 years before he’s at that level, could be less but he seems to have all the tools and the toolbox as well.

Reactions: Aspirine

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
If he can be a 20 goal 55 point guy and play a solid 2 way game then he is a 2C for us and that's fantastic.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'd still say that ideally he's a 3C. Offensive ability is higher than it appeared to be in his draft year but he still lacks some dimensions that will make him harder to defend to be a true 2C with enough offense.

If he's not beating goalies from outside the slot area in College, he won't in the NHL. It's the same criticism I had of Michael McLeod (and look how he's doing in the AHL so far). It's just harder to open up passing lanes at the pro level when you're not a threat to score.

That being said, his deflection ability is still very very good and I hope that when he is an NHL player that they use him as the net front guy. He's big and strong and his hand eye is very good.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd still say that ideally he's a 3C. Offensive ability is higher than it appeared to be in his draft year but he still lacks some dimensions that will make him harder to defend to be a true 2C with enough offense.

If he's not beating goalies from outside the slot area in College, he won't in the NHL. It's the same criticism I had of Michael McLeod (and look how he's doing in the AHL so far). It's just harder to open up passing lanes at the pro level when you're not a threat to score.

That being said, his deflection ability is still very very good and I hope that when he is an NHL player that they use him as the net front guy. He's big and strong and his hand eye is very good.

On a potential cup contender, I agree. He would be suited very well as a 3C.

How much better is Poehling vs Oloffsson?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Given what we've seen with the Habs, your description of Poehling's net-front skills is exactly what we need. Without stat-checking, I'll wager the Habs' possession/shot analytics are very good because they create so many chances. Their problem is terrible shot quality. No problem getting the puck in the vicinity of the net, but then we morph into the Keystone Cops trying to get the puck in the net, whiffing and skipping and missing every shot.

A sniper would be ideal, but next best is a guy with the hands to redirect the puck. Thomas Vanek built a nice career out of that model.

Reactions: jaffy27

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
If he can be a 20 goal 55 point guy and play a solid 2 way game then he is a 2C for us and that's fantastic.
For sure and I think those numbers could be a realistic high for him in a few years.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Has anyone watched the games? Production aside, how has his overall game looked?

i've seen every game but the first two. He looks a little bit faster this year, I'd like to see more offense from him as they are very deep offensively and as of today's new rankings still the 2nd rated team in the NCAA. They had a weak schedule to start but they did well against a tough team like CC this past weekend and now they face a big test against Denver (Stapley) who are the 5th rated team but have looked really good.

we'll see it's hard to predict how a player is going to translate his game but for now I'd be a bit surprised if he can put up those kind of numbers. 55 pts is lot for this team but then we need to see who are his linemates, how much PP time, etc..

On a potential cup contender, I agree. He would be suited very well as a 3C.

How much better is Poehling vs Oloffsson?

They aren't too far apart imo, I'm not sold on eithers offensive upside being that of say a 2nd line center that puts up 50+ points a year on average. But both are very safe bets to be NHLers, they bring size, speed, skating, two way play. I could see Poehling maybe having a little more offense, he has some holes in his defensive game and isn't the hardest worker in his own end. Olofsson I'm still trying to figure out how good his offensive game is, he clearly has some skills but I'm not sure they are as good as some posters say or think they are.

I've seen a lot more of Poehling so I have a better read on him as it takes a while for me to get up to speed on the newly drafted guys especially when we have so many which has been rare since '08.

Reactions: jaffy27 and Favster

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They aren't too far apart imo, I'm not sold on eithers offensive upside being that of say a 2nd line center that puts up 50+ points a year on average. But both are very safe bets to be NHLers, they bring size, speed, skating, two way play. I could see Poehling maybe having a little more offense, he has some holes in his defensive game and isn't the hardest worker in his own end. Olofsson I'm still trying to figure out how good his offensive game is, he clearly has some skills but I'm not sure they are as good as some posters say or think they are.

I've seen a lot more of Poehling so I have a better read on him as it takes a while for me to get up to speed on the newly drafted guys especially when we have so many which has been rare since '08.

It's kind of what I was thinking too. I realize Poehling has more value and offensive upside but I guess it comes down to Olofsson's draft + 12 months of development by playing in the SHL. If Poehling has similar stats in the NCAA as last year but Olofsson has a very good SHL year and also a better World Juniors. The gap is reduced even more very quickly.

I know more about Poehling than I do with Olofsson. But from what I have been reading about Olofsson, He is a very good 2nd round pick for us.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I
i've seen every game but the first two. He looks a little bit faster this year, I'd like to see more offense from him as they are very deep offensively and as of today's new rankings still the 2nd rated team in the NCAA. They had a weak schedule to start but they did well against a tough team like CC this past weekend and now they face a big test against Denver (Stapley) who are the 5th rated team but have looked really good.

we'll see it's hard to predict how a player is going to translate his game but for now I'd be a bit surprised if he can put up those kind of numbers. 55 pts is lot for this team but then we need to see who are his linemates, how much PP time, etc..

Guess my thought is he seems to have some playmaking ability , some, and he seems to have attributes of Danault/ Eller. Danault/Eller do not have play making attributes. It's a simple way of looking at it I know.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I

Guess my thought is he seems to have some playmaking ability , some, and he seems to have attributes of Danault/ Eller. Danault/Eller do not have play making attributes. It's a simple way of looking at it I know.

yes he has playmaking abilities for sure as that's the main part of his offensive game.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
It would be decent, but with their scoring rathe and how good st-cloud is, it would be nice if he could step up, do little bit more goals and hit around 50pts!
If he does that he'd be a monster, but I think 40 is good, that's a jump by about 33%.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
If he does that he'd be a monster, but I think 40 is good, that's a jump by about 33%.
i mean everyone keeps praising him of how NHL ready he is in his and and physicality, i don't think hitting 50pts in the NCAA would be far fetched for his caliber, specially on a team that scores that much and is that good. i'd realy like him to step up offensively!

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
i mean everyone keeps praising him of how NHL ready he is in his and and physicality, i don't think hitting 50pts in the NCAA would be far fetched for his caliber, specially on a team that scores that much and is that good. i'd realy like him to step up offensively!
Would be nice, and I'm probably the biggest Poehling fan on this board, but that would be a surprise. I think 40 is good progression and we should be happy with that. Hope you're right though!

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
It would be decent, but with their scoring rathe and how good st-cloud is, it would be nice if he could step up, do little bit more goals and hit around 50pts!

Not an expert of US college Hockey but dont think they care as much as our junior teams for players to inflate their numbers playing their bestplayers more than others when they have a big lead, i would think they'll in fact do the opposite......but ya playing on a good offense do help getting points

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Not an expert of US college Hockey but dont think they care as much as our junior teams for players to inflate their numbers playing their bestplayers more than others when they have a big lead, i would think they'll in fact do the opposite......but ya playing on a good offense do help getting points
i get that, i don't want him to inflate stats and give up on his overall games, but like we said we how offensive that team is, i'd like him to be more consistent on the stats sheet, the past 2 games help alot where he got 4pts in 2 games, some other night he was not on the scoreshoot with heavy scoring numbers. i know stats are not always important, but If he's indeed NHL ready, i'd like him to show more offensive than he is right now. no knock on him, i like him and his overall game and he's scoring at a decent pace, i would just like to see a big step up.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
i get that, i don't want him to inflate stats and give up on his overall games, but like we said we how offensive that team is, i'd like him to be more consistent on the stats sheet, the past 2 games help alot where he got 4pts in 2 games, some other night he was not on the scoreshoot with heavy scoring numbers. i know stats are not always important, but If he's indeed NHL ready, i'd like him to show more offensive than he is right now. no knock on him, i like him and his overall game and he's scoring at a decent pace, i would just like to see a big step up.
I doubt he gets 50... Not because he's not capable of it...but because of how deep we are.
We can easily roll 4 lines and beat anyone. So...it becomes hard to stop just one line. That said...it also means that if games stay 5x5 he's not going to be out there every other shift or every third shift in close games because of how comfortable we are putting any line out there against any other.
45 is possible especially if we go as deep as I think we can as by that point we'd be at 43+ games. But keep in mind that he could miss 2 games for the WJC as well depending on how the US does.
Put it this way...we are deeper than last year and last year our leading scorer had 42 points. 50 is going to be a stretch IMO.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Poehling has question marks surrounding his offensive upside, Suzuki surrounding his skating. Brook is a supreme skater and his offensive production has been astronomical. That may be why.

I'm still going to wait until all three of these players play at the AHL or NHL level before having any kind of feeling about my projections for them at the NHL level.

Poehling only has those question marks due to reputation. He out produces Mittlestatd last season despite being younger, Mittlestatd doesn't have that reputation

Reactions: Sterling Archer

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Poehling only has those question marks due to reputation. He out produces Mittlestatd last season despite being younger, Mittlestatd doesn't have that reputation

You can't go by stats. Look at Brady Tkachuk's stats last year. They weren't good, yet he was projected (correctly) to be an offensive force. I've heard people in the media who watch college hockey and/or speak with scouts say they don't believe Poehling will be more than a 3rd line center because his offensive ceiling isn't that high. They may be wrong, but that's what some are saying. I'll wait to make my own judgements, as I always do, until he's playing in the AHL or NHL.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Suzuki it's more speed then skating, he's not slow but he could stand to get quicker. Poehling's a guy that just screams NHLer, he does all the little things right, is hard working, fast, skilled, has the frame, strength skating. I would be very surprised if he's not at worst a solid 4th liner baring a Chipchura like injury. Brook there's just so much to like he really doesn't have a lot of holes to his game, just needs to add mass/strength for the most part, really can't wait to see how he does in the NHL.
So excited for our 1st round pick of last year to be a solid 4th liner! Bergevin must be especially happy.

Reactions: bsl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad