Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 3 - Back to school edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Depending when his season ends, we could see him this year- Bergevin said as much. I think he's almost a lock to join Kotka, Domi, and Danault at center next year and could definitely see the lines being similar to what you posted though Suzuki should be there as well. I'd roll 4 lines of:

Tatar-Kotka-Gallagher
Drouin-Domi-Armia
Lehkonen-Poehling-Suzuki
Byron-Danault-Shaw/DLo/Peca

Gives a nice mix of size and skill on every line.

I don't know...he could be NHL ready, but will he be good enough to take a C spot from Kotka, Domi, or Danault? If he's in the NHL, he should be playing on one of the top three lines.

If the Habs do want to fit him in, I suppose Domi could be moved to wing or Danault traded (not sure I see him on the 4th line). However Danault does a lot of heavy lifting for the club and I'm not sure we'll be ready to trade him as early as next year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Watched Poehling's game tonight, kind of boring as SCSU just steam rolled BC 7-0. Now SCSU is the #2 rated team in the NCAA (behind Evans former team Notre Dame) and BC is off to the worst start in a very long time (as their coach has been there for 47 years and they said it's the worst start he's ever had)

So no points for Poehling, he was on the ice for one goal but didn't have anything to do with it. He and his linemate Robby Jackson had a real nice play early on in their own end and then if Jackson had passed it over to Poehling he was wide open alone in the slot. He ended up getting a pass from the other linemate and it looked like he was going to have an easy tap in goal but the goalie made a great save.

Next up they face Primeau/Harris on Saturday night, Primeau better be ready as SCSU might be the best team in the NCAA and their offense is sick, 4 lines that can all hurt you.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Watched Poehling's game tonight, kind of boring as SCSU just steam rolled BC 7-0. Now SCSU is the #2 rated team in the NCAA (behind Evans former team Notre Dame) and BC is off to the worst start in a very long time (as their coach has been there for 47 years and they said it's the worst start he's ever had)

So no points for Poehling, he was on the ice for one goal but didn't have anything to do with it. He and his linemate Robby Jackson had a real nice play early on in their own end and then if Jackson had passed it over to Poehling he was wide open alone in the slot. He ended up getting a pass from the other linemate and it looked like he was going to have an easy tap in goal but the goalie made a great save.

Next up they face Primeau/Harris on Saturday night, Primeau better be ready as SCSU might be the best team in the NCAA and their offense is sick, 4 lines that can all hurt you.

Thanks for the update!

What is Poehling's usage like in terms of minutes situationally? Just curious

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec

I'm far from as knowledgeable as you are when it comes to the NCAA, but I don't recall Boston College getting steamrolled like that before.

Thanks for the update!

Stéphane Leroux was at the game tonight and said on Hockey360 that Poehling was set to play on the 2nd line.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Thanks for the update!

he's on the top line but they seemed to cut his lines ice time, likely because it was a blowout and they wanted to give the lower lines more ice. They have a brand new coach so I'm still getting used to him as it's been 3 games so far and they were all easy ones although SCSU's strength is that they can roll 4 lines and all of them give teams fits. After tomorrow's game their schedule gets tougher but I don't think they will lose too many games this year.

I'm far from as knowledgeable as you are when it comes to the NCAA, but I don't recall Boston College getting steamrolled like that before.

it's rare for sure, BC is usually a powerhouse in the HE conference, they brought back the 2nd most goals from last year (SCSU was 1st) so this is a big surprise but after getting swept by Wisconsin, a team that struggled last year and is a young team it was clear they haven't gotten off to their usual start.

Reactions: cphabs

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
it's rare for sure, BC is usually a powerhouse in the HE conference, they brought back the 2nd most goals from last year (SCSU was 1st) so this is a big surprise but after getting swept by Wisconsin, a team that struggled last year and is a young team it was clear they haven't gotten off to their usual start.

Interesting, I guess the key players left, or maybe a lot of them are underperforming.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Looking forward to seeing Poehling join the Habs, after they win the NCAA Championship. He's quite the leader & character type of center that will blend in with this Habs team, like bread with butter.

Reactions: dralaf and jaffy27

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Looking forward to seeing Poehling join the Habs, after they win the NCAA Championship. He's quite the leader & character type of center that will blend in with this Habs team, like bread with butter.
Ya, Poehling is going to fit like a glove.

Reactions: dralaf

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Poehling will probably join Habs organization this year. Suzuki next. We’ll need to make some room at the trade deadline and or the draft and keep stock piling picks to make space and keep adding to the cupboard.

Reactions: Redux91

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
From what I've read, the calendar of his team ends in mid April, so he won't.

depends on how far they go, if they make it to the Final Fours, which is highly likely although they choked badly last year losing in one of the biggest upsets I've seen in some time. If they do make it to the Final Fours, it ends on April 7th. If they don't make it, their season will end on March 9th and then the playoffs will start on the 16th. They will very likely make the NCAA tournament which starts March 23rd/24th.

Stanley Cup is rewarded sometimes early June though

It's not like we have to worry about that.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
watched Poehling, good game by him tonight. 2 goals, one was a empty netter. He had another new line, as last game he was with his brothers but that was ugly as it was likely his worst game of the season. They are more hard working grinders, Ryan needs to be with the skilled players. Tonight he was back with his usual LW, Robby Jackson who he's almost always with but he was out last game, and on RW he had a brand new linemate in the Freshman Nolan Walker who's gotten off to a good start after spending his time as the 4th line center.

It wasn't a pretty night for SCSU, they were down what should of been 3-1 as CC missed a wide open net early on and that would come back to bite them. In the 3rd SCSU tied it up and CC came back and SCSU tied it up again only to have Poehling seal the deal with the empty netter. While Poehling usually is more often to pass, tonight he was shooting more as in addition to the 2 goals, he had a nice move where he brought the puck out of the corner and made a power move to the net but couldn't tuck it in. Later on during a PP he had a nice wrist shot from the point (he plays the point on the PP).

One thing I've now noticed, this is a brand new coach, he was an assistant at UMD that just won the National Championship last year. I thought he was given Poehling some rest not over using him as their schedule was really light to start until last weekend but that first game was a blowout against BC and vs Northeastern it was an all Poehling line and they did not play that well so I thought maybe he didn't play him much was for that reason. But tonight when they were down most of the night, he still rolled 4 lines and didn't look to double shift Poehling. Now SCSU's main weapon is their impressive scoring depth, just that I thought he would have Poehling playing more but looks like he's going to just steady roll 4 lines with equal playing time as this was a big conference game on the road and SCSU was not looking too sharp until the 3rd imo.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
How did Sam Hentges look? He was a 7th round pick at the last draft??? Might that be a steal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad