Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 3 - Back to school edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I would expect around 40 pts if he plays about 34 games (he'll miss 2 for the WJC's). If he plays 34 he's on pace for 43 although that's against very weak teams. Aside from Bemidji in a few weeks their schedule is pretty tough. They face BC/Northeastern next weekend on the road which should be interesting. Then CC and Denver the next weekend so some tough games coming up although SCSU could be the top ranked team in the NCAA after this weekend as the #1 Ohio St lost to UMass.

If he can get close to 50 pts in 34 games that would be sick.
What do you think of his teammate Nolan Walker?

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
If the Habs are serious about their C development, he needs to be taken away from the top two lines and from offensive opportunities. I love Danault and think hes a perfect C, but on the third line, where hed match up nicely against the Kadris, Eller, Bonino and Brassard. We need to develop Poehling pr Suzuki as a 2C and Kotka as a 1C.
Assuming Kotka is who you think he is, I think we've got a future 4 down the middle of

Kotka
Domi
Poehling
Danault

And I think that is quite good.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I would expect around 40 pts if he plays about 34 games (he'll miss 2 for the WJC's). If he plays 34 he's on pace for 43 although that's against very weak teams. Aside from Bemidji in a few weeks their schedule is pretty tough. They face BC/Northeastern next weekend on the road which should be interesting. Then CC and Denver the next weekend so some tough games coming up although SCSU could be the top ranked team in the NCAA after this weekend as the #1 Ohio St lost to UMass.

If he can get close to 50 pts in 34 games that would be sick.
Overall I'll be happy with over a ppg and a great showing at the WJC.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Assuming Kotka is who you think he is, I think we've got a future 4 down the middle of

Kotka
Domi
Poehling
Danault

Domi is good at C and his versatility is a good thing, but he's not going to cut it as a 2c, he needs to be on the wing.

Danault is a luxury at #4 and needs to be moved, even though I love him, if thats where he ends up.

I'd much rather

Kotka
Poehling
Danault
Random 4th line C like Mitchell or Peca

If Poehling can be as good as we both think he can be.

Obviously Id much rather

Hughes/Kotka
Kota/Dach/Cozen
Poehling
Danault

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I wouldn’t even mind that. If Danault is your 4th line center, you’re doing pretty damn good with center depth.

What’s more concerning is asset management and getting quality for players who don’t seem to have a future with the club like Scherbak, Petry, Armia, Hudon etc.

The Habs just paid millions (in real money) to acquire Armia. I doubt they have any intention to move him.

In my opinion, the odd mans out are: Shaw, Hudon, Plekanec, Petry. These guys are the most likely players to not be there at next training camp

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Domi is good at C and his versatility is a good thing, but he's not going to cut it as a 2c, he needs to be on the wing.

Danault is a luxury at #4 and needs to be moved, even though I love him, if thats where he ends up.

I'd much rather

Kotka
Poehling
Danault

Obviously Id much rather

Hughes/Kotka
Kota/Dach/Cozen
Poehling
Danault
I don't know how you can be watching Domi right now and not be thinking he is a top 6 C for us going forward. Maybe his play falls off, but right now he is playing absolutely tremendous hockey.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I don't know how you can be watching Domi right now and not be thinking he is a top 6 C for us going forward. Maybe his play falls off, but right now he is playing absolutely tremendous hockey.

It all depends if he can keep this up. If he can then Domi/Poehling as a 2a/2b scenario could be pretty solid. I think if we can get that big star winger somehow we can look really good. Suzuki's a good start but I don't think he's quite enough. Hopefully Ylonen can be a top 6er. We'd need another trigger man I think. Hopefully Gallagher doesn't break down too fast and Lehkonen can still turn into a 25-30 guy. I'm not writing off Drouin but I don't have the greatest of feelings of him going forward. Maybe if he's on a 2nd line surrounded by guys better than him.

We have some really good pieces but I think we at least that one more big name up front to get us into true contender category. D wise we might be close enough with Brook but it all depends on what he can do as a pro.

Ideally we tank the next two years and yes the whole 'top 5 picks don't ensure success' is being considered but I still think it would be best for us.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

I'd much rather

Kotka
Poehling
Danault

Obviously Id much rather

Hughes/Kotka
Kota/Dach/Cozen
Poehling
Danault

Danault's good as a winger, there's no need to move him.

Gabriiel40

Dec 13, 2017
didn't notice him, I only saw the 2 games as I missed the season openers but the guy that was the most noticeable was the Senior Newell as he was flying out there. But it was against a real weak team. I'll keep an eye on him next weekend.

What about jack ahcan? 7 points in 4 games so far. Undated due to size is my guess.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
It all depends if he can keep this up. If he can then Domi/Poehling as a 2a/2b scenario could be pretty solid. I think if we can get that big star winger somehow we can look really good. Suzuki's a good start but I don't think he's quite enough. Hopefully Ylonen can be a top 6er. We'd need another trigger man I think. Hopefully Gallagher doesn't break down too fast and Lehkonen can still turn into a 25-30 guy. I'm not writing off Drouin but I don't have the greatest of feelings of him going forward. Maybe if he's on a 2nd line surrounded by guys better than him.

We have some really good pieces but I think we at least that one more big name up front to get us into true contender category. D wise we might be close enough with Brook but it all depends on what he can do as a pro.

Ideally we tank the next two years and yes the whole 'top 5 picks don't ensure success' is being considered but I still think it would be best for us.
this is all reasonable, but I think the pieces are falling into place quicker than anyone could have imagined.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
this is all reasonable, but I think the pieces are falling into place quicker than anyone could have imagined.

Though this good start feels better than the last good starts we've had I can still see us coming down to earth a bit. I'm loving Domi but I'm still cautious when it comes to him. i just don't know if he can keep up this intensity. I hear effort was never an issue but can he really play like this night in night out? We've just been burned so many times before so I'm going to wait a bit. If he keeps this up he's the best C we've had since Koivu. Could even be better.

Would be amazing if he could push Poehling down to #3C in the long term. I still like size up the middle though especially come playoff time. Interesting to see what Domi could do in the playoffs. I think his skating and effort level could overcome the lack of size. He's quickly coming one of my favourite players. Decent shot from that last goal. Would be great if he could get that going.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Because Koivu+prime Plekanec weren't good enough.
Is Kotka going to be better than Koivu? I'm not sure. Domi better than prime Plek, I doubt it.

Reactions: bsl

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What about jack ahcan? 7 points in 4 games so far. Undated due to size is my guess.

maybe a good AHLer. The main guy I want us to sign from that team is Robby Jackson, he's smallish but what a release on that shot and he's always Poehling's LW. They have changed the RW's but Jackson was always his LW and they seem to have good chemistry.

Reactions: QuebecPride

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Because Koivu+prime Plekanec weren't good enough.
Is Kotka going to be better than Koivu? I'm not sure. Domi better than prime Plek, I doubt it.

Prime Pleks was 70 pt Pleks imo which Koivu never played with. Pleks was also offensively challenged in the playoffs. Kotka can definitely be better than injury riddled Koivu. If Domi keeps this up he's at least as good as Prime Pleks. He has his speed. Maybe even a bit faster. Better vision. Doesn't have his shot though. Don't know about the D side but if he shows up offensively come spring then it's a different ball game. Poehling as your #3 is pretty much a luxury at that spot.

It's not the most drool worthy Center line but it's damn good potentially. We'd need more fire power on the wings though. Suzuki and Gallagher's a good start but we need more imo.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

There is no chance Montreal can tank with that lineup. They’re a bubble/WC team this year.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Though this good start feels better than the last good starts we've had I can still see us coming down to earth a bit. I'm loving Domi but I'm still cautious when it comes to him. i just don't know if he can keep up this intensity. I hear effort was never an issue but can he really play like this night in night out? We've just been burned so many times before so I'm going to wait a bit. If he keeps this up he's the best C we've had since Koivu. Could even be better.

Would be amazing if he could push Poehling down to #3C in the long term. I still like size up the middle though especially come playoff time. Interesting to see what Domi could do in the playoffs. I think his skating and effort level could overcome the lack of size. He's quickly coming one of my favourite players. Decent shot from that last goal. Would be great if he could get that going.
He definitely lacks length, but he’s got great strength. There was a play vs Ottawa where defender tried to light him up and just went flying off of him.

And I do think this compete is for real. This is who he is, it’s in his DNA ala Gallagher.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Funny enough but Poehling is a bit Domi like though obviously bigger, and not as fast. But both guys are playmakers who are smart, skilled and going to work harder than their opponent. Having those 2 in our middle 6 will definitely be an asset going forward. I think teams will have trouble matching the compete level. The big question is can Kotkaniemi be that #1. I like what I’ve seen so far, but I’m less confident in that than I am in Domi/Poehling as an excellent middle 6 combo.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He has value in the league though, if we ever end up with him as a 4C, hed be a good fish to move.
Danault doesn’t play the PP and Julien rolls 4 lines. How you order the centers doesn’t matter. I could see (no order).

Drouin-Domi-Armia
Tatar-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Poehling-Suzuki
Byron-Danault-Shaw

Reactions: Habitant le colon

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Prime Pleks was 70 pt Pleks imo which Koivu never played with. Pleks was also offensively challenged in the playoffs. Kotka can definitely be better than injury riddled Koivu. If Domi keeps this up he's at least as good as Prime Pleks. He has his speed. Maybe even a bit faster. Better vision. Doesn't have his shot though. Don't know about the D side but if he shows up offensively come spring then it's a different ball game. Poehling as your #3 is pretty much a luxury at that spot.

It's not the most drool worthy Center line but it's damn good potentially. We'd need more fire power on the wings though. Suzuki and Gallagher's a good start but we need more imo.

I get very little excitement at the thought of these guys manning our center line. I really think we will enter back into our perpetual state of ''good but not good enough''. Now, if we get Hughes...him and Kotka, we talking.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
The Habs just paid millions (in real money) to acquire Armia. I doubt they have any intention to move him.

In my opinion, the odd mans out are: Shaw, Hudon, Plekanec, Petry. These guys are the most likely players to not be there at next training camp

Habs just paid Alzner millions in the form of a contract. Think they wouldn’t love to be able to get rid of it?

Armia doesn’t have that contract nor has he cemented his position on the lineup. Hopefully he can turn it around but so far he’s been very disappointing. If someone pushes him out, I don’t think Habs hesitate to move him. That’s the benefit of having deep pockets.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Funny enough but Poehling is a bit Domi like though obviously bigger, and not as fast. But both guys are playmakers who are smart, skilled and going to work harder than their opponent. Having those 2 in our middle 6 will definitely be an asset going forward. I think teams will have trouble matching the compete level. The big question is can Kotkaniemi be that #1. I like what I’ve seen so far, but I’m less confident in that than I am in Domi/Poehling as an excellent middle 6 combo.

I don't liken Poehling to Domi, who is small and very fast He is actually more like Kotkaniemi with good vision but not quite as elite. This is why I see him as a middle 6 C and not a 1C.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Kotka
Domi
Poehling
Danault

If Kotka can score 20-30 goals and 60-70 pts per year, then yeah, I say this is very solid. I think the biggest issue at this stage is a PMD at LD to play with Weber and goal scoring wingers. We lack shooters and goal scoring power on the wings

Gallagher, Drouin, Tatar, Lehkonen, Byron, Armia are decent current wingers but I'd prefer to see a sniper in this mix. We don't have it.

Suzuki can possibly fit that role but If we are getting picky, we need a Zadina or Svechnikov type.

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If Kotka can score 20-30 goals and 60-70 pts per year, then yeah, I say this is very solid. I think the biggest issue at this stage is a PMD at LD to play with Weber and goal scoring wingers. We lack shooters and goal scoring threats on the wings

Gallagher, Drouin, Tatar, Lehkonen, Byron, Armia are decent current wingers but I'd prefer to see a sniper in this mix. We don't have it.

Suzuki can possibly fit that role but If we are getting picky, we need a Zadina or Svechnikov type.

Suzuki could very likely fill the role of sniper, and Danault can be moved for a PMD D.

We also have cap space to acquire good players who will want to join the club if it continues to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->