Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I believe Poehling was playing on a line with Joey Anderson and Brady Tkachuk. 2nd line checking role but they are going to be a force to deal with at both ends of the ice IMO. I won't be surprise to see them mix up their top 6 too.
No doubt, and I do really like Brady Tkachuk. If we could somehow land him in the upcoming draft that would be amazing, but don't think it's realistic.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Personally I don't have a problem occasionally going with big guys where the offence is still a question mark. But it's worth pointing out that the same evidence was used to support the De La Rose pick (Which I actually was a fan of) and his offence hasn't materialized. So still always hit/miss when those question marks are there.

Still Poehling is looking like he was a good pick, the key will be to continue to develop year after year and not plateau at some point.

Yeah, there was a real misrepresentation of DeLaRose at the time with the montage of him taking the puck to the net and scoring. He seemed like an offensive power forward candidate. I liked the potential then, but feel cheated today.

Peohling seems to be playing consistent, intelligent hockey. Looks like the real deal.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
DLR had offensive skills at the lower levels, but for a guy his size, you have to be pretty special to be able to translate that to the NHL. He just doesn't have the time and space to make offensive moves in the NHL.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
- DLR progression in the 12 months after being drafed <<< Poehling progression in the 12 months after being drafted

- Poehling was rated in the top 10-15 range heading into the draft. He slipped in the draft (25th) due to his stats not being very good while he played against men as a 17 year old.

- DLR was rated as a late 1st and early 2nd round pick. Habs picked him up 34th overall.

DLR was never considered to be an offensive player. From what I remember, he was a big body that can skate and played responsible hockey. Poehling to me is similar but has way more offensive potential. That's why he was rated in the 10-15 range heading into the draft. The concerns of why he slipped to 25th have been addressed this year (so far).

I'm not sure what your point is as none of what you said relates to my point about DLR which is that producing against your age group for a dozenish games and not producing against "men" for the rest of the season isn't very strong evidence that a player's offence is fine. It's still a big question mark.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not sure what your point is as none of what you said relates to my point about DLR which is that producing against your age group for a dozenish games and not producing against "men" for the rest of the season isn't very strong evidence that a player's offence is fine. It's still a big question mark.

My point was you compared Poehling (mid 1st round pick rating) to DLR (fringe 1st round pick, early 2nd) and you are comparing one player who is showing potential while the other has developed to be a 4th or 3rd line player at best. What are your motives? Seriously... Go on record now. Please tell us that Poehling is going to be the next DLR.

I think you missed my point. I was referring to Poehling have concerns with offensive ability and he addressed this since being drafted in this season so far. DLR was never considered to be a offensive player (before or after being drafted)

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
My point was you compared Poehling (mid 1st round pick rating) to DLR (fringe 1st round pick, early 2nd) and you are comparing one player who is showing potential while the other has developed to be a 4th or 3rd line player at best. What are your motives? Seriously... Go on record now. Please tell us that Poehling is going to be the next DLR.

I think you missed my point. I was referring to Poehling have concerns with offensive ability and he addressed this since being drafted in this season so far. DLR was never considered to be a offensive player (before or after being drafted)
I like comparing Poehling to McCarron. Both had poor offensive stats in their draft year, but Poehling improved whereas McCarron put up poor offensive stats in his post draft season as well. I was initially skeptical of the Poehling pick but really like how its looking now.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I like comparing Poehling to McCarron. Both had poor offensive stats in their draft year, but Poehling improved whereas McCarron put up poor offensive stats in his post draft season as well. I was initially skeptical of the Poehling pick but really like how its looking now.

McCarron did not make the US team as a 18 year old or 19 year old. Poehling has way more upside IMO. He has all 3 (Size, Skating, Skill). McCarron had size and average skill but his skating is not the best.

Like I said before... the development in the 12 months after being drafted (age 17-18) is critical. Some show potential later than this but most impact players prove their worth right away. The draft is age 17 and under and the development at age 18 and 19 is huge. You find out pretty quick weather they will be impact NHL players, 4th line players, or not even NHL players.

Lets look at Ikonen. Rumors at the time of being drafted was he will play with Frolunda in the SHL but we quickly learned he was not good enough and was sent to KalPa on loan to develop. I am waiting to see what he can do at the U20 tournament with Findland. But his 6pts in 29 games are not a great start with KalPa.

Last edited:

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
McCarron really had no business going in the first round. Poehling had poor production last year, but he was playing against men in the NCAA.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Yeah, there was a real misrepresentation of DeLaRose at the time with the montage of him taking the puck to the net and scoring. He seemed like an offensive power forward candidate. I liked the potential then, but feel cheated today.

Peohling seems to be playing consistent, intelligent hockey. Looks like the real deal.

Where is this De La Rose being an offensive candidate coming from? He's always been a touted as a good shut down defensive center with the odd chip in goal kinda guy.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
McCarron really had no business going in the first round. Poehling had poor production last year, but he was playing against men in the NCAA.

I agree. Habs fell into the trap at trying to draft someone with size and McCarron was taken way to early. Same as Tinordi back when. I don't think it's fair to compare Poehling to potential bust or fringe NHL players today. What Poehling has accomplished so far this year is impressive.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Where is this De La Rose being an offensive candidate coming from? He's always been a touted as a good shut down defensive center with the odd chip in goal kinda guy.

That's what I remember about DLR at the time of being drafted. He was never projected as a top 6 forward and there was concerns of lack of offense right from the time of being drafted. Comparing him to Poehling after what he has accomplished as a 18 year old so far is not a fair comparison IMO.

Not sure who the better comparison is but DLR is not it. Problem is Poehling played NCAA as a 17 year old and that don't happen too often.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
That's what I remember about DLR at the time of being drafted. He was never projected as a top 6 forward and there was concerns of lack of offense right from the time of being drafted. Comparing him to Poehling after what he has accomplished as a 18 year old so far is not a fair comparison IMO.

Not sure who the better comparison is but DLR is not it. Problem is Poehling played NCAA as a 17 year old and that don't happen too often.

I remember the comparisons were, to the defensive upside to Pleks, and to offense was Deharnais, but I stress, both comparisons were upside.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Are some seriously comparing McCarron with Poehling??

Poehling played NCAA as a 17-year old for crying out loud. McCarron was a 0.5 PPG OHL player in his D+1 year.

The only similarity here is that they’re American.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Are some seriously comparing McCarron with Poehling??

Poehling played NCAA as a 17-year old for crying out loud. McCarron was a 0.5 PPG OHL player in his D+1 year.

The only similarity here is that they’re American.

I think some are still a bit confused at the ripple effects from a very bad 4 year span of drafting (2008-2011). They think everything we touch will bust now. That will change and it takes time

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

That's the type of montage they showed when he was drafted. Nobody referred to him as a good, shutdown defensive C. We just saw clips of him in the O-zone, taking the puck to the net. Pull out the draft tape and look at it again...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No doubt, and I do really like Brady Tkachuk. If we could somehow land him in the upcoming draft that would be amazing, but don't think it's realistic.

Same with me. If I had to choose, it would be Dahlin and Tkachuk. I've been watching Zadina closely but I would pick Tkachuk over him and I like Zadina a lot. I hear it's a deep draft but I'm really seeing it. I see a lot of solid 1st round picks but I think when we look back, there will be many top 9F and top 4D NHL players but I think the 2016 draft was much better. Matthews, Laine, PLD, Tkachuck, Keller, Sergachev, Brown, McAvoy... it goes on an on. I don't see this draft stacking up well against the 2016 draft.

Are they saying this years draft is deep because you will snag a solid pick in the 2nd round where he would go in the 1st round in previous years?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's the type of montage they showed when he was drafted. Nobody referred to him as a good, shutdown defensive C. We just saw clips of him in the O-zone, taking the puck to the net. Pull out the draft tape and look at it again...

I remember the concern with him was he lacked offensive upside but skated well and had size. It was proven to be true. I think he's a solid young player that will fill a spot in the bottom 6 but nothing more. I don't see the Poehling comparison has Poehling has way more offensive upside before and after being drafted.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I remember the concern with him was he lacked offensive upside but skated well and had size. It was proven to be true. I think he's a solid young player that will fill a spot in the bottom 6 but nothing more. I don't see the Poehling comparison has Poehling has way more offensive upside before and after being drafted.

There was much more coverage of Poehling after he got traded than there was of DLR.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

As I thought you didn't even read my post. I never compared Poehling to DLR. I said the evidence you used (Producing against his age group) isn't very good and I gave an example why the evidence isn't very good.

And for the record Poehling wasn't a mid round pick, he was drafted 25th. That's a late round pick by everybody's definition, and the difference between 25 and 34 is pretty minimal anyways). In fact at 25 you have a 8.3% chance of getting a top-6 player whereas early 2nd round picks (31-35) have a 10.8%.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There was much more coverage of Poehling after he got traded than there was of DLR.

Not sure. What I do know is Poehling has addressed the Offensive worries since being drafted while DLR was never considered to have offensive upside before or after drafted.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
As I thought you didn't even read my post. I never compared Poehling to DLR. I said the evidence you used (Producing against his age group) isn't very good and I gave an example why the evidence isn't very good.

And for the record Poehling wasn't a mid round pick, he was drafted 25th. That's a late round pick by everybody's definition, and the difference between 25 and 34 is pretty minimal anyways). In fact at 25 you have a 8.3% chance of getting a top-6 player whereas early 2nd round picks (31-35) have a 10.8%.

You put Poehling and DLR in the same sentence. Not me. I question the motives of this.

I said Poehling was rated in the 10-15 range before the draft and I was very clear about that several times actually. And you say I don't read your posts?

Edit: Although I said he was rated in the 10-15 range, I will change that to 13-20 range in most ratings heading into the draft. Some had him at th 13, 14, 15 spots. Some had him near 20 and some had him near the end of the 1st round.

Last edited:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
You put Poehling and DLR in the same sentence. Not me. I question the motives of this.

No I didn't. Check my original post, I didn't even put their names in the same frickin paragraph. The only time I even mentioned Poehling was when I said he's looking like a good pick.

I said Poehling was rated in the 10-15 range before the draft and I was very clear about that several times actually. And you say I don't read your posts?

Where you claim Poehling was rated is irrelevant, it's only relevant where he was drafted. And even if his pre-draft ranking matter he was still considered a lat 1st.

Rankings
Future Considerations: 21
Central Scouting service: 13 (North American skaters)
McKeen’s: 26
Corey Pronman: 28

2017 NHL Draft prospect profile: Ryan Poehling has the tools to become a solid NHL centre

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

I don't think there was a misrepresentation as he has a lot of the technical skills you look for. He has a good shot, he reads the play well, he isn't afraid of the dirty areas, etc...

But for whatever reason he's never been able to translate that at the NHL level. I think a lot of it is confidence and attitude. But it's also possible that a lack of time/space makes it so he can't use those technical sills effectively.

As for Poehling, time will tell but so far he's looking good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad