Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
What's your picks as the steel of the draft? When you get a talent like this at the 25th pick and he shows potential right away at age 18, it's impressive. McCarron (25th pick in 2013) had 34 pts in 66 games as a 18 year old and didn't play on team USA. Poehling has 15pts in 12 games (13 pts in 35 games last year). Yes it's early, but people are correct when there is talk about a potential steel in the draft at the 25th pick.

Let me give you a comparison... Mittelstadt was drafted 8th overall and he has 15pts in 17 games. Habs likely got a top 10 pick at the 25th spot due to a 17 year old playing against men and his stats dropping. Yes, it's early but there is reason to be excited

Sorry but there is no way you can decide if someone is a steal of the draft when said draft was a few months ago. And people were not saying "potential" steal they were outright saying he is the steal of the draft and will be the next Modano are better.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sorry but there is no way you can decide if someone is a steal of the draft when said draft was a few months ago. And people were not saying "potential" steal they were outright saying he is the steal of the draft and will be the next Modano are better.

Truth is in the middle. I think most are happy with this pick and his development so far. What prospects do in the 12 months after being drafted is a big deal. If the draft was re-done, Poehling might be taken in the top 10 (+/-), knowing what we know now. Advancing 15 picks in the 1st round does classify as a potential steal.

I want to see what he can do in the international stage with team USA U20 team. This is where we see what he can do against the best 18 and 19 year olds in the world.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I questioned the pick on the basis that his offensive upside seemed limited to a 3C and since long , long ago, I have despised the safe pick. But I was wrong . Yay, This guy has offensive skill and certainly has top 6 C potential.

Tolvanen is the guy I wanted because we have been short on brilliant talent. But the fact is you can have a great high scoring winger, but unless you have good top 6C you are screwed. And centers and top D are the hardest players to get in a trade. So if Poehling turns into a 20-25 goal 55-65 point 2 way centre, then I take that over a 30-35 goal 70-80 point winger.

Reactions: dralaf

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I questioned the pick on the basis that his offensive upside seemed limited to a 3C and since long , long ago, I have despised the safe pick. But I was wrong . Yay, This guy has offensive skill and certainly has top 6 C potential.

Tolvanen is the guy I wanted because we have been short on brilliant talent. But the fact is you can have a great high scoring winger, but unless you have good top 6C you are screwed. And centers and top D are the hardest players to get in a trade. So if Poehling turns into a 20-25 goal 55-65 point 2 way centre, then I take that over a 30-35 goal 70-80 point winger.

Evidence was there that Poehling had offensive skill when he played against players his own age. That's why he was pre-rated at the 10-15 range in several draft rankings before the draft. He definitely slipped due to his lack of offense in his first year in the NCAA as a 17 year old. Habs were very lucky to be able to get a center with his potential at the 25th pick

Tolvanen was ranked from the 5-10 range and Preds snagged him at 30. I have no idea what the concern was with him?

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I know absolutely nothing about Poehling other than that he seems to be very good at deflecting pucks into the net. Hopefully he makes team USA so I could watch him play a bit at the U-20s.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I know absolutely nothing about Poehling other than that he seems to be very good at deflecting pucks into the net. Hopefully he makes team USA so I could watch him play a bit at the U-20s.

I've seen most of his games this year and I can't recall any pucks he's tipped. He's a playmaker that does all the little things right, very smart, has the physical tools although could stand to improve his lower body strength. Good skater/speed, the thing that surprised me the most is how quick he is for a bigger guy. He can really move out there. He's all but a lock for Team USA imo.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Truth is in the middle. I think most are happy with this pick and his development so far. What prospects do in the 12 months after being drafted is a big deal. If the draft was re-done, Poehling might be taken in the top 10 (+/-), knowing what we know now. Advancing 15 picks in the 1st round does classify as a potential steal.

I want to see what he can do in the international stage with team USA U20 team. This is where we see what he can do against the best 18 and 19 year olds in the world.
I am also happy with how this season is going for him and that he will likely get to play at the U20. Heck with the whole Russia Olympic issue and the KHL saying they will not release players he might even get Olympic consideration. I am just not ready to say he, or anyone else, is the steal of the draft yet.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I've seen most of his games this year and I can't recall any pucks he's tipped. He's a playmaker that does all the little things right, very smart, has the physical tools although could stand to improve his lower body strength. Good skater/speed, the thing that surprised me the most is how quick he is for a bigger guy. He can really move out there. He's all but a lock for Team USA imo.

Didn't they announce their roster and he is on it? Or do they have more cuts?

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Evidence was there that Poehling had offensive skill when he played against players his own age. That's why he was pre-rated at the 10-15 range in several draft rankings before the draft. He definitely slipped due to his lack of offense in his first year in the NCAA as a 17 year old. Habs were very lucky to be able to get a center with his potential at the 25th pick

Tolvanen was ranked from the 5-10 range and Preds snagged him at 30. I have no idea what the concern was with him?

Personally I don't have a problem occasionally going with big guys where the offence is still a question mark. But it's worth pointing out that the same evidence was used to support the De La Rose pick (Which I actually was a fan of) and his offence hasn't materialized. So still always hit/miss when those question marks are there.

Still Poehling is looking like he was a good pick, the key will be to continue to develop year after year and not plateau at some point.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Personally I don't have a problem occasionally going with big guys where the offence is still a question mark. But it's worth pointing out that the same evidence was used to support the De La Rose pick (Which I actually was a fan of) and his offence hasn't materialized. So still always hit/miss when those question marks are there.

Still Poehling is looking like he was a good pick, the key will be to continue to develop year after year and not plateau at some point.

- DLR progression in the 12 months after being drafed <<< Poehling progression in the 12 months after being drafted

- Poehling was rated in the top 10-15 range heading into the draft. He slipped in the draft (25th) due to his stats not being very good while he played against men as a 17 year old.

- DLR was rated as a late 1st and early 2nd round pick. Habs picked him up 34th overall.

DLR was never considered to be an offensive player. From what I remember, he was a big body that can skate and played responsible hockey. Poehling to me is similar but has way more offensive potential. That's why he was rated in the 10-15 range heading into the draft. The concerns of why he slipped to 25th have been addressed this year (so far).

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Glad to see he developped his offense, this is what the Habs need and Timmins can't let another one of his early rounds pick forward bust.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think the #2C job behind Logan Brown is all but his.

Figured the same. That US team is stacked! We going to have to be careful with Poehling stats on a stacked team but how he plays at both ends of the ice and if he can stand out against the others is what I am looking forward to watching

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Figured the same. That US team is stacked! We going to have to be careful with Poehling stats on a stacked team but how he plays at both ends of the ice and if he can stand out against the others is what I am looking forward to watching
He's probably going to be checking the other teams top lines, so will definitely be interesting when he plays teams like Canada/Sweden/Finland etc, and how he fairs.

The Mittelstadt-Brown-Yamamoto line will be the line that puts up the big offensive numbers for the US though IMO. I know Mittelstadt isn't putting up big numbers, but he's my bet to be the player of the tourney.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's probably going to be checking the other teams top lines, so will definitely be interesting when he plays teams like Canada/Sweden/Finland etc, and how he fairs.

The Mittelstadt-Brown-Yamamoto line will be the line that puts up the big offensive numbers for the US though IMO. I know Mittelstadt isn't putting up big numbers, but he's my bet to be the player of the tourney.

I believe Poehling was playing on a line with Joey Anderson and Brady Tkachuk. 2nd line checking role but they are going to be a force to deal with at both ends of the ice IMO. I won't be surprise to see them mix up their top 6 too.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Yep and I would not be surprised a bit if he plays on the first line instead of Brown.
That would be pretty sweet. The first line form an offensive perspective is going to be whoever plays with Mittelstadt, but Brown definitely has the inside lane there since he and Mittelstadt had such nice chemistry at the Junior Showcase series. But I honestly thought Poehling was the more impressive player between he and Brown, and that's despite Brown being a year older (and a top 15 pick no less)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad