Ryan Parent vs Jack Johnson

Richter_Fan

Sep 27, 2004
Why someone always put a stupid thread like that when a prospect is traded...

Come on, Parent is at best a third or a fourth defenseman, JJ will be a superstar and a number one defenseman...

So don't loose your time anymore with stupid thread like this...

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
What a lame argument. Why don't you let Johnson play a game in the NHL before your spout this nonsense?

what?! mind telling me what is lame about my argument? What was it I said that I said do you disagree with?

When I watch Johnson I see a very talented player with explosive hitting ability, a huge shot and nice offensive instincts. His is a dynamic player in every sense of the word.
His weakness is that he is over agressive and can leave his defense partner out to dry.

Nothing in my above analysis is ground breaking, all is evident when you watch Johnson play.

Now what is the next evolution that Johnson has to make? Obviously it's to learn when to be agressive, when to play back and how to manage both sides of the ice.

If he does that then I think he will look alot like Phaneuf, who like Jack is an agressive, defender that hits very hard, has a very big slapshot and nice offesnive instincts. The differance is that Phaneuf is a far more refined defender at this point with a better hockey sense.

So what have I said that is lame or wrong?

Hell, by comparing him to Phaneuf I think I'm paying Jack a huge compliment, as I see Phaneuf as the best young defender in the game today.

I think Johnson has huge potential, but he has a big hole in his game that he's going to have to sew up if he's going to take the next step. I am not prepaired to just assume that he will make that step. What is so rediculous about that?

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Jack Johnson is sooooo overrated on this board. What has Jack Johnson done that Ryan Parent hasn´t?

For those of you who said that Johnson is better in every aspect of the game, you have know idea what you´re talking about. Ryan Parent is five times the skater that Johnson will ever be.

Parent knows how to win hockey games. Johnson knows how to score goals. Johnson will be lucky to be as good as Bryan McCabe or Brad Stuart at the same age. Parent is as close to a sure thing as there is. He WILL be a rock-solid top four defensive defenseman. And he no matter what team he´s on he will lead, and win more than Johnson -- just like he has in the past.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
To be honest, I would take Parent. I think his defensive upside is unreal, I think he'll end his career being one of the best defensive defensemen of all time, and I would take him over JJ easily for my team because I see JJ as such a big wild card

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
Parent will be a #5-6 dman IMO, if you want to be a top 4 in the new NHL, you need a little offensive upside, Parent has 0. His type are a dime a dozen imo. To say he will be better than Jack Johnson is ridiculous.

Amateur Hour

Jul 23, 2006
Negadelphia
Parent will be a #5-6 dman IMO, if you want to be a top 4 in the new NHL, you need a little offensive upside, Parent has 0. His type are a dime a dozen imo. To say he will be better than Jack Johnson is ridiculous.

What an absolutely absurd statement.

It's not like Parent will score 0 points in an 82 game season... he just won't be an offensive dynamo from the back line. His job will be to shut down the other team's top line. Any offensive production will be an added luxury.

Here are a few defensemen currently in the NHL with little offensive upside who still are legitimate top 4 guys:

Robyn Regehr (Calgary)
Kyle McLaren (San Jose)
Scott Hannan (San Jose)
Henrik Tallinder (Buffalo)
Karlis Skrastins (Colorado)
Chris Phillips (Ottawa)
Colin White (New Jersey)
Brendan Witt (New York Islanders)
Vitaly Vishnevski (Nashville)
Bret Hedican (Carolina)

Those are the ones that popped into my head... I'm sure there are more.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
What an absolutely absurd statement.

It's not like Parent will score 0 points in an 82 game season... he just won't be an offensive dynamo from the back line. His job will be to shut down the other team's top line. Any offensive production will be an added luxury.

Here are a few defensemen currently in the NHL with little offensive upside who still are legitimate top 4 guys:

Robyn Regehr (Calgary)
Kyle McLaren (San Jose)
Scott Hannan (San Jose)
Henrik Tallinder (Buffalo)
Karlis Skrastins (Colorado)
Chris Phillips (Ottawa)
Colin White (New Jersey)
Brendan Witt (New York Islanders)
Vitaly Vishnevski (Nashville)
Bret Hedican (Carolina)

Those are the ones that popped into my head... I'm sure there are more.
all those players have some offensive upside, lets compare junior stats

Regehr - 3rd year/left for the NHL as a teen - 32pts in 54 games
McLaren - 2nd year/left for the NHL as a teen - 32pts in 47 games
Hannan - 4th year - 45pts in 47 games
Phillips - 3rd year/left for the NHL as a teen - 48pts in 58 games
White - 15pts in 63 games in final year - Lamorello groomed him from a goon into a decent dman
Witt - 3rd year/left for the NHL as a teen - 39pts in 58 games
Hedican - 48pts in 41 games in the NCAA

the only one that compares is White, but White was drafted as a project, and New Jersey developed him nicely into an NHLer. Ryan Parent was drafted as a "safe" pick. Please show me a simmilar player who you project Ryan Parent to be with 15pts in there 4th year of junior? I know stats don't tell everything, but from what I have seen through Guelph games and the WJC, he didn't show me much offense, he was a rock defensively for the most part, but looked uncomfortable when handling the puck. I just don't see him amounting into anything more than a 5/6 guy who plays on the PK. Rick Dudley the Blackhawks AGM also said Parent is likely a 5/6 guy at best, FWIW.

FTowwn

Jan 25, 2006
Canada
IMO JJ is one of the most overrated players on this board - this thread proves it to me. I think you could have a JJ vs Phaneuf thread and half here would pick JJ.

I'd still take him over Parent but I don't think the GAP is nearly as big as people think.

agree 100%.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
Jack Johnson is sooooo overrated on this board. What has Jack Johnson done that Ryan Parent hasn´t?

For those of you who said that Johnson is better in every aspect of the game, you have know idea what you´re talking about. Ryan Parent is five times the skater that Johnson will ever be.

Parent knows how to win hockey games. Johnson knows how to score goals. Johnson will be lucky to be as good as Bryan McCabe or Brad Stuart at the same age. Parent is as close to a sure thing as there is. He WILL be a rock-solid top four defensive defenseman. And he no matter what team he´s on he will lead, and win more than Johnson -- just like he has in the past.

Parent has been 5th fiddle everywhere he has been.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

White - 15pts in 63 games in final year - Lamorello groomed him from a goon into a decent dman

Junior stats do not translate into NHL stats...in fact I'm not sure of your point. These are all extremely solid defensive defenceman (I'm going to add Willie Mitchell) that have very little NHL offensive upside.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Johnson tends, from what I've seen, to loose his man/check in the defensive zone less and he doesn't get trapped going for the huge hit.

To be fair, Phaneuf is doing everything on the NHL level and Johnson hasn't played a game yet, but until we can compare them on the NHL level, I like Johnson more.

I have seen, with my own two eyes, a fair amount of examples, as recently as this past WJC tournament, where Jack Johnson ignored his defensive responsibility going for a big hit or pinch and consequently paid for it on the scoreboard.

The first game against Canada is a great example; he did it a couple of times, but one that stands out is when he raced into the o-zone looking to make a crunch, the puck slipped past and came to Downie, who went in on a 2 on 1 and scored. This is fairly typical from what I've seen of the kid..

Roger's Pancreas*

Parent has been 5th fiddle everywhere he has been.
  • Captained Team Canada to a Gold Medal at the World Under-18 Hockey Challenge in 2004.
  • Won a gold medal as captain of Team Ontario at the Under-17 Hockey Challenge.
  • Represented Team OHL at 2004 ADT Canada Russia Challenge.
  • Participated in 2005 CHL Top Prospects Game.
  • Captained Team Canada to a silver medal in April, 2005 at the IIHF U-18 World Hockey Championship.
  • Gold Medallist for Team Canada, 2006 IIHF World Junior Championships.
Whatever you say.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
  • Captained Team Canada to a Gold Medal at the World Under-18 Hockey Challenge in 2004.
  • Captained Team Canada to a silver medal in April, 2005 at the IIHF U-18 World Hockey Championship.
Whatever you say.

Two-time WJC Gold medallist. On the team's top pairing.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Parent is SOOO underrated not even funny. He can be a #1/#2 defenseman in the future. The past two WJC, he has beent he best defensive defenseman on that team better than Staal.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
Whatever you say.

True and true but he was not the main reason why he won. There were 5 others at least that contributed as much or more game wise.

The Perfect Human*

Jack Johnson is better than Phaneuf was at his age. He's more mobile, more offensively gifted, and a smarter player. Phaneuf just had a more solid defensive game
Phaneuf was making the same mistakes as Johnson back then: Getting out of position to make the hit, screwed up pinches, over-comitting on the backcheck, and the occasional bad pass.
In my estimation, Johnson, if he plays next year, will be better than Phaneuf was at age 20.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Jack Johnson is better than Phaneuf was at his age. He's more mobile, more offensively gifted, and a smarter player. Phaneuf just had a more solid defensive game
Phaneuf was making the same mistakes as Johnson back then: Getting out of position to make the hit, screwed up pinches, over-comitting on the backcheck, and the occasional bad pass.
In my estimation, Johnson, if he plays next year, will be better than Phaneuf was at age 20.

Very interesting that the only posters I see rating Johnson above Phaneuf are Oilers fans. Very interesting.

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006

Then I guess if you could trade the two right now you would...........Yeah right
JJ is a great prospect but lets not compare him yet to a guy who proved himself so quickly at the next level.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County

the only one that compares is White, but White was drafted as a project, and New Jersey developed him nicely into an NHLer. Ryan Parent was drafted as a "safe" pick. Please show me a simmilar player who you project Ryan Parent to be with 15pts in there 4th year of junior? I know stats don't tell everything, but from what I have seen through Guelph games and the WJC, he didn't show me much offense, he was a rock defensively for the most part, but looked uncomfortable when handling the puck. I just don't see him amounting into anything more than a 5/6 guy who plays on the PK. Rick Dudley the Blackhawks AGM also said Parent is likely a 5/6 guy at best, FWIW.

FWIW- nothing

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
parent reminds me brett hedican ...

Jack Johnson is imo like a nastier stevens ... he just play dirty all the time and will make you pay if you dont seen him coming !

some could say phaneuf is the same .. but i would disagree, phaneuf can crunch people but he want to play defense before the hit.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County

If he's so great - then why is there any if about him playing next year? If he's better than Phaneuf why would any team wait on playing him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->