Ryan Parent vs Jack Johnson

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
JJ
by
(---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------) this long !

Mr_Jones*

There will be one person to respond that will come up with a reason Parent is better.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Jack Johnson, because he's better in every aspect of hockey. This isn't even close, in anyway.

I'd take JJ because Parent has zero offensive upside, but Parent is assuredly better defensively than Johnson. He has the sort of own end responsibility and defensive diligence that Johnson has yet to develop. While Johnson's getting drawn out of position for a big hit or pinch, Parent maintains his blueline vigil.

He takes less chances, and reaps fewer statistical rewards because of it, but I can count his defensive miscues at the WJCs over the past two years on one hand and still have a few fingers left over. I'd probably need a couple more sets of hands to count out Johnson's.

shortcat1

Jan 25, 2005
Downtown Palau, ON
Ask the Flyers... they couldn't give a poop...

They've got Ryan Parent... Johnson isn't even in their consideration...

So, for them, Parent is the best...

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
IMO JJ is one of the most overrated players on this board - this thread proves it to me. I think you could have a JJ vs Phaneuf thread and half here would pick JJ.

I'd still take him over Parent but I don't think the GAP is nearly as big as people think.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
IMO JJ is one of the most overrated players on this board - this thread proves it to me... I think you could have a JJ vs Phaneuf thread and half here would pick JJ.

I'd still take him over Parent but I don't think the GAP is nearly as big as people think.

I'm Canadian and I would take JJ over Phaneuf, he's shown (though not in the NHL mind you) a better sense of defensive awareness.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
I'm Canadian and I would take JJ over Phaneuf, he's shown (though not in the NHL mind you) a better sense of defensive awareness.

The GAP from where JJ is playing to the NHL is wider than the grand canyon. Plus, JJ's performance at the WJC where the competition increased doesn't make me believe he's all that defensively sound. In his defense he might have just been trying to do too much.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site

are you nuts? JJ, if everything clicks for him, projects as a poorman's Phaneuf, and there's no garuntee that everything will click for him. JJ's weakness is his lack of defensive sense. Phaneuf can be over agressive at times, but he's got a much better idea of when to pinch and go for the big hit than Johnson does, who essentially looks to do those things at every occasion.

Phaneuf is what Johnson can be (and I consider that to be a compliment to Johnson), but he might never get there. Phaneuf is already Phaneuf and still likely to get better.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I wish and hope JJ is anything like Phaneuf was his rookie year. I think its just an Oilers fan with an intense dislike for the Flames and Phaneuf choosing someone over Phaneuf out of spite though. I'd take Phaneuf over JJ.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
IMO JJ is one of the most overrated players on this board - this thread proves it to me. I think you could have a JJ vs Phaneuf thread and half here would pick JJ.

Actually, Jack Johnson is one of the most poorly analyzed players on this board. Too many people with NO idea what they're talking about.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
are you nuts? JJ, if everything clicks for him, projects as a poorman's Phaneuf, and there's no garuntee that everything will click for him. JJ's weakness is his lack of defensive sense. Phaneuf can be over agressive at times, but he's got a much better idea of when to pinch and go for the big hit than Johnson does, who essentially looks to do those things at every occasion.

Phaneuf is what Johnson can be (and I consider that to be a compliment to Johnson), but he might never get there. Phaneuf is already Phaneuf and still likely to get better.

What a lame argument. Why don't you let Johnson play a game in the NHL before your spout this nonsense?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I wish and hope JJ is anything like Phaneuf was his rookie year. I think its just an Oilers fan with an intense dislike for the Flames and Phaneuf choosing someone over Phaneuf out of spite though. I'd take Phaneuf over JJ.

No, it's my view and oppinion of his game, he's great offensively, he's tough, but he's gets himself out of position looking for a big hit and doesn't do a great job in defense awareness.

I'm not saying he's not a good player, I would just take JJ.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
No, it's my view and oppinion of his game, he's great offensively, he's tough, but he's gets himself out of position looking for a big hit and doesn't do a great job in defense awareness.

I'm not saying he's not a good player, I would just take JJ.

That is what Johnson does.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That is what Johnson does.

Johnson tends, from what I've seen, to loose his man/check in the defensive zone less and he doesn't get trapped going for the huge hit.

To be fair, Phaneuf is doing everything on the NHL level and Johnson hasn't played a game yet, but until we can compare them on the NHL level, I like Johnson more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad