Prospect Info: Ryan O'Rourke, Defenseman, 39th overall

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If he pans out this guy and his skillset will be a perfect compliment to the smaller, skilled RHD's we have in Addison Spurgeon, and Menell. Perfect age to be part of the next wave of defensively solid LHD with a bit of size. The fact that he has a heavy shot is a bonus.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The latest from Brock;

14. Ryan O'Rourke - Minnesota Wild
At this point, I think we know what O'Rourke is. He had a good year as the captain of the Hounds, returning from the pro ranks. He's mean. He has a big shot. He's smart. However, I do think that there are some limitations to what he'll be able to do at the NHL level. He's still only an average four-way mover for a defender of his size. He makes up for that with good positioning and a tenacious mindset. But it likely limits what he'll be able to do offensively. O'Rourke likely settles into a #4-6 role with Minnesota in the next few years and should be a long time pro.

Getting Scandella vibes from him. ROR seems to be a smart, brave player whose upside is limited because of a lack of high end athleticism(speed, strength, size, skill). Not the end of the world. IQ is one of the most important assets for a defensive Dman, IMO, as long as you have reasonably good tools, which he does. Also doesn't hurt that he has a bit of a mean streak. We are lacking that in our D, asides from Middleton and Dumba.

Last edited:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The latest from Brock;

14. Ryan O'Rourke - Minnesota Wild
At this point, I think we know what O'Rourke is. He had a good year as the captain of the Hounds, returning from the pro ranks. He's mean. He has a big shot. He's smart. However, I do think that there are some limitations to what he'll be able to do at the NHL level. He's still only an average four-way mover for a defender of his size. He makes up for that with good positioning and a tenacious mindset. But it likely limits what he'll be able to do offensively. O'Rourke likely settles into a #4-6 role with Minnesota in the next few years and should be a long time pro.

Getting Scandella vibes from him. ROR seems to be a smart, brave player whose upside is limited because of a lack of high end athleticism(speed, strength, size, skill). Not the end of the world. IQ is one of the most important assets for a defensive Dman, IMO, as long as you have reasonably good tools, which he does. Also doesn't hurt that he has a bit of a mean streak. We are lacking that in our D, asides from Middleton and Dumba.

I would be thrilled if ROR turned into a Marco Scandella-type player.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would be thrilled if ROR turned into a Marco Scandella-type player.
I'd be ok with it. Such fond memories of the Spurgeon/Scandella pairing. Hoping for a bit more, of course, but don't we always with prospects?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think he is bigger and more physical than Marco
Other way around. Scandella is 6'3", and was known as a very physical defender in junior. Was suspended for quite a while for an overly dangerous hit. He and Hamonic were two peas in a pod for while there.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Other way around. Scandella is 6'3", and was known as a very physical defender in junior. Was suspended for quite a while for an overly dangerous hit. He and Hamonic were two peas in a pod for while there.
Scandella got pretty soft in the NHL though

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Scandella got pretty soft in the NHL though
I never saw that. He was nasty in front of the net and in corners. Not an open ice hitter like Dumba, but almost no one is anymore.

Scandella's issue now is that his feet and mind won't allow him to get to spots quickly enough to use his body...maybe he has some injuries that limit him, also. Everyone says that ROR is smart...hopefully he's a bit smarter than Marco, and maybe a tad better skater. Scandella could actually move pretty well, but looked awkward doing it, like Soucy.

I guess the nightmare scenario is that ROR turns out to be Gustav Olofsson. I was pretty high on him for a while.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Haven't had my eyes on him like I have in previous years, but ROR is off to a nice start offensively compared to other years, when he had 7 and 9 points respectively. This year he's already at 4 pts. in 7 gp.

With Hicketts and Mermis gone, he'll be getting more offensive opportunities. I 've always thought he had reasonably good defensive instincts and talent, and just needed strength and experience to be a good defender.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Haven't had my eyes on him like I have in previous years, but ROR is off to a nice start offensively compared to other years, when he had 7 and 9 points respectively. This year he's already at 4 pts. in 7 gp.

With Hicketts and Mermis gone, he'll be getting more offensive opportunities. I 've always thought he had reasonably good defensive instincts and talent, and just needed strength and experience to be a good defender.
I watched the first few games and he was definitely the most steady of all the Iowa defenders. His points have been from making smart plays, getting puck on net with traffic, simple passes, etc. The other ones try to do too much, get out of position, etc.

He's playing a bit more how he did in juniors than trying to be something else...

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I watched the first few games and he was definitely the most steady of all the Iowa defenders. His points have been from making smart plays, getting puck on net with traffic, simple passes, etc. The other ones try to do too much, get out of position, etc.

He's playing a bit more how he did in juniors than trying to be something else...
UNlike many defensive Dman, he's got decent feet, and a nice first pass. What held him back in previous years(and i stole this take off someone else on here)is that his body wasn't strong enough for the style he was playing, at least in the AHL. You want your defensive Dmen to be winning board battles, and having the jump and anticipation to put fires out before they begin. I've always liked the way he covers men in front of the net. Hopefully he is starting to mature physically to allow his game to take off.

Any offense from him would be a bonus, but I would like him to be able to handle the puck decently, and without panic, especially on the breakout.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
UNlike many defensive Dman, he's got decent feet, and a nice first pass. What held him back in previous years(and i stole this take off someone else on here)is that his body wasn't strong enough for the style he was playing, at least in the AHL. You want your defensive Dmen to be winning board battles, and having the jump and anticipation to put fires out before they begin. I've always liked the way he covers men in front of the net. Hopefully he is starting to mature physically to allow his game to take off.

Any offense from him would be a bonus, but I would like him to be able to handle the puck decently, and without panic, especially on the breakout.
If he is a better version of Middleton that would be big for this team.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong

From what I've seen, unfortunately he doesn't have the big wingspan that could really elevate his game or a slapper to add just a touch of offense but with that being said, everything you said seems spot on and makes me believe he could develop into a very solid #5/6 NHL pro. And honestly, you can never have enough of them on a cheap contract, or else you end up unnecessarily spending an extra 1-2mil on the free agent market and pulling in Merrill/Goligoski types. So happy with his progress.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
If he is a better version of Middleton that would be big for this team.
Not nearly as strong or tough, but a better skater. Remains to be seen how he will be able to handle NHL opponents.

Middleton is fine for what he is paid, and an asset to a D group like ours that lacks strength and toughness. Even his reads are ok. Just doesn't have quick feet, so he'll lose out on races to pucks, and will get walked on occasion. I don't expect a player that is paid 1/3 of what Spurgeon and Brodin is to be as talented. I'll take him, as a 4/5D, till something better comes along.

Reactions: Circulartheory

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad