Confirmed with Link: Ryan O'Reilly traded to STL for Tage Thompson, Patrik Berglund, Vladimir Sobotka, 2019 1st, 2021 2nd

Who won the trade?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
I just can't wait until either O'Reilly or berglund has a really hot start, and we have to relive this thread at the start of the season. Or either the blues or sabres lose or win by like 6 opening night

Who knows. Berglund could have a 30 goal season for all we know right now.

It's probably wise to wait at least a season to see how Bergie and Sobotka contribute, and see the trajectory of Thompson, and to see the rank of the pick when the season's said and done.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Does anyone know If there are any other provisions on the 1st fron St Louis? I know its top 10 protected but does that mean if they earn a top 10 pick they have to keep it no matter what? Or say they earn the tenth pick in the morning when 2019 can they opt to give it to us?
And my next question is for our resident draft gurus...I know we just had the 2018 draft but how does 2020 compare to 2019? Do we want 2 firsts in the late teens early 20s or do we want the 2 firsts in the 2020.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010

It's probably wise to wait at least a season to see how Bergie and Sobotka contribute, and see the trajectory of Thompson, and to see the rank of the pick when the season's said and done.
I'm optimistic about both the conditional picks. St. Louis finishes out of the playoffs at 11th over all and San Jose just squeaks in but is ousted and ends up at 16th over all :)

Reactions: CacOBG

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Doubt He’s going to crack 30 goals. closest he came was 23, but 20 goals is a respectful number.

Reactions: jc17

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
I'm optimistic about both the conditional picks. St. Louis finishes out of the playoffs at 11th over all and San Jose just squeaks in but is ousted and ends up at 16th over all :)

Yeah, that wouldn't be too bad at all. Ideal would be able to package the two lower picks for another top 10, there is always some team that missed out on the player that they were gunning, and willing to move down for more assets.

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
Doubt He’s going to crack 30 goals. closest he came was 23, but 20 goals is a respectful number.

Sure, I would be surprised if he potted 30, but wouldn't be astounded, as he's routinely flirted with 25 G seasons when he's healthy for a whole season (not just GP, but there were times during last few seasons he had played with a dislocated shoulder not having gone the whole surgery route). 25G + 15A would be a pretty respectable LW if he had some gifted C on the 2nd line, like Mitts, and that should be within reach without any surprises.

Edit:

Also he did have that 17G season during the lockout year with 48 GP, that would just about equal 30 G with a full 82 game schedule. Not saying that he will repeat that, but the ability is there.

Last edited:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Sure, I would be surprised if he potted 30, but wouldn't be astounded, as he's routinely flirted with 25 G seasons when he's healthy for a whole season (not just GP, but there were times during last few seasons he had played with a dislocated shoulder not having gone the whole surgery route). 25G + 15A would be a pretty respectable LW if he had some gifted C on the 2nd line, like Mitts, and that should be within reach without any surprises.

Edit:

Also he did have that 17G season during the lockout year with 48 GP, that would just about equal 30 G with a full 82 game schedule. Not saying that he will repeat that, but the ability is there.

It depends on multiple things; how Housley will use him, his linemates, and whether he’s going to stay healthy. There is one for certain, he’s going to need to rely on himself to create offense. At this moment, we don’t have many guys that can create offense.

Reactions: jc17

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I honestly think we use Berglund as 3C, thus absolutely minimizing the 30G mark chance. But if he is solid defensively and runs the line well, Is be more than happy with 15+15 season out of him. Hopefully at the same time Eichel and Casey's lines run wild.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Berglund is a ok depht player. Always exiting to se those kind of players changing enviorment.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
I would've loved to have had Berglund and Sobotka 3-4 years ago. Now, not so much. The term on Berglund's contract is rough. Sure seems like they took a hit on value to avoid paying that bonus money. Maybe Terry didn't want to drill another oil well?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not the greatest trade for the Sabres. Got a few lesser parts. I think Thompson has a chance to be OK, and draft choices are nice, I guess, but kind of stunned that BUF took on the salaries of two pretty mediocre players. I dunno, maybe they will provide some quality depth in the bottom six, but weren't you guys expecting some quality coming back, rather than a grab bag of blah? You were talking about Spurgeon/Brodin ++, or possibly 3oa.

Return is a come down.

It really rests on whether Thompson ends up being something. He's huge, and has some skills, but the jury is out on whether he can put it all together.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I expect Berglund to be 3C and Sobotka to be 4LW, also not played together on a line except for occasional PK shifts, and producing a combined 30g, or maybe slightly more, in total for the two of them.

Reactions: Eichel9

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I expect Berglund to be 3C and Sobotka to be 4LW, also not played together on a line except for occasional PK shifts, and producing a combined 30g, or maybe slightly more, in total for the two of them.

I wish I could predict something... too many unknowns.

Predicting 30 goals combined from a 3c and 4w is quite optimistic. That might be more than our entire bottom 6 produced last year. lol

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

Predicting 30 goals combined from a 3c and 4w is quite optimistic. That might be more than our entire bottom 6 produced last year. lol
It is indeed more than the bottom 6 last year (I counted 21, but you could say there could have been more because guys moved up and down). In a prior post for 2018-19 predictions, I had Berglund at 12 and Sobotka at 5, total 17. It's Friday, my mood is better. ;)

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Not the greatest trade for the Sabres. Got a few lesser parts. I think Thompson has a chance to be OK, and draft choices are nice, I guess, but kind of stunned that BUF took on the salaries of two pretty mediocre players. I dunno, maybe they will provide some quality depth in the bottom six, but weren't you guys expecting some quality coming back, rather than a grab bag of blah? You were talking about Spurgeon/Brodin ++, or possibly 3oa.

Return is a come down.

It really rests on whether Thompson ends up being something. He's huge, and has some skills, but the jury is out on whether he can put it all together.

YES!

I expected one of Dunn, Kyrou or Thomas as a part of the return. We gave Colorado the equivalent of Dunn in Zadorov and Zadorov has a higher ceiling than Dunn and JT Compher who is equivalent to Thompson as a prospect. I'd be much happier with Dunn and Thompson and a 2nd for ROR than the grab bag of blah we received.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

30 is definitely an overestimation, but our bottom 3/6 were awful last year. I'm really hoping we do get a significant bump from that group

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
This trade will be debated until ROR retires or Thompson breaks out/busts. I am curious as to how the picks will play out, but that seems so far away when what we need are quality roster players now.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
From an outsider perspective, I didn't think it was bad. Botterhill has security I believe which is very good and important for this trade because immediate gratification wasn't needed. Sobotka and Berglund will be important in changing the culture in Buffalo, they come from a place with regular season success; change the culture in the room and demand that be the minimum. Tage IMO is a very good prospect. Talent is always needed. Armed with 3 first rounders in the upcoming draft you can change the franchise that draft with smart drafting. Everyone wants to win tomorrow which is good but Dahlin is going to need a year and Middletat to adjust. Reinhart hasn't found his ceiling. I like the Sabres outlook right now. Everyone is signed or lined up to be a RFA. Next offseason is more important.

Grow the team this year, add talent in next years draft and sign some good free agents after or make a proper trade to push the needle. If you were to have this crop of free agents next year, adding a James Neal with Moulson money and de Haan would have gone a long way.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Possible answers:
1. Eichel forbade them to do so.
2. They're thumbs are too swollen to text because they've been sucking them to console themselves.

Honestly, I don't know, as I don't follow twitter. At all, not just Sabres.

I thought you were going to say that their thumbs were too sore from playing Fortnite.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
I didn't see the need to trade O'Reilly unless there were some behind the scenes issues that we are not privy to. There may be something to the argument that the Cup window for the team became a couple more years in the future even with him on the roster so by then he may be less productive and not as valuable to that roster given his salary. For me the biggest hole this trade created was the loss of face-off wins. Less wins in the defensive zone leads to scoring chances and goals for the opposing team. The even strength production of the new players should be helpful. The long-term success or failure of this trade will hinge on what Thompson and the picks become. Time will tell if a team "won" the trade.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I didn't see the need to trade O'Reilly unless there were some behind the scenes issues that we are not privy to. There may be something to the argument that the Cup window for the team became a couple more years in the future even with him on the roster so by then he may be less productive and not as valuable to that roster given his salary. For me the biggest hole this trade created was the loss of face-off wins. Less wins in the defensive zone leads to scoring chances and goals for the opposing team. The even strength production of the new players should be helpful. The long-term success or failure of this trade will hinge on what Thompson and the picks become. Time will tell if a team "won" the trade.
If Botts has done his job we will have drastically reduced the number of defensive zone face-offs. We seemed to get penned too often without anyone to move the puck out. I am hoping we traded away a solution to a problem we will no longer have-at least to the same extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->