Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I disagree. If Sherman gets canned, PL's son will get the GM job.

Unless Sakic is being groomed to replace Lacroix himself, I think Sakic will be the next GM. We'll see...wouldn't be surprised if it was Eric taking over, which wouldn't change a damned thing.

The sad thing is that it looks like Sherman is a guy who was hired just so he could be fired. I still don't like the job he did on the defense this offseason, but I'd feel bad for him if he were fired tomorrow.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
It would also be terrible asset management to give in to these ridiculous demands from O'Reilly, or to trade him for less than he's really worth.

O'Reilly has backed the Avs into a corner with this negotiation. The only options they have are losers for them -- overpay him, trade him for less than he's worth, look weak + overpay other RFAs for a long time, or let him rot. Those are all bad options. Letting him rot is by far the least objectionable -- they look tough in negotiations, they're not overpaying anyone, and they're not getting taken advantage of by another team.

O'Reilly deserves to rot for his stupidity and selfishness in all this. He can't see anything but his own perspective, and it's killing negotiations.

Perfect.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I disagree. If Sherman gets canned, PL's son will get the GM job.

Wouldn't it be nice if PL "retired" and Sakic just took PL's job. I'm not as down on Sherman as the rest, and think he's working off PL directions. And I think the current situation with ROR is going as well as can be once the bridges were burned. Sherm has found the proverbial rock and hard spot.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
From the latest LeBrun article:

The only thing I gather is that it will take a massive over payment to get ROR. Otherwise the Avs will just wait for ROR to break.

Which is exactly, precisely the correct thing for the Avs to do.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Wouldn't it be nice if PL "retired" and Sakic just took PL's job. I'm not as down on Sherman as the rest, and think he's working off PL directions. And I think the current situation with ROR is going as well as can be once the bridges were burned. Sherm has found the proverbial rock and hard spot.

I would like to see what Sherman would do under Sakic, who couldn't possibly be a more stifling presence than Lacroix. At least with Sakic, you'd be confident that he'd take a more laid-back approach to the job.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I wonder what it would be like for Ryan O'Reilly if they sent Joe Sakic to him, and Sakic called up Forsberg and Foote to go with him to talk to Ryan. Just to say, "listen kid, we had a great core and kept it together for 8 years; yes there was no cap but that kind of core doesn't come along often. Here, with Duchene and Landeskog, Johnson on D, Varly in net, you guys can build something great but you have to be willing to sacrifice for the team". I wonder what Ryan would say lol, or how he would feel

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I wonder what it would be like for Ryan O'Reilly if they sent Joe Sakic to him, and Sakic called up Forsberg and Foote to go with him to talk to Ryan. Just to say, "listen kid, we had a great core and kept it together for 8 years; yes there was no cap but that kind of core doesn't come along often. Here, with Duchene and Landeskog, Johnson on D, Varly in net, you guys can build something great but you have to be willing to sacrifice for the team". I wonder what Ryan would say lol, or how he would feel

Send Simon or Parker along in case they need to send a message.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

ROR would then sign an offer sheet with the New York Rangers so heavily front loaded the AVs would have to change ownership in order to or as a result of having to match.

Sakic was an incredible player during his heyday but he is the very last person you should send to have a talk with anyone about sacrificing personal financial interests for the benefit of the team. That man expected to and was paid at every step of the way. Not only did he sign an offer sheet that was designed to bankrupt the AVs ownership his bonus (coupled with Blakes) screwed the AVs during the first salary cap era.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland

Wouldn't that be an external management control system?

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
ROR would then sign an offer sheet with the New York Rangers so heavily front loaded the AVs would have to change ownership in order to or as a result of having to match.

Sakic was an incredible player during his heyday but he is the very last person you should send to have a talk about sacrificing your own financial interests with anyone.

Probably don't want to send him to discuss snowblower safety either.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
~10 more posts to go...

Woops sorry, didn't mean to jump the gun..I thought it was more 40 pages rather than 1000 posts.

What happens after 1000 posts? Does anyone know? Is it like going past the opening credits of GLEE??

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
That was a pretty pathetic season and team. I actually believe he intentionally stuck his hand in so he wouldn't have to come back. :help:

Can you seriously imagine?? I think it would take me twelve hours to gather up the guts to do it and at the end I'd just say screw it, I'm going back to play with Tyler Arnason, as horrible as that might be.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Can you seriously imagine?? I think it would take me twelve hours to gather up the guts to do it and at the end I'd just say screw it, I'm going back to play with Tyler Arnason, as horrible as that might be.

That's why God created Vodka my friend....just for such an occasion. You know it had to be involved one way or another. I mean...seriously...what kind of sober person puts his hand in the operating end of a snowblower? :dunno:

Last edited by a moderator:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Woops sorry, didn't mean to jump the gun..I thought it was more 40 pages rather than 1000 posts.

What happens after 1000 posts? Does anyone know? Is it like going past the opening credits of GLEE??

tumblr_mf6q6jp7CD1rhiowbo1_500.gif

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
And the Global Mod spake, saying, 'First shalt thou open a thread.
Then, shalt thou post to 1000, no more, no less.
1000 shalt be the number thou shalt post, and the number of the posting shalt be 1000.
1001 shalt thou not post, nor either post thou 999, excepting that thou then proceed to 1000.
1002 is right out.
Once the number 1000, being the thousandth post, be reached, then closeth thou thy thread."

Last edited:

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
You made up this part. Nobody thinks $3.5M is an overpayment for him.

You can come up with all the reasons you want to like he's exceeded expectations at every level, or whatever you wants to say. Nothing justifies holding out as a 21 year old with a combined 52 points your first two seasons, and insisting they pay you like a 25 year old that has had numerous 55 point seasons.

Insisting they pay you on faith at that age is ridiculous, whether he becomes what he says or not. You're coming off your ELC as a 2nd round two way forward. You're not a friggin rock star, just sign a fair $3.5M per contract and prove your worth like everyone else.

i've said it constantly that 3.5 mil is too much for him. he should be making 2.75-3.25 realistically. but that's not going to happen as you're paying slightly for potential so 3.5 is about right due to what he should be at the end of the deal.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
And the Global Mod spake, saying, 'First shalt thou open a thread.
Then, shalt thou post to 1000, no more, no less.
1000 shalt be the number thou shalt post, and the number of the posting shalt be 1000.
1001 shalt thou not post, nor either post thou 999, excepting that thou then proceed to 1000.
1002 is right out.
Once the number 1000, being the thousandth number, be reached, then closeth thou thy thread."

Marty-McFly.gif

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
That's why God created Vodka my friend....just for such an occasion. You know it had to be involved one way or another. I mean...seriously...what kind of sober person puts his dickskinner in the operating end of a snowblower? :dunno:

Actually, I OWN a slowblower (it's really a matter of survival where I'm at) and I didn't know that the augers can still turn even when the stupid thing is TURNED OFF. I always thought that the motor is what makes it turn and it wouldn't otherwise. So when I read about what happened to Sakic, and how his snowblower was off when it happened, I was like 'wow, Joe Sakic just may have ended up saving my arms!' is there anything he can't do?!

The actual moral of the Joe Sakic snowblower story is that if you earn $6M per year, HIRE SOMEONE TO GET RID OF THE SNOW!

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
It is truly amazing the lack of knowledge on the Trade forum, in regards to Ryan O'Reilly....

I've got to force myself to stay away, or I'm gonna get a "talkin' to". :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->