Ryan O'Reilly hatty and 19th point on the year

sfoote

Jan 6, 2013
Maybe he just doesn't tolerate incompetence, complacency and a losing culture?
Well, they aren't dead last in the West, just next to last so I understand what you mean about him not tolerating incompetence. :laugh:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
That's like saying McDavid doesn't deserve credit because Edmonton fails. Fairly petty post/argument
It's the only arguement the doubters of O Reilly have to hang their heads on.

They ignore the fact that last year Buffalo may have had the worst bottom-6 in the NHL, an equally bad defense, and mediocre goaltending.

I haven't watched many Blues games, but it sounds like the defense and goaltending are the issues for them. O'Reilly's been great. No other way to spin it.

This trade was and still is terrible from Buffalo's perspective. We plucked from a position that is vitally important in this sport, and got back nothing that is even close to impactful. I feel animosity towards Blues fans who enjoy shoving it down Buffalo's fans throats, but I get it- it's probably pretty annoying to read a few Buffalo fans try to justify the trade by team play.

My advice (not that it matters)? Enjoy the years you have with RoR, and ignore the ill-informed. Your boys have a keeper on your hands.

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
:sarcasm:

Attachments

• DrnN_QrWwAAS8oe.jpg-large.jpeg
    DrnN_QrWwAAS8oe.jpg-large.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: nonzerochance

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
He should have more than the 20 points he already has too. Feels like he creates a scoring chance every shift he's out there. He's been on another planet with his play.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Well, they aren't dead last in the West, just next to last so I understand what you mean about him not tolerating incompetence. :laugh:
The Blues have looked terrible at times, but seem to be turning it around. They have earned one more point than the number of games they've played....the same as the 2nd wildcard team. You can wind a narrative how you like, but they are legitimately in the playoff hunt.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Not surprised his production went up on a new team.

Yeah, I mean he did join a higher scoring team. They have one more goal this year then the sabres who don’t have ROR. And two less wins. He’s doing great but clearly he had to leave that tire fire. Clearly they won that trade (for now) but it was good for both sides I think. When something doesent work chemistry wise you don’t keep trying it, you make changes. Ps my for now is based on the draft picks. I’m not expecting berglund or sobotka to equal the value though Thompson and the picks could one day shine. Berglund is decent at times, sobotka not so much lol.

ROR seems to love it there which is good I always liked the blues they share that never won the cup feel

What a ridiculously bad trade and I said it at the time. Botterill is a moron.

He’s a moron because of one bad move?

A trade that was meant to move salary, add some depth and add a couple of high picks for the future. Something needed to change and the sabres are night and day from last year. Not suggesting ror leaving is a great thing but even in buffalos losses they have looked good in over half of them. Some were blowouts but even in those games the goals were scored late in the third and what not. The effort is there and opened the doors for skinner to arrive.

Last edited:

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Agreed. Although his slow start last season was a huge reason the Sabres found themselves in such a deep hole that they were never able to climb out of. I wonder how he'd be doing this season if he was still on the Sabres. It's not a sure thing that he'd be doing as well.

No, I think terrible goaltending, and several players (since it is a team sport) were a huge reason the Sabres got off to a slow start and found themselves in a deep hole. Including ROR. Pointing out that any one player in a team sport is hugely responsible for team loses is short sighted and massively bias. :dunno:

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
It's the only arguement the doubters of O Reilly have to hang their heads on.

They ignore the fact that last year Buffalo may have had the worst bottom-6 in the NHL, an equally bad defense, and mediocre goaltending.

I haven't watched many Blues games, but it sounds like the defense and goaltending are the issues for them. O'Reilly's been great. No other way to spin it.

This trade was and still is terrible from Buffalo's perspective. We plucked from a position that is vitally important in this sport, and got back nothing that is even close to impactful. I feel animosity towards Blues fans who enjoy shoving it down Buffalo's fans throats, but I get it- it's probably pretty annoying to read a few Buffalo fans try to justify the trade by team play.

My advice (not that it matters)? Enjoy the years you have with RoR, and ignore the ill-informed. Your boys have a keeper on your hands.
I think you have a good perspective on this trade. I think some of the animosity started when buff fans were constantly saying that it was parayko, Thomas or kyrou who would be involved in the trade. As for me I tried not to stir up to much. I think ror has been playing amazingly more so then I thought he would.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yeah, I mean he did join a higher scoring team. They have one more goal this year then the sabres who don’t have ROR. And two less wins. He’s doing great but clearly he had to leave that tire fire. Clearly they won that trade (for now) but it was good for both sides I think. When something doesent work chemistry wise you don’t keep trying it, you make changes. Ps my for now is based on the draft picks. I’m not expecting berglund or sobotka to equal the value though Thompson and the picks could one day shine. Berglund is decent at times, sobotka not so much lol.

ROR seems to love it there which is good I always liked the blues they share that never won the cup feel

He’s a moron because of one bad move?

A trade that was meant to move salary, add some depth and add a couple of high picks for the future. Something needed to change and the sabres are night and day from last year. Not suggesting ror leaving is a great thing but even in buffalos losses they have looked good in over half of them. Some were blowouts but even in those games the goals were scored late in the third and what not. The effort is there and opened the doors for skinner to arrive.
You do know the Blues have played 2 less games, right?

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Duchene is a locker room issue and ROR was after all the money ever. Duchene had issues with every coach he had in Colorado and pouted when he didn't get his way. I like the dude as a player but the Avs are drastically improved without him.

ROR would be absolutely perfect back in Denver though. His work ethic is infectious and he's a leader. I take ROR back all day every day over Duchene. There's still a strong vocal Avs group that hates ROR, but he is the perfect 2 c for the Avs.

There is a strong Avalanche contingent that realized what kind of player he was and would become when he was with the Avalanche and would welcome him back with open arms. I'm not sure what happened between the Avs and ROR to piss him off so much about the organization but it probably has to do with Pierre Lacroix and his negotiation tactics. It's too bad we couldn't have traded the pennies on the dollar to get him back but I can't really think he would have wanted to come back.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

Nobody seems to. Crazy to think but it seems like 80% of posts about who scored this who scored that who is low in the standings are not justified by games in hand whatsoever. When they are the post is typically heavily overlooked and the original narrative is pushed back on.

Reactions: Dbrownss

frivolousz21

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS ST LOUIS BLUES
May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
The blues are freaking stacked.

That doesn't mean they will put it all together.

At the end of the day blues fans know Armstrong can miss on acquisitions.

But trading for a star #1 center who us locked up for 5 years with a team friendly cap hit.

And we lost no NHL value.

And added Perron and Bozak? To replace Bergs and Vlad.

I will say a time like 5 years ago Vlad was a physical energy guy with some creative ability cause he was fast.

And Berglund always had a knack for scoring important goals.

Bergs has a wicked shot but sadly has a horribly slow long release.

Berglund also is also good on faceoffs and the defensive end.

He is a very solid possession player.

I hope he can solidify Buffalo's bottom middle six

I really liked him.

But the blues traded for their best center since Pierre Turgeon and likely Bernie Federko.

Turgeon was as freaking beast.

But the blues only had 2 seasons with solid depth during Turgeons time here.

We'll see what happens with this 27 yr old star.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN

Yeah, I do. Doesent change the facts though, I just forgot to add that or change the fact considering even if you win both games you’d now have one less win as we won today. And even if we didn’t win today you’d be tied and now we have three more goals, of course the blues should be well ahead in goals with those three now in hand but regardless it’s a lot closer then the narrative
From the other guy who was acting like he left a team with awful offense and joined a dnyamo when there close to even with blues a few goals back with a few games in hand was my point.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yeah, I do. Doesent change the facts though, I just forgot to add that or change the fact considering even if you win both games you’d now have one less win as we won today. And even if we didn’t win today you’d be tied and now we have three more goals, of course the blues should be well ahead in goals with those three now in hand but regardless it’s a lot closer then the narrative
From the other guy who was acting like he left a team with awful offense and joined a dnyamo when there close to even with blues a few goals back with a few games in hand was my point.
Holy shit.......what's going on in that brain of yours?

Blues are the 3rd most potent offensive team, Buffalo is 16th. I think it's safe to say....its not close.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Holy ****.......what's going on in that brain of yours?

Blues are the 3rd most potent offensive team, Buffalo is 16th. I think it's safe to say....its not close.

What’s going on in my brain? I know the blues are better but Dude there’s a lot of teams around the same numbers so that 13 spot drop isn’t THAT significant, can you calm down? They’ve (the blues) have played three less games, have three less wins and have scored one more goal. I’m not denying they have more offense then buffalo they clearly do. It’s just that one poster was making it sound like he got Off the 1996 Tampa bay lightning and joined the 02 red wings.

It’s helped him being a number one center where he didn’t get the chance here. He deserves it. I think tatasenko coming along will help and I picked him for a comeback player this year he didn’t do bad last year just not usuall his levels. (Senior)

Just wait till schenn and Schwartz get going they had something special last year between injuries and whatever I don’t know else it was lost.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
What’s going on in my brain? Dude there’s a lot of teams around the same numbers so that 13 spot drop isn’t THAT significant, can you calm down? They’ve (the blues) have played three less games, have three less wins and have scored one more goal. I’m not denying they have more offense then buffalo they clearly do. It’s just that one poster was making it sound like he got Off the 1996 Tampa bay lightning and joined the 02 red wings.

It’s helped him being a number one center where he didn’t get the chance here. He deserves it. I think tatasenko coming on helps and I picked him for a comeback player this year he didn’t do bad last year just not usually his levels.
It's a half a goal per game difference, that's significant. Orielly is playing the same amount of minutes..its not like he's playin more here. He's produced the same regardless of his wingers. He's played with a collection of Maroon, Sanford, Perron, Tarasenko and now Schwartz. The one constant is Orielly, he makes these guys better

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
It's a half a goal per game difference, that's significant. Orielly is playing the same amount of minutes..its not like he's playin more here. He's produced the same regardless of his wingers. He's played with a collection of Maroon, Sanford, Perron, Tarasenko and now Schwartz. The one constant is Orielly, he makes these guys better

Yeah I know I also added to my post before you quoted it talking about schenn and such above. I love the young guns you guys have the kyrous and thomas’s I think you guys drafted bokk too.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yeah I know I also added to my post before you quoted it talking about schenn and such above. I love the young guns you guys have the kyrous and thomas’s I think you guys drafted bokk too.
I think they'll break those two up, Schwartz is going with Orielly and those 2 bring the best out of Tarasenko. He is such a Bull when he's engaged. If I had to guess Schenn will center Fabbri and Thomas or shift to Thomas's wing.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad