Ryan O'Reilly hatty and 19th point on the year

frivolousz21

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS ST LOUIS BLUES
May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
Really? Heck I didn't even know that! I'm so giddy with excitement now!

ROR is outstanding at every aspect of the game and we get him for his entire prime!

He is probably the best center we've had since....Pierre Turgeon??? I've gotta be missing someone. He's better than Backes and Stastny by a lot. Better than Doug Weight too.

Agree with the turgeon comparison.

frivolousz21

May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
:huh:

I mean Schenn did show to be a more offensively gifted player, Orielly has had something to say about that.

Thomas...? I could see some argue potential but certainly not right out of the gate. Kid looks good but O'Reilly has been better then advertised.

Screen can't create like ROR.

Thomas has showed nothing to warrant any comparison

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I remember Blues fans in the two weeks before the trade implying Robert Thomas and Brayden Schenn were better hockey players. Are you guys still out there?

I remember people saying Schenn was better offensively....probably because he had reached a level that O'Reilly to that point hadn't. So far that would not seem to hold up.

Highly doubt anyone said Robert Thomas was right now a better player.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Screen can't create like ROR.

Thomas has showed nothing to warrant any comparison
Sure he can, and Thomas is 19, and he's played 9games so no shot....its about projections.

Iirc most of that was probably push back to Buffalo fans thinking they were looking at getting a Thomas, Kyrou, multiple 1sts or Parayko....which was met with Blues fans saying....no thanks

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Sure he can, and Thomas is 19, and he's played 9games so no shot....its about projections.

Iirc most of that was probably push back to Buffalo fans thinking they were looking at getting a Thomas, Kyrou, multiple 1sts or Parayko....which was met with Blues fans saying....no thanks
You guys were like "Give us ROR for virtually nothing" and because our GM is an idiot that's exactly what we did.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
I remember people saying Schenn was better offensively....probably because he had reached a level that O'Reilly to that point hadn't. So far that would not seem to hold up.

Highly doubt anyone said Robert Thomas was right now a better player.

Pretty much every Blues fan was adamant they would not give up Thomas for O’Reilly, so “better right now” would be wrong, but more valuable for sure.

Reactions: nonzerochance

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Pretty much every Blues fan was adamant they would not give up Thomas for O’Reilly, so “better right now” would be wrong, but more valuable for sure.
That is 100% true and would still hold true.

We really...really like Thomas. He hasnt hit the ground running, but with each better opportunity he's given, he takes a step.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007

The Blues have had terrible center depth forever up until this season. This is one of those contextual factors where we simply weren't parting with our only legit top 6 center prospect period.

It had nothing to do with overrating Thomas or thinking he was this can't miss, for sure better than O'Reilly at some point, future No1. Our flat out rejection of any deal with Thomas in it was purely because we desperately needed quality centers and Thomas is part of fixing that.

The other aspect to consider is that we know how Armstrong operates as a trading G.M. and that he wouldn't part with Thomas anyway. As a buyer he is very strong, seriously one of the worst G.M.'s to do a trade with as evidenced by the pile of crap Botteril got for ROR.

frivolousz21

May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
Ror is a level up from Scheen. Regardless of Scheens production last season.

And blues fans could only be so lucky to have Thomas cone anywhere near ROR in this league.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I clearly said better example. Not better player. I swear someone can say Eichel had a bad hair day and you would get ur panties all knotted up over it. ROR is pure heart and soul, Eichel is like Kessel, all talent but lacks the drive and work ethic that Crosby, McDavid, Matthews etc. have. If me comparing him to Kessel hurts you then ill use Malkin except Malkin is obviously much more talented.

Yeah that’s drfinitely not true at all. He’s Been our hardest working player in at least 11 games since taking the C. Cool you pay attention though! The only reason “consistency” is an issue is because his goal total is low which is bugging sabres fans for some reason despite being our leading scorer and his work ethic, defensive play has gone up by about twice as much. Crosby and Matthews? What a joke. Matthews goes in stretches where he doesn’t even get points like before he got hurt and in the playoffs last year. Crosby didn’t show up for the first 7 or 8 games this year and like I said JE has been a stat almost every night and has taken the c seriously. I don’t care if someone talks about his hair, it clearly bothers people who don’t like him which is kind of weird but whatever. The funny thing is Eichel s best games this year have been ones where he either got no, or 0 points. SAN Jose game, Colorado game, not the 9-2 win but the 4-2 Ottawa loss. You’ll see the work ethic is amazing but judging your “sabres are a joke” post you don’t want to see what’s right in front of you. Not my problem. I’m not going to resort as low as you to the insults you’ve thrown out though. Have a nice day.

True. But that doesn't mean we can't bemoan the O'Reilly trade, aka the one bad move Botts made this summer.

That’s fair too. I’ve come around on this I always supported the trade (more for what may get out of the room someone who doesn’t want to be there, And clearing cap space with the potential picks) and but it’s clear when you judge so far the value only swings one way. I’m fine with people hating the trade. I also know yhr sabres even if losing have Ben great in at least ten games this year. That’s arguably more then all of last year already.....so...

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Ror is a level up from Scheen. Regardless of Scheens production last season.

And blues fans could only be so lucky to have Thomas cone anywhere near ROR in this league.
What we are seeing now? I wouldnt disagree. Also...he's a guy you have to watch every shift just to see how he has 2 speeds. Full speed and sitting on the bench.

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
The Sabres burnt too much karma just to get Jack. They ruined three legends names, Ruff, Nolan, and LaFontaine just to lose. The team sold out their soul, and the really cruel part is that they wanted McDavid, not Eichel.

Buffalo is great, but the Sabres are a lost cause. O'Reilly isn't blind or deaf. How long till we start rooting for losses this year, Sabres Fans? Congratulations on the lottery win. What a fine moment in franchise history. Something to really be proud of!

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
The Sabres burnt too much karma just to get Jack. They ruined three legends names, Ruff, Nolan, and LaFontaine just to lose. The team sold out their soul, and the really cruel part is that they wanted McDavid, not Eichel.

Buffalo is great, but the Sabres are a lost cause. O'Reilly isn't blind or deaf. How long till we start rooting for losses this year, Sabres Fans? Congratulations on the lottery win. What a fine moment in franchise history. Something to really be proud of!

Its called progress.

Which they have made this year, in waves.

Can’t become a champion overnight. Yeah it’s been a long time but this regime hasn’t been together that long. Maybe housley will adapt, maybe he will get fired? Who knows? Cheering for losses? Absolutely not. We have three first rounders and some of the most promising prospects coming up already (Olofsson Pilut Samuelson pekar ukka pekka not counting out Nylander or Thompson yet) in addition to the Mittlestadtsand dahlins of the world. The foundation is set it’s just got to come together. There have been many losses this year (like the last three Buffalo for instance) where Buffalo has looked miles better then the wins from last year. Outplayed the opposition 2 to 1. No one gets there over night. We may still be not at respectable level but it’s going to get there. Truth is, we aren’t even a bottom 5 or probably ten franchise for “right now and the future”....

Last edited:
Reactions: Hasek

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
There isn't a single Sabres poster who is actually respected on the Sabres board who is or was okay with the trade.

The trade has always reeked of a meddling owner who felt slighted by O'Reilly's end of season comments. The fact that UFAs were told on July 1st that if they signed in Buffalo to not expect RoR to be on the roster. The fact that he was traded minutes before Buffalo would be on the hook for his signing bonus. None of that is a logical move for a GM. Botteril had all Summer to find a deal that would work and he traded him on the one day that St. Louis would have to pick up the bonus? That signing bonus is meaningless to an owner like Pegula unless it was personal.
Basically what Moskau said.

If the Sabres had kept ROR and it was a simple as just plugging his great production so far this season back onto the Sabres then yes the trade was a huge mistake. The Sabres would be a top 3 team in the east rather than just sitting in a wildcard spot.

But it's not that simple. Maybe ROR needed to go in order for some of our players to grow into the players they've become this season, or maybe they would have grown anyway and we traded away an amazing player for nothing but to massage Pegula's ego. If the Sabres continue to grow and have sustained success without ROR it will be hard to say it was a mistake in the long run. If they backslide into the bottom 5 it will be hard to say it wasn't a mistake.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
He's somewhere between Patrice Bergeron and Jordan Staal. Most people thought he's closer to Staal, but I always thought he was closer to Bergeron.

Reactions: Blueston

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Iv said it the whole time: something occurred that triggered the ROR trade and we don’t know what it was. But you can, and MANY of you have, speculated on the reason to fit your agenda.

Those saying locker room cancer are no different than those saying meddling owner. Just both guessing. For all we know eichel and him hated each other. The locker room hated his music taste. Who knows!

Great player, trade has worked out well for both teams. St. Louis got a top center while buffalo uses the trade to help build a complete team. Buffalo for once seemed to have a vision with its roster construction this year and tried to build a compete team instead of collecting good players. St. Louis on the other hand was praised for the great players they picked up, but it has not come together yet.

Reactions: Jeremy2020

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Basically what Moskau said.

If the Sabres had kept ROR and it was a simple as just plugging his great production so far this season back onto the Sabres then yes the trade was a huge mistake. The Sabres would be a top 3 team in the east rather than just sitting in a wildcard spot.

But it's not that simple. Maybe ROR needed to go in order for some of our players to grow into the players they've become this season, or maybe they would have grown anyway and we traded away an amazing player for nothing but to massage Pegula's ego. If the Sabres continue to grow and have sustained success without ROR it will be hard to say it was a mistake in the long run. If they backslide into the bottom 5 it will be hard to say it wasn't a mistake.
No, if you just plug his performance from the past 3 years the trade is still a huge mistake.

Reactions: Bluesnatic27

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Sabres will use his 7.5M to sign Jeff Skinner. Blues are in the bottom 5 of the NHL and Sabres are in contention for the playoffs (way too early still tho). We lost the trade as you typically do when giving up the best player in the deal, but we still dont know what we are getting with the 1st and 2nd round pick or Tage Thompson for that matter. Would I have liked Kyrou or Thomas better? Absolutely but it is what it is at this point.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Sabres will use his 7.5M to sign Jeff Skinner. Blues are in the bottom 5 of the NHL and Sabres are in contention for the playoffs (way too early still tho). We lost the trade as you typically do when giving up the best player in the deal, but we still dont know what we are getting with the 1st and 2nd round pick or Tage Thompson for that matter. Would I have liked Kyrou or Thomas better? Absolutely but it is what it is at this point.

The Blues have played 13 games. Currently at 1 ppg playing their absolute worst hockey in October. If they had played as many games as other teams at their current, disappointing pace they are be 2 points out of a playoff spot. That is if they don't pick it up for a while.

Bottom 5 in the NHL......

Reactions: nonzerochance

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Blues are 4 points out of a playoff spot with 2 games in hand.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
No, if you just plug his performance from the past 3 years the trade is still a huge mistake.
Agreed. Although his slow start last season was a huge reason the Sabres found themselves in such a deep hole that they were never able to climb out of. I wonder how he'd be doing this season if he was still on the Sabres. It's not a sure thing that he'd be doing as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->