Ryan O'Reilly hatty and 19th point on the year

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
For a guy who doesent tolerate a losing culture he’s sure done a whole heck of a lot of losing in the NHL on three different teams and counting. He hasn’t been the reason St. Louis has lost, he’s actually looked like their best player but saying that about ROR is like saying Dan Cloutier doesent tolerate letting in bad goals.

Better then Eichel? You mean the guy ROR couldn’t outscore even if he missed a quarter of the year in each of the past two seasons. The guy who has took accountability and is an excellent Leader right now and since he took the C has gotten Buffalo off to their best start in 7 years. Even in the last three losses buffalo has outworked and out shot the opposition over 2:1 including leading the flames with a shutout going until the final minute. Buffalo has been better then their record indicates.

Don’t even talk trash if you don’t know the player you’re talking about. Eichels fourth in offensive zone possession and sixth in shots. He’s got 17 in 15 and 138 in his last 142. ROR has two more points but won’t finish with more points. Eichels had goals called off and like ten empty net tap ins fanned on as well as three posts from reinhart alone when setting him up. Every star gets their share of misses but the amount of misses Eichels linemates produce is absolutely ridiculous. Also check out Eichels defensive numbers and how they have drastically improved since becoming captain. At a way younger age then ROR. But yeah a guy who comes out and says he doesent love getting paid millions of dollars for playing hockey is a better example. Give it a rest. Plus you have no idea who the draft picks are going to be so don’t assume you know the whole freak especially four weeks into the season after a hot start. People have no patience these days NONE.

I clearly said better example. Not better player. I swear someone can say Eichel had a bad hair day and you would get all knotted up over it. ROR is pure heart and soul, Eichel is like Kessel, all talent but lacks the drive and work ethic that Crosby, McDavid, Matthews etc. have. If me comparing him to Kessel hurts you then ill use Malkin except Malkin is obviously much more talented.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Prospero

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I clearly said better example. Not better player. I swear someone can say Eichel had a bad hair day and you would get ur panties all knotted up over it. ROR is pure heart and soul, Eichel is like Kessel, all talent but lacks the drive and work ethic that Crosby, McDavid, Matthews etc. have. If me comparing him to Kessel hurts you then ill use Malkin except Malkin is obviously much more talented.
You can question his consistency but saying he is far less talented than Malkin is totally ridiculous. Other than McDavid he has as much God given talent as anyone you can think of, the problem has been the consistency and if you've watched our games you would see that has significantly improved this season.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
You can question his consistency but saying he is far less talented than Malkin is totally ridiculous. Other than McDavid he has as much God given talent as anyone you can think of, the problem has been the consistency and if you've watched our games you would see that has significantly improved this season.
How can you say he's been consistent after like 15 games? Thats such a small sample size. Before McDavid came into the league, Malkin was probably the most dominant player when he was on his game. Better than Crosby and Ovechkin when he reached full throttle. He is far better than Eichel will ever be. Thats just a fact. Its not even just consistency. Hes got a half assed attitude, he doesn't compete as hard and doesn't battle like he should unlike Barkov, Matthews etc. He replies on his speed and skating only. When the Sabres reach the playoffs you'll see.

Reactions: nonzerochance

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
How can you say he's been consistent after like 15 games? Thats such a small sample size. Before McDavid came into the league, Malkin was probably the most dominant player when he was on his game. Better than Crosby and Ovechkin when he reached full throttle. He is far better than Eichel will ever be. Thats just a fact. Its not even just consistency. Hes got a half assed attitude, he doesn't compete as hard and doesn't battle like he should unlike Barkov, Matthews etc. He replies on his speed and skating only. When the Sabres reach the playoffs you'll see.
Again have you watched any of our games this season? Also it's great to know a guy who is 22 is what he is and there is no way he ever improves (when in fact he has shown steady improvement every year of his pro career).:thumbu:

Reactions: Tage2Tuch and zaqq

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
This will come off as very A-holish, and I promise its not meant to be that way.....but this is a very low bar.

Baby steps. The Sabres have been a train wreck on ice for years. I certainly didn't expect them to magically go from that to cup contender overnight. For now, I'm happy to be able to say I actually *like* the team I cheer for again.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
There's more to it than the record for Buffalo. The Sabres are actually having games where they outshoot, outchance, and outplay opponents --- sometimes even games they end up losing. Over the last several years, even when we did win, we rarely deserved to. The team is finaly watchable and entertaining more nights than not.
We've had a really soft schedule.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
We've had a really soft schedule.

Remind me how they looked against bad teams in recent years? (Hint: worse.)
The Sabres are an improved team this year. The return for ROR more or less sucks, but the moves Botterill made, in aggregate, clearly helped the team.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Remind me how they looked against bad teams in recent years? (Hint: worse.)
The Sabres are an improved team this year. The return for ROR more or less sucks, but the moves Botterill made, in aggregate, clearly helped the team.
True. But that doesn't mean we can't bemoan the O'Reilly trade, aka the one bad move Botts made this summer.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
I remember Blues fans in the two weeks before the trade implying Robert Thomas and Brayden Schenn were better hockey players. Are you guys still out there?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I remember Blues fans in the two weeks before the trade implying Robert Thomas and Brayden Schenn were better hockey players. Are you guys still out there?
:huh:

I mean Schenn did show to be a more offensively gifted player, Orielly has had something to say about that.

Thomas...? I could see some argue potential but certainly not right out of the gate. Kid looks good but O'Reilly has been better then advertised.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Legit #1C. ROR has been fantastic since he was an Av. I'm glad the Sabres are having a better season, but losing ROR sure isn't what improved the team.

St. Louis has a real chance to be a powerhouse for the forseeable future, if... Well, you all know the "if" I'm thinking of. Every post about the Blues ends this same way. ...if Jake Allen.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
There isn't a single Sabres poster who is actually respected on the Sabres board who is or was okay with the trade.

The trade has always reeked of a meddling owner who felt slighted by O'Reilly's end of season comments. The fact that UFAs were told on July 1st that if they signed in Buffalo to not expect RoR to be on the roster. The fact that he was traded minutes before Buffalo would be on the hook for his signing bonus. None of that is a logical move for a GM. Botteril had all Summer to find a deal that would work and he traded him on the one day that St. Louis would have to pick up the bonus? That signing bonus is meaningless to an owner like Pegula unless it was personal.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
There isn't a single Sabres poster who is actually respected on the Sabres board who is or was okay with the trade.

The trade has always reeked of a meddling owner who felt slighted by O'Reilly's end of season comments. The fact that UFAs were told on July 1st that if they signed in Buffalo to not expect RoR to be on the roster. The fact that he was traded minutes before Buffalo would be on the hook for his signing bonus. None of that is a logical move for a GM. Botteril had all Summer to find a deal that would work and he traded him on the one day that St. Louis would have to pick up the bonus? That signing bonus is meaningless to an owner like Pegula unless it was personal.
How pathetic. The Sabres are low-key such a joke.

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
It isn't actually an insult to Eichel to be compared to Malkin, Malkin may be one of the most pure talented players in the history of NHL... Though the poster said Malkin lacks drive which I don't agree with. If he had no drive he would be by far the most natural talented player ever with his achievements.

Reactions: nonzerochance

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
It isn't actually an insult to Eichel to be compared to Malkin, Malkin may be one of the most pure talented players in the history of NHL... Though the poster said Malkin lacks drive which I don't agree with. If he had no drive he would be by far the most natural talented player ever with his achievements.
Malkin at times can be really lazy and inconsistent . Theres no denying that.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
ROR has been better than I expected. Anyone saying he’s not a 1c need to have their head examined. Best part about him is that he talented with a strong work ethic. He hustles every shift, even if we are getting blown out during the game. I’m going to enjoy watching him throughout his prime. Now we just need to find out where our defense went. Anyone seen it? Anyone? Yeah me neither.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

I remember people saying they thought Schenn and Thomas would be top 6 centers over Bozak, not ROR. This was prior to the ROR trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad