Ryan O'Reilly hatty and 19th point on the year

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He's been the best and most consistent player on the entire roster.

What's funny are threads on the team boards where the Sabres fans claim their team "won the trade".

Our team is better now without him than they ever were with him. :dunno: Do I love the trade? No. But I actually enjoy watching my team play now, which is something that hasn't been true for ~5 years.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Our team is better now without him than they ever were with him. :dunno: Do I love the trade? No. But I actually enjoy watching my team play now, which is something that hasn't been true for ~5 years.
Totally, they've vastly exceeded expectations. They'll be in a wild card slot at the end of the year if the goaltending stays sharp.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
You might enjoy watching it more with him as the 2C....

This is exactly the same as Oshie being traded out of Stl....sure Blues went to the WCF without him. Brouwer added a certain element but there should be little doubt that Oshie could have been even more impactful playing with Fabbri and Stastny..because as good as Brouwer was at times, he was dreadful the rest of the time.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
You might enjoy watching it more with him as the 2C....

This is exactly the same as Oshie being traded out of Stl....sure Blues went to the WCF without him. Brouwer added a certain element but there should be little doubt that Oshie could have been even more impactful playing with Fabbri and Stastny..because as good as Brouwer was at times, he was dreadful the rest of the time.

Maybe, maybe not. The trade obviously rejuvenated ROR, because he never performed at the level he is in STL here. Don't get me wrong..He's a great hockey player, and I'd love to have a proper 2C on the roster to slot behind Eichel while Mittelstadt develops, but I can't honestly believe he'd be having the season he is if he were still in Buffalo. The trade was a major shake-up, and maybe the kind of kick in the pants that both the Sabres and ROR needed to get going again.

Reactions: stl76

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Maybe, maybe not. The trade obviously rejuvenated ROR, because he never performed at the level he is in STL here. Don't get me wrong..He's a great hockey player, and I'd love to have a proper 2C on the roster to slot behind Eichel while Mittelstadt develops, but I can't honestly believe he'd be having the season he is if he were still in Buffalo. The trade was a major shake-up, and maybe the kind of kick in the pants that both the Sabres and ROR needed to get going again.
That's a Sabres problem, not a ROR problem.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
A Buffalo fan had started a thread early (maybe pre-season) that proposed to compare the trade purely on points produced by the players: So add Sobotka, Berglund, Thompson's points vs O'Reilly.

It was mercifully allowed to die, but I never expected that skewed way of looking at it to favor St Louis so much. Every time ROR has another productive game, I wonder if that guy is still paying attention.

Buffalo traded for futures. The hope that Tage turns into something, and that 1st rounder. St Louis traded for O'Reilly's prime years, already under contract, which matches perfectly with the rest of the same-age core. If we can just get solid goaltending and playing with a structure that doesn't bleed possession like melted ice cream, the Blues are poised to have a real window of contention here. Maybe in a couple years or so, Buffalo may like this trade better. But the narrative that ROR was some kind of drag on his team, despite his effort on the ice, is hard to take seriously. That post-season interview has been blown out of proportion. It really wasn't anything other than a frustrated guy trying to give an honest answer.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Yet they also picked McDavid and Draisaitl.

They picked McDavid because they failed to accomplish anything after drafting 1st overall 3 years in a row. They then traded a Hart winner in Hall for a 2nd pairing D.

Hooray they are blameless because a no brainer pick generational talent fell into their lap because they keep failing! Picking Drai at 3rd overall was an easy call too.

You act as if the Oilers deserve some sort of parade because they drafted McDavid and Draisaitl. Congrats to the Oilers, out of 5 top 3 picks they managed to not screw it up twice!

Good thing they got lucky there since their drafting in every other round is atrocious.

Man, imagine having 4 1st overalls and a 3rd overall and still being bad.

Reactions: Rob Brown

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
The "Buffalo version" of O'Reilly is better then the collection of Berglund, Sobokta, and Thompson

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I’m not saying Thompson is going to be great but many thought he would be. Berglund is decent sobotka had his moments in Boston and is bleh we really just wanted depth here and so far it’s a great trade for the Blues. It hasn’t shown up in the standings that way but maybe it will soon. This one will probably always look bad omg botterill but I can’t think of many things he’s done bad outside this if that’s how this goes.

A first round pick with size and skill who can play center is always considered a top prospect. He was never true top one in the top five or ten sense but a first round pick these days with advanced scouting is still a lot to get excited about and the blues were

was expected to center a top line with tarasenko

St. Louis Blues: When to Expect the Arrival of Tage Thompson

Seems there was a lot of excitement over this first round pick in St. Louis
I can honestly say as a Blues fan, not once on our board or on social media did I ever see someone project Thompson to be Tarasenko's future center. That's something that was never talked about, ever.

I don't even see Thompson as a center at all. People throw that out there because of his size but he's a winger to me.

It's great that he's piling up the points in St. Louis. He did that in Buffalo too.... but tell me... how are the Blues doing in the standings? I'll hang up and listen.
I know a 7-6-2 start is the equivalent of being undefeated for you guys compared to what you're used to, but you're 3 points ahead of the Blues, and the Blues have 2 games in hand.

Let's see who's ahead at the end of the year. I'm not too worried.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
You're joking right? He's a better example than Eichel ever was for the 3 years they were together. They didn't even get a good return for him either. You would think they could've gotten Pesce or Hanifin from the Canes.
Really? No, serious question, you really believe the shit you said?

You are aware ROR was a Buffalo Sabres, no? Let's see, years with ROR the Sabres never witnessed this mystery ROR hero you drool over. Without ROR .....AND, wait for it..................
With Eichel as CAPTAIN, yes CAPTAIN, the Sabres are off to their best start in 7 years.

Hmmmmmmm, someone needs to re-assess their thinking, eh?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I can honestly say as a Blues fan, not once on our board or on social media did I ever see someone project Thompson to be Tarasenko's future center. That's something that was never talked about, ever.

I don't even see Thompson as a center at all. People throw that out there because of his size but he's a winger to me.

I know a 7-6-2 start is the equivalent of being undefeated for you guys compared to what you're used to, but you're 3 points ahead of the Blues, and the Blues have 2 games in hand.

There's more to it than the record for Buffalo. The Sabres are actually having games where they outshoot, outchance, and outplay opponents --- sometimes even games they end up losing. Over the last several years, even when we did win, we rarely deserved to. The team is finaly watchable and entertaining more nights than not.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Wish we still had him but what are you going to do? Tough spot when a player says they have lost their love of the game at the end of the season. Again, I would have liked him kept given the return but I can acknowledge it was a tough situation.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Mike Milbury and Ed Johnson both look at this deal and go "Jesus Christ what the hell was Bottorelli thinking???" That's how terrible and ridiculous it was.

Reactions: Stealth JD

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

I don't ever remember Tage being projected as a center. That's out of left field.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
There's more to it than the record for Buffalo. The Sabres are actually having games where they outshoot, outchance, and outplay opponents --- sometimes even games they end up losing. Over the last several years, even when we did win, we rarely deserved to. The team is finaly watchable and entertaining more nights than not.
If you think subtracting ROR and adding 3 total trash players led to the team improving then I just don't know what to say because that's just crazy. Adding Skinner, Dahlin and a healthy BoGo might've had something to do with it, just a hunch.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Really? No, serious question, you really believe the **** you said?

You are aware ROR was a Buffalo Sabres, no? Let's see, years with ROR the Sabres never witnessed this mystery ROR hero you drool over. Without ROR .....AND, wait for it..................
With Eichel as CAPTAIN, yes CAPTAIN, the Sabres are off to their best start in 7 years.

Hmmmmmmm, someone needs to re-assess their thinking, eh?

This will come off as very A-holish, and I promise its not meant to be that way.....but this is a very low bar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad