Ryan O'Reilly hatty and 19th point on the year

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I’m not saying Thompson is going to be great but many thought he would be. Berglund is decent sobotka had his moments in Boston and is bleh we really just wanted depth here and so far it’s a great trade for the Blues. It hasn’t shown up in the standings that way but maybe it will soon. This one will probably always look bad omg botterill but I can’t think of many things he’s done bad outside this if that’s how this goes.

Tage Thompson was not a highly touted pick, He is a "B" Prospect. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

A first round pick with size and skill who can play center is always considered a top prospect. He was never true top one in the top five or ten sense but a first round pick these days with advanced scouting is still a lot to get excited about and the blues were

was expected to center a top line with tarasenko

St. Louis Blues: When to Expect the Arrival of Tage Thompson

Seems there was a lot of excitement over this first round pick in St. Louis

Last edited:

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Either ROR asked to be traded or ownership forced a trade, hopefully the former. Its the only way the trade really makes sense because Botterill has otherwise been very calculated in his moves and the return screams "take what you can get".

Tage Thompson was not a highly touted pick, He is a "B" Prospect. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Agreed, he was never what I would call a top prospect (but could be a nice player if he puts it together).

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Both Skinner and ROR were traded for pennies on the dollar, it's funny that Buffalo was involved in both trades.

Perfect situation for Radar, but man I would have given up what the Blues gave up everyday (although I doubt they would've traded him back to us).

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I know you’re Probably the most up and down poster I’ve seen in the 15 years I’ve been here but JB has done a lot of things right, it’s been four weeks. B prospect? Thompson was regarded a high prospect for a long time a minus at the very least. He has skill just hasn’t put it together. Berglund can be effective but more as a third or fourth line guy, if Mittlestadt was more ready this wouldn’t be an issue. We kept losing with ROR and something needed to change. Maybe the culture in the room of a guy who came out publically saying he didn’t wanna be here anymore and hated it pretty much. I know I’d love that guy in my room if I’m a young team!!! Perfect attitude. Eichel has matured with Pominville helping him out and I’m sure what’s not being Shown in the stats is how getting rid of negativity can help things along. Every single person has said the room had a better vibe now and that was before they won games. Even in the losses as pointed out the effort appears much better then last season.

Ror is fantastic but honestly there’s more to a trade then just player for players, we got five pieces here. We don’t even know who the picks are several top players have been selected with what we were given. Its okay to be upset with the trade but he never got a hat trick here or was on this kind of pace, he’s getting top minutes on a line with trarsenko, we have absolutely none and still hAve absolutely no proof he would be playing like this on buffalo if he were still here.

Good for him though he’s still obviously a solid player. Blues fans acting like they’ve won the cup after getting their fifth win like 15 games is cute though.

ROR has looked better with Perron and Sanford who he has mostly played with aside from the powerplay and the first few games when the Maroon/ROR/Vova line was pretty pedestrian.

I’m pretty sure the hostility in this thread can be attributed to a Buffalo fan on our board I think the ROR thread, you can thank them for that.

As for Thompson he’s a pretty good prospect. I don’t think he’s a center and with the Blues and in the AHL he was put away from the center position. I’d say his curling is probably a 20-25 goal 20-25 assist 2nd line winger. He has a rocket of a shot and great hands for his size. However the way he uses his hands doesn’t really complement his size but it probably will once he fills out. The first will probably be 13-20 range unless we fire Yeo and we get steady goaltending.

Berglund is fine in a bottom six role, decent defensively but has absolutely zero playmaking ability. Good shot though.. Sobotka is not the player he used to be, if he finds the tenacity he used to play with he can be a great 3C/winger. The pick is completely dependent on how well the Sabres draft and develop the player they pick, which I hope they do well with but I’m skeptical.

If Ryan O’Reilly isn’t a 1C I don’t know what is. He’s going to be at least a 70 point player who is fantastic through all 3 zones and leads the league in face offs. I hope to god not only for the fans sake but for his as well the ship is righted because he deserves to be in the playoffs and on a winning team.

The trade was good for both teams. Buffalo needed depth and we needed top tier players. Thompson has a chance to be a good player, but with the Sabres consistently drafting in the top 10 for the past god knows how many years they do not need the top tier player as they have Eichel/Dahlin. As of right now and this is only barely over an eighth of the season through I would say that STL won the trade. It’s not like Botterelli botched it though. He addressed needs as well.

This is eerily similar to the Schenn trade who i would say has been our second best player behind ROR. This could change once Jaden Schwartz gets going though.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Both Skinner and ROR were traded for pennies on the dollar, it's funny that Buffalo was involved in both trades.

Perfect situation for Radar, but man I would have given up what the Blues gave up everyday (although I doubt they would've traded him back to us).

You do realize that 100 pennies still makes this dumb statement true, right? Even 99 pennies. It's a horrible phrase and should never be used again.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
I've always doubted RoR was in that upper tier of players since day 1, I always expect him to finally have a bad year, but every year he proves me wrong.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I still can't fathom how you can end up with the first overall pick with Eichel and Orielly as your top 2 Cs

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
The Avalanche once had O'Reilly AND MacKinnon AND Duchene.

What if their management had made different decisions.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I know you’re Probably the most up and down poster I’ve seen in the 15 years I’ve been here but JB has done a lot of things right, it’s been four weeks. B prospect? Thompson was regarded a high prospect for a long time a minus at the very least. He has skill just hasn’t put it together. Berglund can be effective but more as a third or fourth line guy, if Mittlestadt was more ready this wouldn’t be an issue. We kept losing with ROR and something needed to change. Maybe the culture in the room of a guy who came out publically saying he didn’t wanna be here anymore and hated it pretty much. I know I’d love that guy in my room if I’m a young team!!! Perfect attitude. Eichel has matured with Pominville helping him out and I’m sure what’s not being Shown in the stats is how getting rid of negativity can help things along. Every single person has said the room had a better vibe now and that was before they won games. Even in the losses as pointed out the effort appears much better then last season.

Ror is fantastic but honestly there’s more to a trade then just player for players, we got five pieces here. We don’t even know who the picks are several top players have been selected with what we were given. Its okay to be upset with the trade but he never got a hat trick here or was on this kind of pace, he’s getting top minutes on a line with trarsenko, we have absolutely none and still hAve absolutely no proof he would be playing like this on buffalo if he were still here.

Good for him though he’s still obviously a solid player. Blues fans acting like they’ve won the cup after getting their fifth win like 15 games is cute though.

There he is.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Can someone explain to me why the Sabres traded him? I still don't understand. They could've had a couple more wins with a guy like him right now.
I'm under the impression that our DFL finish commanding some sort of major core change, his bonus, his comments about giving up on the season early (and his play early confirming that), and possibly already having drawn the ire of the Pegula's by making headlines with his DWI a week after coming to Buffalo... all lead to them deciding he was the odd man out.

Also figure he's making $7.5mil the next five years, when we have numerous younger players looking for second and third contracts within that timeframe (incl. Dahlin, Mittelstadt, Reinhart)... in which that cap space and flexibility as Berglund and Sobotka (among other vets) drop off may be crucial.

And unlike Okposo or others on the team, who I'm sure we would've rather made that cap room with by moving, ROR actually had trade value. Albeit not enough to objectively match his on-ice contributions short term. Though Berglund is helping make one of the most effective 4th lines the Sabres have had in years (a bottom 6 lift we desperately needed). Sobotka is meh. Remains to be seen if Thompson can figure things out and what those picks end up turning into. That's usually the gamble/game you play trading higher end guys for futures.

EDIT: Considering our Cup window, if we have one, rides on Eichel/Dahlin's prime years now... I'd also guess Sabres management probably value more picks/futures to draft and develop and provide that extra wave of potential core pieces and depth support in a few years, versus the thinking that we're going to win a bit more now with a vet like ROR.

Last edited:

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I’m not saying Thompson is going to be great but many thought he would be. Berglund is decent sobotka had his moments in Boston and is bleh we really just wanted depth here and so far it’s a great trade for the Blues. It hasn’t shown up in the standings that way but maybe it will soon. This one will probably always look bad omg botterill but I can’t think of many things he’s done bad outside this if that’s how this goes.

A first round pick with size and skill who can play center is always considered a top prospect. He was never true top one in the top five or ten sense but a first round pick these days with advanced scouting is still a lot to get excited about and the blues were

Was expected to be a top line center for Tarasenko? Because you found one fan written article on Fansided?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Can someone explain to me why the Sabres traded him? I still don't understand. They could've had a couple more wins with a guy like him right now.

Because this league is ass backwards in regards to allowing it's players to show some sort of emotion instead of the regurgitated robotic answers. He was deemed a "locker room cancer" for that interview he gave at the end of the season for just giving an honest assessment of how much of a disaster the Sabres were.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Because this league is ass backwards in regards to allowing it's players to show some sort of emotion instead of the regurgitated robotic answers. He was deemed a "locker room cancer" for that interview he gave at the end of the season for just giving an honest assessment of how much of a disaster the Sabres were.
They probably wouldn't have been as irritated by it if he assessed the Sabres as a whole like you said, maybe show more frustration than sulking, and didn't outright say he personally bailed on his job and gave up on the season early. Which seems confirmed by his way-below-average play to start the year, though he did spring back to life after the season was lost.

Don't think any employer wants to see/hear that. Especially after finishing DFL primarily due to the teams abhorrent start. And then turn around and give a key reason for that his $7.5mill bonus check to boot.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

That's called hyping up your pick. He's never been ranked high by 3rd party sources. He'll be a good NHL'er but thats a B prospect.

Captain Holt

Fun? I was never fun! You take that back
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
It's great that he's piling up the points in St. Louis. He did that in Buffalo too.... but tell me... how are the Blues doing in the standings? I'll hang up and listen.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
It's great that he's piling up the points in St. Louis. He did that in Buffalo too.... but tell me... how are the Blues doing in the standings? I'll hang up and listen.
You seem like the kid who puts up his "everything proof" shield when things aren't going his way.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
The Avalanche once had O'Reilly AND MacKinnon AND Duchene.

What if their management had made different decisions.

Duchene is a locker room issue and ROR was after all the money ever. Duchene had issues with every coach he had in Colorado and pouted when he didn't get his way. I like the dude as a player but the Avs are drastically improved without him.

ROR would be absolutely perfect back in Denver though. His work ethic is infectious and he's a leader. I take ROR back all day every day over Duchene. There's still a strong vocal Avs group that hates ROR, but he is the perfect 2 c for the Avs.

Last edited:

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
The fact that we have him locked up for four more seasons after this year it's just amazing we traded basically nothing for a STAR Center and it's bad as a Blues have started out Ryan O'Reilly is the kind of player we need to finally get over that hump in the playoffs

Really? Heck I didn't even know that! I'm so giddy with excitement now!

ROR is outstanding at every aspect of the game and we get him for his entire prime!

He is probably the best center we've had since....Pierre Turgeon??? I've gotta be missing someone. He's better than Backes and Stastny by a lot. Better than Doug Weight too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->