Eklund Rumor: Ryan O'Reilly+ for Noah Hanifin

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Wait, wasn't this proposal made on this site earlier today? Is this site where he gets all his "inside information"?
It's definitely not based in reality.

Ron Francis is hesitant to make minor player trades, so him trading Hanifin is just not believable. Especially if a #1 center isn't coming back the other way. I'd love ROR but not trading Hanifin for him.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Just judging from a proposal and not rumour standpoint, O'Reilly would be a good target for any budget team. His contract was front loaded, so his final four years are only at 6M each. He also had almost all his salary this season paid by the Sabres already.

O'Reilly's really good, I would want a better D in terms of either performance or upside than Hanifin if I was in Buffalo's shoes, and Hanifin is good.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Just judging from a proposal and not rumour standpoint, O'Reilly would be a good target for any budget team. His contract was front loaded, so his final four years are only at 6M each. He also had almost all his salary this season paid by the Sabres already.

O'Reilly's really good, I would want a better D in terms of either performance or upside than Hanifin if I was in Buffalo's shoes, and Hanifin is good.
So Buffalo should want a Werenski, Provorov, or a Makar, Heiskanen type of d-man for ROR? Good luck with that.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
So Buffalo should want a Werenski, Provorov, or a Makar, Heiskanen type of d-man for ROR? Good luck with that.

Hanifin isn't a Werenski or Provorov, and may never be, probably won't be. ROR is more than fair value for Hanifin.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Trading ROR for a defenseman is just playing musical chairs at this point. We don't have the forward talent at the NHL level to take that hit. Maybe in 2 years.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Ha ha. He read it on this forum a day or two ago and then put it on his blog.

I'm a big fan of ROR, but wouldn't do this as a Canes fan. We are seeing Hanifin just starting to blossom before our eyes this season and trading him would be a move they'd regret. He doesn't have the shot that Faulk has, nor does he (yet) have the defensive acumen that Slavin has, but at this same age (Hanifin just turned 21 yesterday), Slavin wasn't even in the NHL.

His skating is elite and his skills are better, and his offensive instincts are much better than both Slavin and Faulk. Of course there is a risk he doesn't hit his potential, but it's really high and we are starting to see it.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
As many people have stated it hard to imagine any team trading players who are on their ELC who have solidified themselves as a top 4 D or top 6 forward. ROR is a great player and I would love him on my team but he is not McJesus, Matthews, Stamkos, JT level and if you are trading a top 4 that is just out of his teens and could likely be a 1D you are asking for those type of player in return.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Hanifin was a plus 5 with 3 points last night. The canes let in 5 goals by the way. Based on potential. Sabres need to throw in more.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
The add for Buffalo would have to be Mittelstadt. To which Buffalo says No.

There is no fit from Montreal.

Captain Holt

Fun? I was never fun! You take that back
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
A team that has 4 top 2 dmen though. Some would argue 5.

Regardless... Hanifin isn't worth ROR (Top faceoff guy in the league, decent Center who I personally don't even like) and Mittlestat who is arguably a top 3 U-20 prospect in the world.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
LOL slow down there big fella... you sure you don't want Eichel instead? Hanifin is still the 3rd best Defenseman on his own team.

What team would sell a 21 year old top-4 D for what he is at that moment? Why would the Canes let a potential #1 guy go for less than #1 value? They aren't shopping him. Other teams are apparently trying to tear him away.

Stating Hanifin has low value because he is currently the #3 on his team is like saying the #1 OA isn't very valuable because Dahlin has never played an NHL game.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Regardless... Hanifin isn't worth ROR (Top faceoff guy in the league, decent Center who I personally don't even like) and Mittlestat who is arguably a top 3 U-20 prospect in the world.

Hence why I said Buffalo declines. For all we know Buffalo wouldn't trade Mittelstadt alone for him.

My point was that ROR + Nylander or ROR + 1st isn't getting it done. Not enough quality for the age and potential gap.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
What team would sell a 21 year old top-4 D for what he is at that moment? Why would the Canes let a potential #1 guy go for less than #1 value? They aren't shopping him. Other teams are apparently trying to tear him away.

Stating Hanifin has low value because he is currently the #3 on his team is like saying the #1 OA isn't very valuable because Dahlin has never played an NHL game.

Or that malkin is only the 2nd best C on his team, so he isnt worth that much.

Another good one is "youre not getting my best prospect" as if being a teams best prospect has any weight on strictly market value.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Who does Carolina think they could target with Hanifin if they want (and apparently need) a center?

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
Who does Carolina think they could target with Hanifin if they want (and apparently need) a center?

I don't think anyone of interest is out there right now. With Carolina still missing a few key pieces for a playoff run, we'll probably stand pat and wait on free agency, the draft, and the development of Necas.

Now if someone approaches Francis with "an offer he can't refuse," that might change things. But in the unlikely event that happens, folks here will be saying that Carolina got the best of the deal. That's just how GMRF rolls. And with an infusion of money and the commitment of a new billionaire owner, being patient is the right move.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

I can't answer for all Canes fan, but for me, the answer is nobody, because true 1Cs are almost never traded. Seguin (because Chiarelli is an idiot) and RyJo (who was butting heads with Torts) are probably the only 2 in the last 10-15 or so years. So unless there is a similar aged player of that ilk coming back, it makes no sense to trade Hanifin.

I'd much rather keep Hanifin who is really starting to put it together and has tremendous upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->