Speculation: Ryan O'Reilly at the draft for Ryan Poeling, 2nd round pick +

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
that's just plan wrong, it has been said from sources that buffalo would of gotten more (swap tage for thomas/kyrou) if the sabres paid the 7.5 m its For sure a factor
I don’t believe Thomas or Kyrou were ever a possibility. 7.5M is just his salary. It happens to be a lump sum. It would have been a cool trick to pay his annual salary and then trade him to a team that basically got him for free that season, but I don’t think that trade was ever developed.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I honestly don't get why ROR's valuation wasn't higher by GMs around the league.

He absolutely should return a prospect like Thomas or Kyrou.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
that's just plan wrong, it has been said from sources that buffalo would of gotten more (swap tage for thomas/kyrou) if the sabres paid the 7.5 m its For sure a factor

So by fronting his salary you get an elite prospect? Don’t think that was ever the case. Thomas and Kyrou were never on the table by all reports. The sabres had to settle for a lesser package and 2 cap dumps

Reactions: Colt55

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I honestly don't get why ROR's valuation wasn't higher by GMs around the league.

The price had been set with deals like the ones for Duchene and Stepan. Duchene got the best single piece in Girard because Duchene was perceived as a more dynamic player who needed a change of scenery. Maybe O'Reilly should have commanded a single player of similar impact, but deals like these just haven't been returning NHL-ready, high end center prospects like Thomas. We can't know for sure right now, but it's possible the only mistake was believing Thompson was that gem asset equivalent to Girard or possibly Kyrou/7th overall.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis

He should have but no one wanted to trade their top prospects for him. Same for Hoffman and patches.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
So by fronting his salary you get an elite prospect? Don’t think that was ever the case. Thomas and Kyrou were never on the table by all reports. The sabres had to settle for a lesser package and 2 cap dumps
Though I wouldn't call sobotka and Berglund cap dumps. But slightly over paid

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
They ranked him in 3 of 4 pros left rankings out side of top 50 so if Suzuki is a top prospect then Thomas and kyrou are elite prospects.

I’d say Thomas is an elite prospect, Kyrou is someone I’d consider either or

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Interesting piece in the Athletic this morning where, in an interview with M. Bergevin done at the beginning of the season, Montreal GM says that Botteril was asking for Ryan Poeling, 2nd round pick, "+" for Ryan O'Reilly.

From Poehling to Price: why Marc Bergevin's plan must...

Canadiens felt the price was too high and backed off.

Of course, we do not know what the + was, but I'm wondering which package would have been more attractive in your opinion, knowing that finally the Blues gave up Tage Thompson, a 2019 lottery protected 1st rounder, a 2021 2nd rounder, Patrik Berglund and Vladimir Sobotka.

Obviously, Montreal 2nd rounder has quite a bit more value given where Blues/Canadien projects to end up in the standings, but I don't know enough about Tage Thompson to be definitive... I would tend to think Poeling has more value. Am I wrong?

The STL package is superior, but surprisingly not by much.

I would have liked to have seen something like this:

Poehling, Montreal 2018 2nd, Montreal 2019 2nd, Andrew Shaw

for

ROR + Pominville.

Montreal goes through with the Domi/Chucky trade, drafts Zadina and keeps Patches:

Patches/ROR/Gallagher
Drouin/Danault/Byron
Lehkonen/Domi/Zadina
Pominville/Hudon/Armia

Jesus christ that team would have actually been scary. Obviously our future is a LOT better with Kotkaniemi/Suzuki/Poehling down the middle, but that team could have been lethal this year and really competed.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
The STL package is superior, but surprisingly not by much.

I would have liked to have seen something like this:

Poehling, Montreal 2018 2nd, Montreal 2019 2nd, Andrew Shaw

for

ROR + Pominville.

Montreal goes through with the Domi/Chucky trade, drafts Zadina and keeps Patches:

Patches/ROR/Gallagher
Drouin/Danault/Byron
Lehkonen/Domi/Zadina
Pominville/Hudon/Armia

Jesus christ that team would have actually been scary. Obviously our future is a LOT better with Kotkaniemi/Suzuki/Poehling down the middle, but that team could have been lethal this year and really competed.

You forgot to consider the abysmal D we have...

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
You forgot to consider the abysmal D we have...

Mete has looked phenomenal outside of a few turnovers here and there

Benn looks like a man possessed

Juulsen has been a solid rookie

Reilly is great

Ouellet has been solid

Petry is doing decent considering he's playing top pair when he's really just an elite 2RD

Weber (our #1 guy is hurt)

Mete/Weber
Benn/Petry
Reilly/Juulsen

It's not that bad.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Mete has looked phenomenal outside of a few turnovers here and there

Benn looks like a man possessed

Juulsen has been a solid rookie

Reilly is great

Ouellet has been solid

Petry is doing decent considering he's playing top pair when he's really just an elite 2RD

Weber (our #1 guy is hurt)

Mete/Weber
Benn/Petry
Reilly/Juulsen

It's not that bad.

I agree except for Benn and Mete. The latter has struggled more than expected. Juulsen has been way better than Mete.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
I agree except for Benn and Mete. The latter has struggled more than expected. Juulsen has been way better than Mete.

Mete has struggles when they put pressure on him causing some turnovers or sloppy play.. but he is so fluid on his skates that he has saved a few breakaway type plays simply by catching up with the skater (malkin, LArkin) just in the last two games. He needs more time but will defintely be a solid top 4 dman for the habs moving forward. Rielly has been the big surprise... great PMD with improved physical play this season.

Reactions: Benstheman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad