Speculation: Ryan O'Reilly at the draft for Ryan Poeling, 2nd round pick +

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Interesting piece in the Athletic this morning where, in an interview with M. Bergevin done at the beginning of the season, Montreal GM says that Botteril was asking for Ryan Poeling, 2nd round pick, "+" for Ryan O'Reilly.

“When I asked about O’Reilly, they’re asking for Poehling,” Bergevin said while sitting in a luxury suite at Scotiabank Arena in Toronto just prior to the season opener last week. “That’s a starter. And a second (round pick), and this, and that and whoa, whoa, whoa.”

From Poehling to Price: why Marc Bergevin's plan must...

Canadiens felt the price was too high and backed off.

Of course, we do not know what the + was, but I'm wondering which package would have been more attractive in your opinion, knowing that finally the Blues gave up Tage Thompson, a 2019 lottery protected 1st rounder, a 2021 2nd rounder, Patrik Berglund and Vladimir Sobotka.

Obviously, Montreal 2nd rounder has quite a bit more value given where Blues/Canadien projects to end up in the standings, but I don't know enough about Tage Thompson to be definitive... I would tend to think Poeling has more value. Am I wrong?

Last edited:

Royale With Cheese

Fuelled by Whiskey
Nov 24, 2006
Interesting piece in the Athletic this morning where, in an interview with M. Bergevin done at the beginning of the season, Montreal GM says that Botteril was asking for Ryan Poeling, 2nd round pick, "+" for Ryan O'Reilly.

Of course, we do not know what the + was, but I'm wondering which package would have been more attractive in your opinion, knowing that finally the Blues received Tage Thompson, a 2021 2nd rounder, Patrik Berglund and Vladimir Sobotka.

Obviously, Montreal 2nd rounder has quite a bit more value given where Blues/Canadien projects to end up in the standings, but I don't know enough about Tage Thompson to be definitive... I would tend to think Poeling has more value. Am I wrong?

*gave up

Reactions: Michoulicious

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Anyways, maybe I'm overrating Poeling, but I feel that Ryan Poeling + Montreal 2nd round pick would have been superior (without any +) to the St-Louis package (I see Berglund and Sobotka, maybe wrongly so, mainly as cap dumps).

Is this a case where the seller was too greedy and got burned?

Tyler2829

Jun 20, 2009
Rochester, NY

Of course, we do not know what the + was, but I'm wondering which package would have been more attractive in your opinion, knowing that finally the Blues gave up Tage Thompson, a 2021 2nd rounder, Patrik Berglund and Vladimir Sobotka.

Buffalo also got a 2019 1st rounder (lottery protected, moves to 2020)

Reactions: Michoulicious

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Anyways, maybe I'm overrating Poeling, but I feel that Ryan Poeling + Montreal 2nd round pick would have been superior (without any +) to the St-Louis package (I see Berglund and Sobotka, maybe wrongly so, mainly as cap dumps).

I think the STL package is still a bit better.

STL 1st>MTL 2nd>STL 2nd
Poehling might be > Thompson, but it seems like BUF is young and rich in Cs in their pool but weak on W. Tough to gauge the prospects at this stage.

Sobotka & Berglund imo are dime a dozen 3-4th liners that you can get through FA

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
It all depends on what the other + was. My guess is that it was a roster player. Shaw? Hudon? DLR? Lehkonen?

That being said, Poehling would have been a hard price to pay for a re-tooling team. He’s underrated here and could open a lot of eyes at the WJC and end of the regular season when he’s going to join the team

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Hard to say. We have no idea what Poehling is going to be, if anything, in the NHL It's no sure thing that he will be a better player than Thompson.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

You are not overrating Poehling. GM's drool over a center like this who plays a 200' game. But because he is Habs property, Poehling is just a grade B prospect. I have seen people compare him to various 2nd round picks.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hard to say. We have no idea what Poehling is going to be, if anything, in the NHL It's no sure thing that he will be a better player than Thompson.

The only knock on Poehling was lack of offense when he played his draft year in the NCAA as an 17/18 year old. He was ranked mid range heading into the draft and slip to 25 because nobody really knew how good he would be offensively. Poehling was almost a pt/game player in his draft +1. Coaches love him cause he commits to playing a 200' game and welcomes the shutdown role.

What's funny is people consider Mittlestadt an offensive player but Poehling had similar point production and scored more goals. Poehling was able to accomplish impressive offensive stats while being relied on defensibly. He is a good one!

The younger Poehling vs Thompson who has NHL experience. Hard to say who is better but one is the more proven center. Thompson is a fringe center/winger type asset. Poehling is a true center! Future middle 2 center potential

Regardless, the Habs talked about the trade with their management team and declined.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
The only knock on Poehling was lack of offense when he played his draft year in the NCAA as an 17/18 year old. He was ranked mid range heading into the draft and slip to 25 because nobody really knew how good he would be offensively. Poehling was almost a pt/game player in his draft +1. Coaches love him cause he commits to playing a 200' game and welcomes the shutdown role.

What's funny is people consider Mittlestadt an offensive player but Poehling had similar point production and scored more goals. Poehling was able to accomplish impressive offensive stats while being relied on defensibly. He is a good one!

The younger Poehling vs Thompson who has NHL experience. Hard to say who is better but one is the more proven center. Thompson is a fringe center/winger type asset. Poehling is a true center! Future middle 2 center potential

Regardless, the Habs talked about the trade with their management team and declined.

Poehling was also on Minny's radar:

This was in fact the second time Poehling could have gotten Bergevin some immediate help, and both times he took a pass. The first came at the 2017 draft, as Poehling was falling down the board.
“Three picks before our pick that year, Minnesota called me. They made me an offer for that pick. It was tempting, but I said no,” Bergevin said. “Then after the pick, Chuck Fletcher came to me and he goes, ‘That was our guy.’ Trust me, it was tempting to trade the pick because it would help us right away, but I said no, if Poehling’s there we’re taking Poehling.”

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

He grew up around here, so I am quite familiar with his, and Mittelstadt's game. Offensively speaking, they aren't in the same planet. I can definitely see Poehling being a decent two way C...whether he is a #2C in the NHL is anything but sure.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Poehling was also on Minny's radar:

This was in fact the second time Poehling could have gotten Bergevin some immediate help, and both times he took a pass. The first came at the 2017 draft, as Poehling was falling down the board.
“Three picks before our pick that year, Minnesota called me. They made me an offer for that pick. It was tempting, but I said no,” Bergevin said. “Then after the pick, Chuck Fletcher came to me and he goes, ‘That was our guy.’ Trust me, it was tempting to trade the pick because it would help us right away, but I said no, if Poehling’s there we’re taking Poehling.”

Imagine if the Habs traded Sergachev, 2017 1st (Poehling), and more for Duchene back at the 2016 deadline?

I like Poehling's game. If I'm building a future potential cup contender, Poehling is definitely in my middle 2 center mix. The guy added muscle after his draft year and it shows. Should be interesting to see how he performs and is utilized in the U20 world juniors.

There is no secrete why he slipped in the 2017 draft. That has been addressed and more since then. With Kotkaniemi/Poehling in our system, the Habs finally have something to build on. We have a few more centers who might surprise as well.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He grew up around here, so I am quite familiar with his, and Mittelstadt's game. Offensively speaking, they aren't in the same planet. I can definitely see Poehling being a decent two way C...whether he is a #2C in the NHL is anything but sure.

I understand. I admit Mittelstadt has more offensive skill and Poehling plays a more 200' game. It's just interesting how Poehling scored more goals and similar points and people still question his offensive game.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
St Louis also picked up 7.5 mil day of the trade
I think this was over-rated as an issue. Its just his salary. It happens to be a lump sum, but not something that would really make a big impact on either side of the trade barring a budget team running on a shoestring.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
We have a Poehling type in Asplund. We have nothing like Thompson. Plus you have a 1st rounder in the 20s and can add another very good piece

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I think that Thompson and Poehling are in fairly similar tiers of prospects. That being said, I'm assuming it comes down to which ones skill set you like better. 6'5" probably winger with a booming shot probably projects as a 2/3 W or a pretty good all around center who probably projects as a fringe 2/3C

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Sounds like the club is super high on Poehling if true they turned down a ROR trade, who is almost exactly what they needed in a 27 year old top 6 centre, wow. Not just the Habs but the brain trust in Buffalo and Minnesota also high on Poehling if they're making nice offers for him. I wonder who the Wild offered? I would assume some kind of quality NHL roster player was what tempted the Habs. I probably would have made that trade for ROR but I'm not a professional NHL talent manager, so as a Habs fan I'm just going to hope they're all right about whatever that special thing they see in him pans out at the NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->