Player Discussion Ryan O'Reilly - all purpose discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Seen thismposted in the ROR thread on the main board -

"rumrokh, post: 147666687, member: 34977"]In an interview a couple days ago, Armstrong said the asking price was three pieces, not two and a second rounder. Some combination of three high value prospects/young players or two and a first rounder.[/QUOTE

I'm going to try and find the Armstrong interview when I get a chance.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017

"rumrokh, post: 147666687, member: 34977"]In an interview a couple days ago, Armstrong said the asking price was three pieces, not two and a second rounder. Some combination of three high value prospects/young players or two and a first rounder.[/QUOTE

If this was true than Botts must've been asking for Thomas + Kyrou/Fabbri/Kostin + 2019 1st. Good.

Lol @ the Sportsnet article saying Bergevin "almost" got ROR for two mid round firsts :laugh:

Reactions: sincerity0

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Here's the article/interview it came from (shared by that same Blues fan) -

Armstrong, Blues Aim to Trade for Players and Sell Them on St. Louis - 101Sports.com

“Moving forward with this young group is something we want…We want to be highly competitive today, but we want to protect our future. We’ve talked internally and we could improve our team drastically within really 12 hours if we wanted to move three or four of these pieces that we have an excitement about."

“The price of doing business in the trade market was three of these pieces for one player, or two pieces and a high draft pick and we just didn’t feel that that’s the best long-term approach for the St. Louis Blues organization.”

He doesn't specifically say ROR. But one could reasonably assume that may be who he was talking about.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Here's the article/interview it came from (shared by that same Blues fan) -

Armstrong, Blues Aim to Trade for Players and Sell Them on St. Louis - 101Sports.com

“Moving forward with this young group is something we want…We want to be highly competitive today, but we want to protect our future. We’ve talked internally and we could improve our team drastically within really 12 hours if we wanted to move three or four of these pieces that we have an excitement about."

“The price of doing business in the trade market was three of these pieces for one player, or two pieces and a high draft pick and we just didn’t feel that that’s the best long-term approach for the St. Louis Blues organization.”

He doesn't specifically say ROR. But one could reasonably assume that may be who he was talking about.
I don't have a high degree of confidence in what this means the ask was precisely, but I'm comfortable that we probably weren't taking one good prospect and then throwing in Nylander, like various insiders reported.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
You guys thinking he gets traded?

There's been an awful lot of smoke.

And Jason Botterill didn't exactly do anything to quell the rumors.

When asked about ROR, he said something like "well, I'm not surprised so many teams are calling us about him. He's a great player and has a great reputation around the league".

Which, for me, basically confirmed that he's been having a lot of trade talks about ROR.

I still have no idea if he's actually traded. Botterill has held firm on his price so far, as he should.
I guess it all depends on how motivated he is to actually trade ROR this offseason, and/or if someone meets his asking price.

I really don't know enough about Botterill as a GM yet to really make an educated guess as to what he will do.

Botterill has only made a couple bigger trades. Foligno for Scandella was a huge win. Kane for a 1st and meh prospect was ok, but his hand was forced.

Other than that, he's only made a few low risk trades (3rd for Beaulieu. 5th for Wilson. 4th for Sheary).

So it's really hard to know what he will do.

Looking at his trades, he's been somewhat risk averse in most of them. So I don't know that he will trade ROR for a loss.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
You guys thinking he gets traded?
I haven't decided whether I think the team is shopping him or just listening, whether they'd move him to spread out the talent or because there is some issue. So, who knows? It seems to me that he's not moving any time soon if he doesn't go today.

Reactions: TheKingPin

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Here's the quote from Armstrong:

Armstrong said:
Moving forward with this young group is something we want…We want to be highly competitive today, but we want to protect our future. We’ve talked internally and we could improve our team drastically within really 12 hours if we wanted to move three or four of these pieces that we have an excitement about.
The price of doing business in the trade market was three of these pieces for one player, or two pieces and a high draft pick and we just didn’t feel that that’s the best long-term approach for the St. Louis Blues organization.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
I'd want Wahlstrom if I was trading ROR to NYI, I think he's going to be a 30 goal scorer pretty soon. Throw in Beauvellier and a 1st as well

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
The Isles have a ton of interesting pieces.

Bellows, Wahlstrom, Dobson, Beauvillier. Nelson could be a good center stop gap as well.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Doubt they trade Wahlstrom/Dobson right after drafting them.

Bellows, Beauvillier, Pulock all interest me though. Nelson could be a decent stop gap top-9 piece for us but wouldn't be a huge value add.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Larry Brooks just tweeted the Isles are in talks for ROR.

And I’m the Queen of England.

Of course Brooks would say that. He was probably listening to the idiots on NHL radio all day that were saying O’Reilly was a trade candidate for the Islanders after they lost Tavares.

Dumb people say stupid things without thinking. O’Reilly actually became MORE valuable today to the Sabres and it wasn’t because of some signing bonus being paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad