Player Discussion Ryan O'Reilly - all purpose discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
From his two interviews today, it sounds like almost a foregone conclusion that an extension gets done quickly.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
I agree, I think it's gonna get done within the next week, hopefully within the first few days of free agency commencing.

Hopefully he signs for 7 to 7.25M per season over 8 years.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Dashboard_1_64.jpg

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I agree, I think it's gonna get done within the next week, hopefully within the first few days of free agency commencing.

Hopefully he signs for 7 to 7.25M per season over 8 years.

I would be happy with that deal.

When has a top two way player hit UFA at 25? If he went to July 1st next year with 30 teams bidding on him he would get 9+million I'm sure from some team.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
:laugh:

I was going to post those graphs as a reply to your posts in the Hodgson thread but I got sidetracked

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
I would be happy with that deal.

When has a top two way player hit UFA at 25? If he went to July 1st next year with 30 teams bidding on him he would get 9+million I'm sure from some team.

Exactly, he'd be a hot commodity. With all that the Sabres brass gave up to get him, they def have to resign him. Which means advantage O'reilly when it comes to negotiations.

At the same time, the reason I posted he'd get 7-7.25M over a long term deal (ex: 8 years) was because I Don't think he was truly commanding 8 from the Avs, I think he just wanted out. Could he get 8 from Buffalo? Yeah sure he could. But I think he'd be really happy with the comfort of a long term deal worth great money, knowing he has a NMC and won't get moved, plus the fact that he's respected w/ salary and will still get another deal when this one is up. But that's just my optimistic side talking lol i'm a big fan of this guy.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Do we have his WGR interview yet?

Good to hear he has no problems with switching over to Wing if and when that is ever needed/wanted.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I still can't believe it actually happened.

Been thinking about him as a really serious target since october, and for it to actually happen... this rebuild is basically making a template for every middle of the road team if their ownership will eat the bullet.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Any cap gurus know of any tricks we can do to make a slightly smaller cap hit more attractive? I'm guessing it will take 7.5-7.75 but if we could get out of this at 7.25 I would be very happy.

Maybe give him 10 million a year first 3 years to get him going? The cap hits is the average anyway...

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
Any cap gurus know of any tricks we can do to make a slightly smaller cap hit more attractive? I'm guessing it will take 7.5-7.75 but if we could get out of this at 7.25 I would be very happy.

Maybe give him 10 million a year first 3 years to get him going? The cap hits is the average anyway...

The cap hit is going to be whatever the total value of the contract is divided by the number of years. I don't think the cap hit goes up or down, it's just constant.

But there's a couple things that I know of that makes offers much more attractive to players:
1. Give more money up front - for ex: if the contract is 7.5M per year, give him 9 or 9.5M per year for the first 3 years. Players want the money in their pockets, not the expected.
2. A NTC is a good thing, but a NMC is great - it gives that player complete certainty that they can not be moved. So whenever theres' rumors, they know they're not a part of it b/c they have the NMC. For ex if ROR's camp starts at 7.75 - the sabres can counter and say we'll give you 7.25 plus a NMC every year of the contract.

And I agree with you, if we get this guy long term signed for 7.25M per year, I would be ecstatic with that. I hope we don't sign him for 8 though, that's tough to take.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Been thinking about him as a really serious target since october, and for it to actually happen... this rebuild is basically making a template for every middle of the road team if their ownership will eat the bullet.

We need to stop talking about the Chicago or LA Kings model. Sabres are doing their own model and it is completely different than what has happened before!

Part of it Darcy, part Tim Murray

Darcy sets the table tearing down the house and maximizing players for prospects and picks.

Murray completes the final teardown and then starts buying 23-24 old NHL players with star potential that are available for various reasons social media overexposure & personality in Kane and contract issues with ROR, not enough games for Lehner.

All the time Tim Murray is drafting & trading for players that are big & physical, but more than that, most important traits are ferocity on ice and high ice IQ.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

If you front load the salary he may be willing to take slightly less overall money. Especially considering what the Richards fiasco is front and center....get your money as fast as you can.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
If you front load the salary he may be willing to take slightly less overall money. Especially considering what the Richards fiasco is front and center....get your money as fast as you can.

Well, time to drop some Pegulabucks. We can pay him 15 million a year for the first 3 years if he takes a lower cap number.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Well, time to drop some Pegulabucks. We can pay him 15 million a year for the first 3 years if he takes a lower cap number.

Can't go that big. If you pay 15 million a year first 3 years ..all the other years have to be at least 7.5 million (I believe) ... The difference between the highest salary year and lowest can't be more than 50% ..

We can do like 10 million a year for like 3 years.. that's doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->