Ryan O'Marra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilers1*

I really like what I've read and heard about this guy, but I haven't seen him play. Can anyone who follows the OHL closely give me an idea of what type of player he is/ could be? Did he have a lot of support in Erie? Is his offensive potential good? Is he good enough to be the Jeff Carter of this draft?

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Statistics, build, etc do suggest the Carter comparisons a bit... on paper. Although personally, from watching them play, I wouldn't really make that comparison. O'Marra is a bit stronger and more physically developed IMO than Carter was in his draft year, but the biggest difference is that I don't think that O'Marra does have the same offensive potential... at all. Carter has vision, hands, puck-carrying ability, skating over O'Marra. He might not have shown it statistically in his junior career so much, but that's where statistics falls apart a bit IMO.

I think O'Marra plays well in traffic and he's good at going to the net, although if he had a more aggressive edge that would help. But I don't really see him carrying an offense the way Carter would. O'Marra can do some good things, but I think he might ultimately be more of a supporting player to a fast and talented winger, or a puck-digger and deflector for some other more dynamic linemates. Maybe O'Marra does some of the things that a Keith Primeau does in the offensive zone? :dunno: Not really dynamic or pretty, but generally effective. I still wish he'd play meaner, though, 'cuz then he'd really fill that niche nicely. I hope that all sounds positive, because I mean it in a positive way and I really like O'Marra as a prospect.

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
O'Marra reminds me of Chris Gratton and Keith Primeau except with less of an edge to his game. I think he could be an effective 2-way center that could get 40-60 points a season in his prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad