Ryan o'marra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reilly311

I've seen him probably more than everyone on this board combined. I don't think he's that great. By that I mean I wouldn't spend a 1st round pick on him. I think at best he'd be a 3rd liner in the NHL. I'd say he's about average in every category. I have no idea why people think this kid is good.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Reilly311 said:
I've seen him probably more than everyone on this board combined. I don't think he's that great. By that I mean I wouldn't spend a 1st round pick on him. I think at best he'd be a 3rd liner in the NHL. I'd say he's about average in every category. I have no idea why people think this kid is good.

I think we had this conversation before Reilly. You stated you were a season ticket holder last season and had the opportunity to see O.Marra quite often but now you live in the Pittsburg area so I am assuming you have seen very little of him this year.

He has all the attributes to be a leigitimate NHL player. He has great size that he is not afraid to use. He handles traffic well and is willing to get his nose dirty in front of the net and in the corners. He already possesses an NHL calber shot and a quick release. His skating is above average and most importantly, he is a charachter type player.

It is no coincidence or short sightedness on the part of every major scouting agency that has O'Marra in the top ten or close to it.

Most who see him, with the exception of O'Reilly, come away impressed with his game.

mad chemist

Jun 24, 2004
quebec city
VOB said:
I think we had this conversation before Reilly. You stated you were a season ticket holder last season and had the opportunity to see O.Marra quite often but now you live in the Pittsburg area so I am assuming you have seen very little of him this year.

He has all the attributes to be a leigitimate NHL player. He has great size that he is not afraid to use. He handles traffic well and is willing to get his nose dirty in front of the net and in the corners. He already possesses an NHL calber shot and a quick release. His skating is above average and most importantly, he is a charachter type player.

It is no coincidence or short sightedness on the part of every major scouting agency that has O'Marra in the top ten or close to it.

Most who see him, with the exception of O'Reilly, come away impressed with his game.

Do you think he could be qualified of a power forward or he's just like Kyle Chipchurah(sp?) last year(a safe pick third liner).

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
mad chemist said:
Do you think he could be qualified of a power forward or he's just like Kyle Chipchurah(sp?) last year(a safe pick third liner).

I have only seen Chips play on TV so I really cannot comment on his abilities. O.Marra has the potential, however, to be more than just a safe pick third liner.

Reilly311

I've seen 7 otters games this year. If he was 5'10 instead of being 6'2, he probably wouldn't even be drafted.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Reilly311 said:
I've seen 7 otters games this year. If he was 5'10 instead of being 6'2, he probably wouldn't even be drafted.

7 games, my you get around. You must be a huge fan of the OHL to go so out of your way to catch their games.

If it were just about size, he would not be so highly ranked. He brings alot to the table and most pro scouts are in agreement that he is indeed a gamer. Your assessment of his "average abilities" are off the mark. Tell me, what other elligilbe 2005 prospects have you seen and how does O'Marra compare with them (in your opinion of course)?

X-SHARKIE

From what I can tell O'Marra is a great prospect who ooozes powerforward potential.

I still think Bobby Ryan is better, but O'Marra has a pro shot, good skater, and plays with an edge. He has all the skill to be a top 15 pick, and when you combine that with his size and mean streak he bounces around in the top 10 likely.

Reilly311

VOB said:
If it were just about size, he would not be so highly ranked.

then why did Valabik go so high last year? I know it wasn't because of his amazing hockey skills.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Reilly311 said:
then why did Valabik go so high last year? I know it wasn't because of his amazing hockey skills.

Valabik is a defenseman while O'Marra is a forward. Two seperate positions with differing attributes that scouts are looking for. Valabik does indeed have size, something that is an important charachteristic for Dmen and boy does Valabik use that size to his advantage. In all actuallity, his puck handling skills are above average and he sees the ice well. He was drafted high because he is your protypical mean and nasty brute who will crush opposing players in his end. His only flaw was his skating, something that he did improve on this season, before being injured.

Size is important even at the forward position and O'Marra uses his effectively. Would he be a top 10 consideration at 5'10? Probably not but he still would garner attention due to the other skills he possesses. If size was the only attribute O'Marra had and coupled with averaging skating, shooting, sense and puck skills, then he would not be considered in the top half of the first round in a pretty deep draft.

X Sharkie, I also happen to like Ryan a tad better.

Reilly311

VOB said:
Would he be a top 10 consideration at 5'10? Probably not but he still would garner attention due to the other skills he possesses.

Yeah, he might go in the 4rd round if he was 5'10. There are plenty of 5'10 players in the OHL (amoung other leagues) that go in the late rounds or completely undrafted because they are seen as too small. Hell, the best players on the Otters right now are 5'10 and I know neither were ever looked at to be drafted.

Corey Locke would have been a top 10 pick if he wasn't 5'9. I know James Wisniewski wouldn't have gone in the later round if he was 6'2. I could go on and on here. Size is the first thing scouts look at when predicting how a player will do in the NHL.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Reilly311 said:
Size is the first thing scouts look at when predicting how a player will do in the NHL.

Not neccessarily. Did size prevent Bouchard from being taken in the top 10 of the 2002 entry draft? Does Crosby have great size?

Its not just size but what you do with it. Both Brock Bradford and Gilbert Brule are 5'10 and both are talented players with great puck skills and skating ability. One, however, is a perimeter player while the other is gritty and able to create his own space. That is why one will go in the top 5 and one will not.

The problem with Corey Locke was not his size or lack of but rather his skating ability. He was deemed to slow to be an effective pro despite having elite puck skills and a willingness to get his nose dirty. He has so far, however, exceeded expectations in the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad