Value of: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
I see him re-signing in Edmonton. Why leave McDavid's or Leon's wing for a few more Dollars? I would be more curious about Tyson Barrie after this season with I was the Oilers and their fanbase. Unless a miracle happens, I'd say he's a goner after the season.

Reactions: ujju2

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Columbus makes a lot of sense IMO as RNH is a good fit for Torts’ system. Elvis and Gavrikov are intriguing but I would be interested in Domi myself- best buds with McDavid, and his style of play would make him an ideal winger on the top line I’d bet. If it doesn’t work out for us then no worries, he is an RFA in two years and we can move on.

Would need a plus though- Domi+ what for a signed RNH?

That would be convenient for Columbus. They need a stronger defensive center like RNH and Domi has been a poor fit, to put it mildly. He is not in the right head space in Columbus.

Hear me out, the player that Edmonton needs the most is Riley Nash, a super consistent low-event center. He's had good relative goals against and xGA every year of his nine-year career, which is a rare feat. Right now Haas and Khaira are doing great but it feels like a bit of a mirage. I think if one of those guys regresses or gets hurt, and Turris has to go back in at center, it really sets the Oilers back. The bottom six could start getting caved in again. If Columbus eats half of Nash's salary he makes a nice asset for Edmonton and gives them a shutdown option.

From Edmonton's perspective I would jump on a half-price Nash as a small plus but I would not target Domi as the main piece. He could maybe be a better 5v5 scorer than RNH, who has disappointed there, but you can be certain he'll be worse defensively.

Reactions: Dumais

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Nuge has a great skillset that shouldn't dimish too much in his later years of the contract because he's such a smart player. I'm prefer it to be a 4-5 year deal and not 6-7 though. IDEALLY 6.5 x 4-5 years but he'll likely get 7x6

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
From an ottawa prospective

Logan Brown + 2nd(Ottawa's pick). If we had another 1st round pick I'd sub that 1st. That said I don't know the Oilers needs that well.

jeblers

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
That would be convenient for Columbus. They need a stronger defensive center like RNH and Domi has been a poor fit, to put it mildly. He is not in the right head space in Columbus.

Hear me out, the player that Edmonton needs the most is Riley Nash, a super consistent low-event center. He's had good relative goals against and xGA every year of his nine-year career, which is a rare feat. Right now Haas and Khaira are doing great but it feels like a bit of a mirage. I think if one of those guys regresses or gets hurt, and Turris has to go back in at center, it really sets the Oilers back. The bottom six could start getting caved in again. If Columbus eats half of Nash's salary he makes a nice asset for Edmonton and gives them a shutdown option.

From Edmonton's perspective I would jump on a half-price Nash as a small plus but I would not target Domi as the main piece. He could maybe be a better 5v5 scorer than RNH, who has disappointed there, but you can be certain he'll be worse defensively.

Oilers drafted Nash and he refused to sign with them, they had a disagreement on where he should develop. He was a first round pick and had to be traded 3 years later for a mid 2nd rounder because of this. Obviously that was a long time ago but yeah, way rather have Nuge over Nash regardless of salary or fit.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Oilers drafted Nash and he refused to sign with them, they had a disagreement on where he should develop. He was a first round pick and had to be traded 3 years later for a mid 2nd rounder because of this. Obviously that was a long time ago but yeah, way rather have Nuge over Nash regardless of salary or fit.

The context of the discussion wasn't Nuge vs Nash. Obviously you go with Nuge if that is the choice.

And no one cares about signing disputes from ten years ago.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
"The Nuge" is headed back to Van City. Didn't you hear he built a new house there and the cheese is going off in the new fridge.

oilers4life

Jun 1, 2016
so what happens when draisaitl goes down with injury cause im sure as not playing turris as second line center also do we really want to take away one of mcdaivds wingers and also one of his best freinds off the team seems about logic to trade one of mcdaivds wingers you dont trade nuge

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
Yeah with what cap space? Hughes and Pettersson combined will cost the Canucks anywhere from $17 million to $18 million. And Nuge another $7 million or $7.5 million on a 6 or 7 year deal.
I don't think there's any way EP and Hughes are each getting 8-9 million.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Give him 6.75 for 5 years. He doesn't get 7 million but he also is a UFA again at 33 so one more push for money.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Good player that can be replaced. Don't think we can rent him out. We might be chasing the cup this year. Mcdaddy would not be happy too.

Save the money for 2 other good players (goalie and winger) at 3.5 each, we can be a better team without him.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
this is exactly why Edmonton needs to keep Nuge. This trade sets us back three years minimum.
that's really over stating it. The advancement in the defense alone makes this night and day compared to three years ago. Also, if we don't spend the money on Nuge, it could be spent elsewhere. If it would result in a legit #1 starter, we'd actually be ahead.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
that's really over stating it. The advancement in the defense alone makes this night and day compared to three years ago. Also, if we don't spend the money on Nuge, it could be spent elsewhere. If it would result in a legit #1 starter, we'd actually be ahead.

thing is, we can afford a legit #1 starter with ease without tossing Nuge overboard for a mediocre prospect with 3C upside at absolute best and a 2nd rounder.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
And what about the setback this year?
Left side of Kahun,Ennis,Neal, Haas would be the worst in North if not entire NHL.

Oilers are no position to sell Nuge for picks/prospects.

Who is this legit #1 starter who we could throw money on? And what guarantee is that he would be an upgrade over Smith?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
It's hard to imagine the Oil trading RNH with no top 6 forward coming back or a series of moves with that result.

I get the sense that Oiler fans have a similar attitude to we Leaf fans about Hyman. We want him back, it's nice we don't have to protect him from expansion, we need him this year.

Both teams also need to fear the Seattle factor. If they don't find anyone who can serve as a #1C RNH might look like an option.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Even if management and RNH are far apart in contract talks and it looks like he's headed to UFA, I just can't see the Oilers moving him. Why move a valuable and versatile asset like that (1LW/2C, Pker, PPer, great in OT and shootout) in the midst of the stretch-drive and a potential playoff run?

Unless the Oilers really fall out of the playoff picture or another team offers them a can't miss deal (both seem unlikely), I think the Oilers are most likely to hold RNH and risk letting him walk in the offseason.

Reactions: LTIR

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I’d hate to be the team that replaces a player like Nugent-Hopkins with a goalie.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->