Value of: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins has this year @ 6 M so he would essentially be a rental but in this scenario your GM would be authorized to talk to Nuge's agent about an extension. I added this fictional enactment because it is rumored Nuge wants to re-sign in Edmonton but is looking for 7 million per season.

Offers for Nuge as purely a rental followed by offers for Nuge with an agreed at extension of 7 M over an unspecified period of time. Let's say a 6 year extension to simplify the valuation of Nuge to your team. Basically I want to see what Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is worth on the trade market and his worth re-signing contract wise.

Personally I'm looking for a goaltender or left shot defenceman so If you have them give it a go.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Once a player's cost-controlled, RFA-born years of his career are gone, there's no putting the genie back in the bottle. The extensions for Turris, Pacioretty, Stone and Pageau increased the value of the futures returned, but it didn't unlock good NHL players with term, which is what I think you're hoping to find and what would motivate the Oilers to not roll with him as an own-rental.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
Give or take a little i would say as a rental, 1st + later pick + b prospect
With extension roster player (cap) + 1st + top prospect

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
any free agent looking for big money in the next few seasons is a hard trade because of the cap situation, that is unless you are the Sabres they you pay big money to anyone..

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
any free agent looking for big money in the next few seasons is a hard trade because of the cap situation, that is unless you are the Sabres they you pay big money to anyone..
Good shot at Buffalo but over half on the Oilers board seem to think Nuge is worth 7 million. I don't, thus the proposal thread.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Good shot at Buffalo but over half on the Oilers board seem to think Nuge is worth 7 million. I don't, thus the proposal thread.
He'd pretty much be looked at as a rental. Teams likely aren't looking to commit to anyone at the TDL, especially for that kind of cap hit.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If I'm Edmonton I don't f*** around with RNH. Just offer him a $6.5m x 7. Or $7m x 6, I don't know. But he's worth more as a high scoring wing for McDavid/Draisaitl then he is to other clubs as a center.

But having said that, if Edmonton wants to move him now, I'm sure the Jackets would be interested. If he is willing to re-sign at a very reasonable $7m x 6, then the Jackets could offer your pick of the goalies (Merzlikins, potential star G). We could talk about D instead, perhaps Gavrikov, but I think the Jackets need him more than the Oilers do. The Oilers have tons of D coming, they just need to rent a good top 4D stopgap, not pay up for a young top 4D.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Nuge is a great player and is a homegrown success for the oilers. I can see him resigning and would be very surprised if he’s traded

Reactions: ujju2

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
If I'm Edmonton I don't f*** around with RNH. Just offer him a $6.5m x 7. Or $7m x 6, I don't know. But he's worth more as a high scoring wing for McDavid/Draisaitl then he is to other clubs as a center.

But having said that, if Edmonton wants to move him now, I'm sure the Jackets would be interested. If he is willing to re-sign at a very reasonable $7m x 6, then the Jackets could offer your pick of the goalies (Merzlikins, potential star G). We could talk about D instead, perhaps Gavrikov, but I think the Jackets need him more than the Oilers do. The Oilers have tons of D coming, they just need to rent a good top 4D stopgap, not pay up for a young top 4D.

Columbus makes a lot of sense IMO as RNH is a good fit for Torts’ system. Elvis and Gavrikov are intriguing but I would be interested in Domi myself- best buds with McDavid, and his style of play would make him an ideal winger on the top line I’d bet. If it doesn’t work out for us then no worries, he is an RFA in two years and we can move on.

Would need a plus though- Domi+ what for a signed RNH?

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Just for fun, maybe something around Brannstrom from Ottawa?
Can't say I know much about the player but skill is skill which seems to be Brannstrom's calling card.

I see Brannstrom is back in the lineup and I'll pay close attention to him while the Sens kick the living crap out of the Flames during the next four consecutive hockey games.

Reactions: Connor McConnor

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Just keep him if 7M is the price. Ideally you'd want him at 6 or 6.5 but not worth losing him over 500k-1M. He brings a strong defensive game on the wing without the centre responsibilities, gives you a fall back option at centre if someone gets injured, and he's produced 59G and 158P in his last 168GP (29G 77P pace over 82). You're not finding a replacement for that in free agency so letting him go over a 1M difference in opinion would be a big mistake. He works well with McDavid, he works well with Draisaitl, and he's versatile. He's not a star player but he's a good 1st line winger and above average 2nd line centre if he ever needs to fill in.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The oilers would likely let him walk in the offseason before they trade him at the deadline.

That being said, RNH wants to be in Edmonton. The Oilers want him to be in Edmonton. Holland loves overpaying vets in term and dollar. The recipe is there for a deal to get done sooner or later.

Whether it’s a good contract.... that will be a different question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad