Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Nuge is one of the few oilers I am not concerned with. At this point Hall and Nuge look like players you could build around. Yaks is the major concern at this point.

Really? I think Eberle's the most concerning. At least Yak has shown a willingness to change his game to become more defensively responsible. Eberle has shown no hustle at all when he doesn't have the puck, and this dates back to last season.

Last edited:

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
He's just overrated.

In a few years when he hasn't hit that art ross trophy, 100 point season level some around here believe he has, he'll get the Gagner treatment as the switch flips from hope to disappointment.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He's just overrated.

In a few years when he hasn't hit that art ross trophy, 100 point season level some around here believe he has, he'll get the Gagner treatment as the switch flips from hope to disappointment.

He's better now than Gagner has ever been. He may not hit 100 points but Gagner blows so let's not compare the two.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
He's better now than Gagner has ever been. He may not hit 100 points but Gagner blows so let's not compare the two.

I wasn't comparing them.

I was using him as an example of how fans turn against someone when they don't reach an expected level of performance.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Not being surrounded by quality leadership will delay his progress, same with others. Quality veterans is an underrated attribute to developing stars imo. One major factor between this and other rebuilds.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Right now RNH is in a no win situation and can't be evaluated fairly....along with most of the roster. He is come a long ways in certain aspects of his game and is much more physical than some will give him credit for.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Seriously? RNH has been one of the few bright spots for us this season. Hall and RNH are players we can build around. Eberle and Yak really need to step it up. I just hate how Eakins throws him up against other teams best lines but he has no other choice. I still think RNH turns out to be the best of the bunch.

Meanashell11

Jan 3, 2003
Greenwich CT
Visit site
Right now RNH is in a no win situation and can't be evaluated fairly....along with most of the roster. He is come a long ways in certain aspects of his game and is much more physical than some will give him credit for.

Exactly. Did you see some of those hits he delivered today behind the Flyers net and in the corner? Those were unreal.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Really? I think Eberle's the most concerning. At least Yak has shown a willingness to change his game to become more defensively responsible. Eberle has shown no hustle at all when he doesn't have the puck, and this dates back to last season.

I would say it dates back a lot further then that. Look at his pre draft scouting reports. They questioned his compete and said he was lazy. Why you would give a player with this kind of track record that kind of contract is pretty ridiculous.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I would say it dates back a lot further then that. Look at his pre draft scouting reports. They questioned his compete and said he was lazy. Why you would give a player with this kind of track record that kind of contract is pretty ridiculous.

That contract is going to be look worst and worst. I think Eberle could be moved for a more useful piece. Eberle is an asset for teams but I can't imagine a team willing to trade for that contract.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
He's 20 ****ing years old and has been thrown to the wolves because the ****tard GM's refuse to supply him with veteran support and have given him 3 coaches in 3 years to learn from with 3 different systems. I don't think any young player could succeed in this ****hole of an organization.
Some of the comments in this thread are shameful. I know that the team has gone to **** but it seems like this board has gone to **** along with the team.

But its somehow perfectly fine if any of these comments are about Gagner.

yep, I'll have another double standard on the rocks

Yeah, the board is going bat crazy. But that probably means all of us.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Seriously? RNH has been one of the few bright spots for us this season. Hall and RNH are players we can build around. Eberle and Yak really need to step it up. I just hate how Eakins throws him up against other teams best lines but he has no other choice. I still think RNH turns out to be the best of the bunch.

RNH has been on the ice for 26GA this year. 23 of them EV. In 16GP. 1.5GA/EV/GP is basically unheard of. Its like entering into a whole other netherworld of bad.

These numbers are shockingly bad and at anything near rate could reach 100 this year. This for a player.

If you can't see from a game like today how much junk is currently in Hopkins game I can help.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
He is a boy playing amongst men in the Heavy Western Conference/Pacific Division.

Kopitar
Thorton
Getzlaf
Oli
Sedin
Hanzel

....Those are Men, seasoned Vets. RNH is going to struggle.

Virtually none of the games this year so far have been against those teams. Only one.

Next excuse?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I actually cannot believe some of the comments here. He is an outstanding playmaker, his puck possession have improved mightily and his defensive game has improved light years all while facing some of the toughest assignments. He has literally been the best player on the ice for this team since he came back. He is also 20 years old for christ sakes. Just abysmal that the OP had to start this useless thread.
As far as this season is concerned this is a huge fiction. He's got the worst defensive numbers for any forward in the league this year. Any.

Try to count the amount times this year Nuge is caught in opposition zone as puck is turned back and how many times he's involved in that turnover. He's been almost as bad as Eberle this year.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
That contract is going to be look worst and worst. I think Eberle could be moved for a more useful piece. Eberle is an asset for teams but I can't imagine a team willing to trade for that contract.

A horrible contract based on one outlier year that will never be repeated when the club was busy handing out 6M buck contracts and had a few lying around.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

"Gagner blows" lol

4 games man. Way to right him off.

You couldn't do that all of last year so I guess you have to get these timing posts out of your system.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I wasn't comparing them.

I was using him as an example of how fans turn against someone when they don't reach an expected level of performance.

Its not something widely understood. Any player thats played here for say 5yrs is assumed crap and as if they are useless on the basis of association with this team. Its basic classical conditioning paradigm operating. I think at least subconsciously.

We saw that yesterday with Smid. We've seen it with Gilbert, we've seen it countless times.

Any NEW player, no matter how horrible they are, like Mike Brown, is "just what this team needs" and is lorded over by posters while throwing any veteran player on this team under the bus. Seriously I could write a list of 25 of these fictions over the last number of years.

ergo, any player that has not been here is assumed better, because there is no developed association with losing here, but any player that has been here is considered chopped chicken liver, or "Gagner blows" as BBO astutely confirms. ;)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
"Gagner blows" lol

4 games man. Way to right him off.

You couldn't do that all of last year so I guess you have to get these timing posts out of your system.

Gagner blows in 2/3 zones, he has been complete ass this season and IMO for much of his career.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Gagner blows in 2/3 zones, he has been complete ass this season and IMO for much of his career.

He's been real bad this year. for 4 GP.

He was real good last year.

He's been a good player vast majority of his career sans Omark. On a real bad team. With 5 different coaches.

RNH is going to be a good one, I still feel that way, but I do think a lot of Eberles one way **** is rubbing off. You may not agree but I think Eberle is the one on this team with attitude problems.

You rarely have to worry about Gagner not trying to follow direction.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You build properly from the center position. Not only do we need to keep RNH we need to get another strong center on this team.

Should have chased Seguin *hard* in the summer, should be going hard after Couturier right now.

The thing that sucks about shoulder rehab is its hard to train your upper body when coming back from such an injury and that's where RNH needs to bulk up. So basically that's a whole summer of upper body training that I think was more or less a write off.

Not one player on the team seems to be doing well under Eakins' defensive system. They're all struggling with it.

RNH was a +3 last year under Krueger's system when he couldn't buy a goal because of a wonky shoulder.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
You build properly from the center position. Not only do we need to keep RNH we need to get another strong center on this team.

Should have chased Seguin *hard* in the summer, should be going hard after Couturier right now.

The thing that sucks about shoulder rehab is its hard to train your upper body when coming back from such an injury and that's where RNH needs to bulk up.

Not one player on the team seems to be doing well under Eakins' defensive system. They're all struggling with it.

Seguin was punted out of Boston for the all the same things that plague the Oilers top 6 right now.

Soft play, lack of commitment, poor defensive effort, no physical game, fear of getting hit.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
For the record RNH has been on for 2 EN GA and 1 SH GA
11/7 EV EN
10/10 EV EN
10/7 SH GA

ScrillaVilla

Sep 22, 2008
Edmonton

He's been a good player vast majority of his career sans Omark. On a real bad team. With 5 different coaches.

RNH is going to be a good one, I still feel that way, but I do think a lot of Eberles one way **** is rubbing off. You may not agree but I think Eberle is the one on this team with attitude problems.

Have you seen the kids on ice save%? Its terrible, that at least accounts for a good chunk of those goals against stats your citing.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

You rarely can count on Gagner doing anything but gliding on the back check defensively. Gagner, Eberle, and Yakupov are all far worse than RNH defensively. If I had my way I'd ship at least Gagner and Hemsky out of here and then the other two would be on probation of sorts, either they start buying in or they could be dealt as well.

The thing that sucks about shoulder rehab is its hard to train your upper body when coming back from such an injury and that's where RNH needs to bulk up. So basically that's a whole summer of upper body training that I think was more or less a write off.

RNH was a +3 last year under Krueger's system when he couldn't buy a goal because of a wonky shoulder.

RNH is creating a LOT more than he was last season but his linemates aren't cashing those chances in. I'd also like to know why Eakins is using RNH and/or Gagner as our shut down centers when we signed Gordon for that exact role?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad