Value of: Ryan Murray (CBJ)

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
As a season ticket holder, having watched Murray in person every game this year.. I'm curious to see how other fans from around the league value Murray..

Signed to a 2 year contract extension in February... extremely cheap.. 2.8 mil/year.

Left handed defenseman... Former #2 OA draft pick in 2012... Just hasn't lived up to his potential yet imo. Clearly injuries have plagued him and have slowed his development but he does play with exceptional poise and is for the most part mistake-free in his approach to defense. He's averaging 19 minutes TOI this season but has shown in the past that he's capable of averaging 20+ easily.

Not saying the CBJ are even thinking about trading him clearly but what would you offer for Murray? Possibly throw in a pick + Murray.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Straight up for Hamilton or with a +

Why would Calgary do that? Murray is good and has high potential.... but at this point I would assume Hamilton has more value due to the injury troubles IMO.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don't see the Jackets swapping him for another D. He'll be kept, most likely, and if he's traded it's because they want a top line wing or a young #2C (I'm assuming he can't fetch a #1C).

A Sam Reinhart kind of player makes sense, and you know Buffalo would love to have Murray. Though that particular example seems unlikely as it's a bit of a step back this year for the Jackets - Reinhart isn't scoring much right now.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Would be a great fit with Weber on the top pairing. Don't see a trade to be made though.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Murray played all of last season.

They are the same age, both excellent skaters, but Murray would help our defensive issues a lot

No real need for Hamilton - the club is set on RHD and there are already too few PP minutes to go around (seriously, Hamilton might not even get any).

I was thinking Bennett but then he hasn't taken a step yet, and there isn't an obvious spot to put him in the Jackets lineup. You can't trade Murray for a guy who'll be good later. I believe he will be good, but the team needs to win now. We'd have to revisit in the summer.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I don't see the Jackets swapping him for another D. He'll be kept, most likely, and if he's traded it's because they want a top line wing or a young #2C (I'm assuming he can't fetch a #1C).

A Sam Reinhart kind of player makes sense, and you know Buffalo would love to have Murray. Though that particular example seems unlikely as it's a bit of a step back this year for the Jackets - Reinhart isn't scoring much right now.
I can't see them trading him until after the expansion draft. Keep him and protect Jones, Murray, and Savard and the forwards(with 1 of Atkinson/Anderson most likely being left unprotected). If he gets traded for a forward, most likely means another forward that needs to be protected(yes you could only lose 1 player but I don't want a a bunch of quality guys being left unprotected for Las Vegas to pick from).

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
No real need for Hamilton - the club is set on RHD and there are already too few PP minutes to go around (seriously, Hamilton might not even get any).

I was thinking Bennett but then he hasn't taken a step yet, and there isn't an obvious spot to put him in the Jackets lineup. You can't trade Murray for a guy who'll be good later. I believe he will be good, but the team needs to win now. We'd have to revisit in the summer.

Bennett wouldn't happen. Only in his second season (also missed an entire year to injury) so not sure about the step part.

Either way outside of Hamilton there's not much of value we have so I guess not a good fit

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Any interest in Tyler Myers?

That's... going a little low. I hear he's done pretty well to start the year (I honestly haven't paid attention), but even so.

* * *​
Straight up for Hamilton or with a +

He's in the same tier of performance, but we can't afford the extra cap hit straight up (trying to save for next year). That and we're pretty well set at RHD anyways; a swap there doesn't do us much good unless we can turn around and move such a guy for what we really want (we were advancing some proposals along those lines with Trouba that ultimately got us RNH a few weeks ago, for example).

* * *​
Why would Calgary do that? Murray is good and has high potential.... but at this point I would assume Hamilton has more value due to the injury troubles IMO.

This is why we're unlikely to move him - we frankly don't care about those "injury troubles" and think they're significantly overblown, so any team that wants to trade for him has to be willing to accept all of that risk. If that's not OK, then we're not going to get far. :)

* * *​
Kapanen+2nd

Kapanen is ready for a top 6 role in the NHL right now

We have plenty of wingers like that, so really we'd only take an interest if he was good enough to have forced his way onto the Leafs' roster already.

* * *​
What do BJs need?

The canonical answer is "a #1C", but quite frankly if Wennberg keeps going at the rate he is that's going to be taken care of. What we really need is two things:
1) Jones back from injury, and
2) Current performances to not be a mirage ;)

Another good young #2C who can keep improving with the rest of the team would be a good target, but those are rare and not the sort of asset that is given up easily.

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
Would like to take a flier on him but don't see much from the Leafs that would interest the Jackets.

1calledsteve

Dec 17, 2013
Long Island
I dont like trading within the division, but perhaps the Isles can work something out.

Premise would be Murray for Strome +. Not sure on the plus however.

The other option is Murray for De Haan +. Again not sure on the plus

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
I don't know what your needs are, but you can have Spooner + (+ being a 2nd and 1 of C.Miller/Morrow/Cehlarik/Lindgren/Subban/O'Gara, rights to Fitzgerald).
Or straight up for Krejci.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
... The canonical answer is "a #1C", but quite frankly if Wennberg keeps going at the rate he is that's going to be taken care of. What we really need is two things:
1) Jones back from injury, and
2) Current performances to not be a mirage ;)

Another good young #2C who can keep improving with the rest of the team would be a good target, but those are rare and not the sort of asset that is given up easily.

all things being =, I think we could talk what +s on each side work for Stepan, incl to what extent cap dump(s) sent to NY.

However, this is not an =s year.
Too many Ds to protect, have to move wonder twins first.

thanks for feedback, post if I forgot/missed something

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
all things being =, I think we could talk what +s on each side work for Stepan, incl to what extent cap dump(s) sent to NY.

However, this is not an =s year.
Too many Ds to protect, have to move wonder twins first.

thanks for feedback, post if I forgot/missed something
Stepan wouldn't really qualify as either in any case. Too late in his career.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
If Murray is moved, it'll be in a 1 for 1 swap either for a top-line center, or young top-pairing defenseman (Trouba). No interest in moving him for spare parts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad