Value of: Ryan Murphy RHD, Carolina

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
I'm a big fan of Murphy's and have been for a while. I'd send Marc Staal to Carolina for Murphy and Stalberg. Murphy's got significant and real upside potential.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I'm a big fan of Murphy's and have been for a while. I'd send Marc Staal to Carolina for Murphy and Stalberg. Murphy's got significant and real upside potential.

Carolina has like 4-5 defensemen better than Staal, not sure why they'd want to add that salary.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

Yeah doubt the Canes need or want M Staal,

But, How the Rangers did not add Murphy to Eric Staal for the two 2nds and Saarela is sort of mystifying to me.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

But, How the Rangers did not add Murphy to Eric Staal for the two 2nds and Saarela is sort of mystifying to me.

Maybe because Murphy isn't a very good hockey player? :dunno: I mean, maybe he still can be, but I have my doubts.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Maybe because Murphy isn't a very good hockey player? :dunno: I mean, maybe he still can be, but I have my doubts.

I think we have a miscommunication, I am a Ranger fan, I would have liked the Rangers to trade for Murphy if they were going to make the E Staal deal and I doubt it would have broken the deal to have him added.

Even if he did not ultimately work out, the Rangers would have at least been able to likely give him a chance to work out.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I think we have a miscommunication, I am a Ranger fan, I would have liked the Rangers to trade for Murphy if they were going to make the E Staal deal and I doubt it would have broken the deal to have him added.

Even if he did not ultimately work out, the Rangers would have at least been able to likely give him a chance to work out.

Because at that point, I think the Canes kind of hoped he'd light the league on-fire down the stretch on an extended call-up tour and they'd be able to flip hi s rights in the offseason for a F in the same boat (too deep of a farm system, an RFA and/or waiver-eligible) like Rychel or Khokhlachev.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Because at that point, I think the Canes kind of hoped he'd light the league on-fire down the stretch on an extended call-up tour and they'd be able to flip hi s rights in the offseason for a F in the same boat (too deep of a farm system, an RFA and/or waiver-eligible) like Rychel or Khokhlachev.

I think that is fair, I was under the impression Murphy was highly available at the time, but yes it makes more sense for the Canes to have played him and tried to build up more value.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Yeah, I know what you meant, I was being a bit sarcastic. I was "implying" that because Murphy isn't very good, the Ranger's management team also held that view so didn't even want him.

I admit, I'm probably much more negative on Murphy than most (Canes and non-Canes fans). I see a guy with a lot of tools, but not toolbox. I can't say if it's lack of confidence, fear of getting hit, or just plain lack of hockey sense, but IMO, until that gets resolved, he's going to struggle. It's not too late though, he's still a young guy.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I think that is fair, I was under the impression Murphy was highly available at the time, but yes it makes more sense for the Canes to have played him and tried to build up more value.

Oh he absolutely was available, but he had virtually no value so they were hoping (and still are) that he'd raise it.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Oh he absolutely was available, but he had virtually no value so they were hoping (and still are) that he'd raise it.
Right, so at almost no value is why I was hoping the Rangers could have snagged him.

I mean they right now have Girardi, Klein McIlrath and a couple prospects for RHD, seems like them adding someone like Murphy and giving him games this year would have made sense.

I now assume the Canes wanted more if they added Murphy or equally as plausible the Rangers did not have any cap space to add anyone else even at whatever Murphy was prorated, and they were not going to demote for example Glass to make it possible.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Yeah I'm not entirely sure how tight that cap was, but Murphy would have been for pennies. I should have said, which you correctly inferred, that Murphy was available, but not at the near zero value he held at the time. To be fair, I'm just a scoach more optimistic than BBA wrt Murphy's upside, which is why I place those values on him.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Right, so at almost no value is why I was hoping the Rangers could have snagged him.

I think it shows that we fans don't know for sure. Many of us Canes fans "think" he was available...and you, like many fans, think "at almost no value", but it's a lot more likely that either:

a) He really wasn't available at that point in time (ie..Canes figured it was better to keep him and try to move him at a later date for better value)

b) He was available, but only at a cost more than many fans thought.

c) He was available, but not worth much so the Rangers didn't want him.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

That's actually a pretty valid question. Only thing I can think is that Canes management is still high on him even if he hasn't been able to establish himself yet.

Then again, he's at about the same point developmentally that Ryan Ellis was at the same age. For whatever reason it can just simply take longer for these smallish offensive dynamo dmen from juniors to figure out how to adapt to the NHL game.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
That's actually a pretty valid question. Only thing I can think is that Canes management is still high on him even if he hasn't been able to establish himself yet.

Then again, he's at about the same point developmentally that Ryan Ellis was at the same age. For whatever reason it can just simply take longer for these smallish offensive dynamo dmen from juniors to figure out how to adapt to the NHL game.

Which is probably the gamble that Canes management was willing to take. I'm fairly certain they felt they could move him for an underpayment, but now seeing what they chose to do with Wisniewski, it makes a bit more sense. He's a bit of an insurance policy with some upside.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

They knew Wiz might/would not come back from blowing his knee out and didn't want to get rid of one of the three NHL RHD in the organization as a mere throw in.

By the same token now that all the Hurricanes have after Murphy us Matt freaking Tennyson I doubt Murphy is traded. He won't bring back anything by himself to justify it. It made sense when Carolina could roll faulk, Wiz and Pesce and desperately needed a skilled winger of any kind, but not so much now.

He's basically in that Can Ward sweetspot, where if he sucks, he has no value, but if he's good, he won't get traded because the team actually needs him.

Last edited:

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Thanks for the answers guys, the Wiz buyout maybe being debated at the time of the deadline certainly makes sense as to why they would not just make Murphy a throw in.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Would swap with an Oiler prospect be ok? We have plenty of young defencemen to spare.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Carolina has like 4-5 defensemen better than Staal, not sure why they'd want to add that salary.

Thats not even close to being true. Faulk, sure, Hannafin will be, other than that, no way. They've got talent developing and that's different than an established top4 D.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Thats not even close to being true. Faulk, sure, Hannafin will be, other than that, no way. They've got talent developing and that's different than an established top4 D.

Slavin, Faulk, Pesce, Hanifin were better this past season. They deserve to be in the lineup far before Staal. That's top-4 right there. Hainsey is meh but used as a bottom pair defensive dman his numbers should look similar or even slightly better than Staal. And his contract situation is far better. For the last spot they have Tennyson, prospects coming up like Fleury, or Murphy can play as a 6/7.

No need for Staal and his awful contract.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

I think Staal will be better than he was this past season and is better than a lot of people on HF want to believe, but he doesn't really fit well with the Canes system so there are multiple problems with your proposal:

1) The Canes system requires mobile defenseman that can skate well. Even Hainsey, who is probably the worst skater of the bunch still skates very well. This is not a strong suit of Staal's. Not saying he's a bad skater, but he's always been known as more of a stay at home, shut down guy and he'd be the worst skater of the bunch compared to Carolina.
2) The Canes system also requires guys that can move the puck up the ice quickly via passing and/or skating it. Marc's not a bad passer, but again not his strong suit. He also isn't a great skater with the puck.
3) Marc's contract is, well, pretty bad (although the real money gets less over time), especially with the NMC/NTC. The length is also a problem for Carolina with guys like Fleury, Bean and McKeown all waiting in the wings of the next 1-3 years.
4) The Canes just signed Stalberg, so there's no way they are trading him back to the team that just let him go.

Given all that, your proposal doesn't make a whole lot of sense for Carolina.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I think Staal will be better than he was this past season and is better than a lot of people on HF want to believe, but he doesn't really fit well with the Canes system so there are multiple problems with your proposal:

1) The Canes system requires mobile defenseman that can skate well. Even Hainsey, who is probably the worst skater of the bunch still skates very well. This is not a strong suit of Staal's. Not saying he's a bad skater, but he's always been known as more of a stay at home, shut down guy and he'd be the worst skater of the bunch compared to Carolina.
2) The Canes system also requires guys that can move the puck up the ice quickly via passing and/or skating it. Marc's not a bad passer, but again not his strong suit. He also isn't a great skater with the puck.
3) Marc's contract is, well, pretty bad (although the real money gets less over time), especially with the NMC/NTC. The length is also a problem for Carolina with guys like Fleury, Bean and McKeown all waiting in the wings of the next 1-3 years.
4) The Canes just signed Stalberg, so there's no way they are trading him back to the team that just let him go.

Given all that, your proposal doesn't make a whole lot of sense for Carolina.

Have to agree w. bB here. Except for #4, Stalberg = no big whoop, the other 3 are spot on

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad