Value of: Ryan Miller to the Avs

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
He can’t be away from his wife for three months to chase a Stanley Cup ring before he retires this summer?

Exactly. Same with Getzlaf. For both of them this might be their last chance at a deep playoff run...why wouldn't they be excited to be part of something like that? I don't get the 2-3 months away from family stuff. They've got the rest of their lives for that!

Reactions: Unbiased Fan

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Exactly. Same with Getzlaf. For both of them this might be their last chance at a deep playoff run...why wouldn't they be excited to be part of something like that? I don't get the 2-3 months away from family stuff. They've got the rest of their lives for that!
Maybe winning a cup isn't that important to them at this stage of their careers and their family life?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Maybe winning a cup isn't that important to them at this stage of their careers and their family life?

Do you really want those types on your team then? I'd rather have guys that want to leave to have a chance to win then guys who stay to be comfy with their families. Maybe that is part of the Ducks culture that needs to change, eh?

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Do you really want those types on your team then? I'd rather have guys that want to leave to have a chance to win then guys who stay to be comfy with their families. Maybe that is part of the Ducks culture that needs to change, eh?
I think you confuse the desire to win a cup with being okay with losing. You're asking these players to give up their lives for 3 months so our team can get a few more assets. I'd say team loyalty is just as important and both BM and the player have expressed it in this situation.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I think you confuse the desire to win a cup with being okay with losing. You're asking these players to give up their lives for 3 months so our team can get a few more assets. I'd say team loyalty is just as important and both BM and the player have expressed it in this situation.

I'm not even looking at it from the team's perspective. Getting an extra 3rd or 4th round pick is nice but it misses the point. I'm simply saying that for guys at the end of their careers like Miller and Getzlaf, they should DESIRE the opportunity to go after the cup one last time. If they have any competitive desire remaining, the thought of going to a team like Colorado to go for a last cup should be something they'd WANT to do. The fact that they'd rather just play out the string and collect a paycheck tells me that they are no longer in the sport to win. The competitive flame has been extinguished in them.

Reactions: SnowStorm

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I'm not even looking at it from the team's perspective. Getting an extra 3rd or 4th round pick is nice but it misses the point. I'm simply saying that for guys at the end of their careers like Miller and Getzlaf, they should DESIRE the opportunity to go after the cup one last time. If they have any competitive desire remaining, the thought of going to a team like Colorado to go for a last cup should be something they'd WANT to do. The fact that they'd rather just play out the string and collect a paycheck tells me that they are no longer in the sport to win. The competitive flame has been extinguished in them.

In Getzlaf’s case, he wants to stay with one club his whole career, that’s admirable.

As for the rest, that’s a melodramatic way of saying “they’re ready to retire”

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Unfortunately the two expiring UFAs I'd want for a cup run, Miller and Getzlaf, probably have no intention of waiving their NMCs.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
Not good enough to me, looks very inconsistent right now, but I will gladly take Getzlaf at a very good price, he would make the difference every night in playoffs, you need experience and grit

Reactions: hughdreamz

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I like the idea of it, but he's had a bit of a rough year. It might not be a bad idea to go after a worse name that's currently playing a little better.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
This is the second time in the last calendar year that I’ve been surprised to see his name and realize he’s still in the NHL.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Not good enough to me, looks very inconsistent right now, but I will gladly take Getzlaf at a very good price, he would make the difference every night in playoffs, you need experience and grit
What did you have in mind if he waived to go to a contender

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Unfortunately the two expiring UFAs I'd want for a cup run, Miller and Getzlaf, probably have no intention of waiving their NMCs.
I do think Miller is more likely to waive than Getz.... I also feel that Vegas/avs/kings and sharks are the only teams Getz would potentially waive for, granted I still think that percentage is low

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I do think Miller is more likely to waive than Getz.... I also feel that Vegas/avs/kings and sharks are the only teams Getz would potentially waive for, granted I still think that percentage is low

I'd love Getzlaf for a run. MacKinnon - Kadri - Getzlaf down the middle, holy moly. We'd promise to let him fly back to Anaheim the moment our season is over :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad