Speculation: Ryan Miller, Thomas Vanek, Jason Pominville, Drew Stafford

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I would never laugh more at an NHL team if the main centerpiece of a Vanek trade is Nick ****ING FOLIGNO. People love to complain about 2007 and it's all Vanek and Miller's fault, once those 2 are gone it'll probably be 6 years until we even MAKE the playoffs, let alone win a round.

Let's just get rid of Hodgson and Ennis now.Eventually they will want a lot of money and in a few years they will be old so let's just get rid of them now and trade them for 18 year olds.Let's repeat the cycle until we have no one over the age of 20 on the active roster.Obviously we don't need any player older then 25, let's get rid of Ehrhoff too, he's over 30 and makes a lot of money.We are rebuilding anyway so what's the need for him?And with all the picks we will get for our veterans, we can bolster our squad with Branislav Fabrys,Phillip Gogullas,Gerard Dicaires and Michael Ryans.

Regarding the bolded, keep in mind that the centerpiece of the Nash deal was Brandon Dubinsky, and Columbus is better for it--the irony being that the same two teams pulled off a somewhat similar deal in reverse yesterday with Gaborik. I wouldn't mind the Nash template--two 2nd/3rd liners with energy and some offensive ability (Anisimov, Dubinsky), a team's top-3 prospect (Erixon), and a 1st--in a Vanek deal, with the caveat that I would not want to take on a salary like Dubinsky's.

If his comments over the last few days are any indication, he's not going to re-sign before the end of next season. If that is the case, he should be moved this summer.

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
Maybe stupid to you. But VALUES to me.

Epitomized by people like my father in law and grand father of the WWII generation - who knew what really matters in life and how to handle it.

These guys are making millions and are sad that their friends were traded..... And want to make sure that the public knows how unhappy they are........ big fracking deal. Cry me a river......

Agreed. Shut up, play hockey and most importantly, play better if you don't want to see yourself or your friends get traded. Saying "it's tough to see a great guy like xxxxxx go," is one thing, whining and saying it "sucks" that Gaustad got traded last year (Miller) is another.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Agreed. Shut up, play hockey and most importantly, play better if you don't want to see yourself or your friends get traded. Saying "it's tough to see a great guy like xxxxxx go," is one thing, whining and saying it "sucks" that Gaustad got traded last year (Miller) is another.

What?

A player being asked the DAY a friend gets traded their thoughts. They respond they are unhappy a friend leaves. Then you guys get mad?

Last edited:

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Wow, a lot of "stuff" in this thread...

Miller and Vanek's comments - no big deal to me. I get the idea about being stoic and all, but they didn't say anything whiny to me, just honestly having questions about their future that we all know they are thinking about anyway. The bigger issue is whether they let that trade effect their on-ice performance. With Gaustad and Roy it sure didn't, so I don't expect Miller or vanek to drop off now either.

As for a Vanek trade (or with the other trades this last week and the idea of a rebuild) - more people should realize that this team, up until last season, was built with the idea of making the playoffs without spending too much. That was BTG's plan and Regier followed it. That meant doing just enough to try and make a profit, nothing more. So when those teams didn't make another Cup final the problem was not the best players, it was the supporting cast. More specifically, there should have been 1-2 players on the roster that were BETTER than the best players, and our "best" players should really have been the 3rd-6th best players. Many fans here blame "the core" when they really shouldn't have ever been "the core". That's not their fault, and it's not Regier's fault either because it was ownership that made decisions based on money over performance.

So now that ownership is different, and they all realize another approach has to be taken, Regier is doing what he can to stock up. But again, all the fans clamoring for a rebuild (even if it's the right approach) should realize that the trade itself is not the payoff, but actually drafting or acquiring players that will pan out. Even the "best" organizations bust out on top draft picks on a regular basis, so I don't expect more than maybe a 50% QUALITY return on all these picks Regier has picked up the last week. If Vanek and Miller decide they want to go, then by all means trade them, but Regier better get as many 1st rd picks and top, no guesswork, prospects as possible. Otherwise fans of a ground-up re-build will be sorely disappointed when it takes more time for the roster to come together...and then still be mediocre. There's every chance of that happening, but with even more years of missed playoffs in between.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00