Player Discussion: Ryan McDonagh

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
McD was awful. Hopefully he gets it back for playoffs.

I doubt this contract ages well
He may be a fine candidate for the early retirement injury package like Ohlund. He has a lot of injuries in his career, but when he is healthy he is a hell of a player. The Gourde and McD contract both have me just shaking my head. It fells like Holland all over again in Detroit giving out long term country club contracts to the vets.

Reactions: ultra63

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I didnt watch a whole lot of the game so I'm hoping it's just rust from missing some decent time.

I'm worried he's not gonna be healthy in the playoffs and have offseason surgery. (Since it's a bone spur and may have lingering pain)

Hoping he and Cernak get back to the lightouts shut down pair they were last year.

(I'd much rather keep McD over Johnson or Palat if we need to move one of these contracts. Johnson just isnt that guy anymore like 2015).

Last edited:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Dude hasn’t played a game in over a month and we were playing Detroit of all teams after a long night in Boston with a nice cushion in the standings. Let’s relax a bit. I’m sure he was told to take it easy, take a few shifts and see where he’s at with his recovery.

That’s the only thing worrying me w/r/t Stamkos’ return. He’ll be stapled to the 1st line and 1PP even though he won’t be 100% when he returns in round 1 or 2 (one can dream).

Reactions: The Gongshow

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Dude hasn’t played a game in over a month and we were playing Detroit of all teams after a long night in Boston with a nice cushion in the standings. Let’s relax a bit. I’m sure he was told to take it easy, take a few shifts and see where he’s at with his recovery.

That’s the only thing worrying me w/r/t Stamkos’ return. He’ll be stapled to the 1st line and 1PP even though he won’t be 100% when he returns in round 1 or 2 (one can dream).
Yeah I think taking anything from that is an overreaction. First game back in a month with the rest of the team tired as hell amplifying any mistake he makes + McBackup not playing great... I'll give him a pretty big pass on that.

He was also thrust into serious duty right away due to Hedman being out. I do wonder though - considering the gargantuan strides Sergachev has made in the past ~4 months, is McDonagh going to be our de facto third pair anchor?

Max McBolt

Dec 18, 2018
I do wonder though - considering the gargantuan strides Sergachev has made in the past ~4 months, is McDonagh going to be our de facto third pair anchor?

Anchor seems to be the appropriate word here, but more in terms of weighting the team down with his value/salary ratio.

I found myself cursing McDonagh more than any players through the Columbus series.

Rushed plays when he had time and space, we could even hear players yelling “time, time !” in one of those after a few terrible plays he’d made.
And the opposite also, taking too much time in situations under pressure and creating turnovers.

His offense has completely dried out, and his passing/playmaking has drop significantly.

That contract is not going to age well for a defensive defenseman with leadership. 6 more years at $6.75M...

Sergachev has already passed him for #2 in the hierarchy.

Yesterday’s team performance had me thinking we should move McDonagh sooner rather than later.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Anchor seems to be the appropriate word here, but more in terms of weighting the team down with his value/salary ratio.

I found myself cursing McDonagh more than any players through the Columbus series.

Rushed plays when he had time and space, we could even hear players yelling “time, time !” in one of those after a few terrible plays he’d made.
And the opposite also, taking too much time in situations under pressure and creating turnovers.

His offense has completely dried out, and his passing/playmaking has drop significantly.

That contract is not going to age well for a defensive defenseman with leadership. 6 more years at $6.75M...

Yesterday’s team performance had me thinking we should move McDonagh sooner rather than later.

I thought McD was getting better with every game and certainly better than Serge

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto

I wouldn't quite say Serg has passed McD yet. These playoffs have shown Serg isn't ready to be the guy just yet.

Serg is great offensively but McD is still our main shut down guy. Serg shows flashes of this but he's still young and has time. He's basically the heir to Hedman in maybe 5 or 6 years so plenty of time to become the guy.

McD gets the tougher matchups and Serg ideally gets offensive zone starts with Kucherov and Point.

McDonagh didn't look particularly great in the Columbus series but his pair over the last two years has been our best D pairing, and again takes on all the top/dangerous lines.

I'm not turning on him yet

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
If anything these playoffs have shown Sergachev is clearly not able to anchor his own line yet, him and his parnter get constantly pinned in the zone. Unlike Hedman or McDonagh, Sergachev does little to support his partners, in both series Sergachev's line is the one that's constantly being pressured.

Weird to bring up his point production when McDonagh had as many points as Hedman entering this series and Sergachev only had 1 throughout the first 8 games of round robin/Columbus despite playing on PP1.

Reactions: Hoek

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
McD weighing the team down with his salary/performance ratio though, Sergachev would take his workload no problem!

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Mad respect for McD, man just won a Stanley Cup and says ima go finish College.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I love how casual that "I play for the Tampa Bay Lightning" is. :laugh:

DMXATF23

Mar 9, 2004
St. Petersburg, FL
Hello fellow college students

Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.0.png

Ad

Upcoming events