Player Discussion: Ryan McDonagh

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Are all three triplets still active? With all the name changes I have lost track tbh.
Nah I don't think so. Klinkhammer is Coopers Gum, he posts once in a while. I haven't seen Tampa Bay Trio in a while though, i think his name was Wyzerhood or something.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I must have missed it but this is the first I remember hearing about an abdominal injury that affected his skating. Damn, no wonder he's much better this year.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
He has been a great addition to our team. He really bolstered our top 4. Both teams got pieces they needed for the future and present.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Blueline MVP this season for us

Yeah, I think that's probably true. I think we'll see a different version of Hedman in the playoffs though. But McDonagh's ES production has, if I'm not mistaken, been better than Hedman's, and he's also been our main shutdown guy. So I think he gets the nod for performance this regular season, even if I think Hedman is going to turn it up to a different level (or so we all hope) in the playoffs.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I'd lean towards resting McDonagh towards the end of the season, he's a work horse and the type of player who might just exhaust himself towards the end of the season for no reason.

We want him fully energized for the playoffs.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Yeah, I think that's probably true. I think we'll see a different version of Hedman in the playoffs though. But McDonagh's ES production has, if I'm not mistaken, been better than Hedman's, and he's also been our main shutdown guy. So I think he gets the nod for performance this regular season, even if I think Hedman is going to turn it up to a different level (or so we all hope) in the playoffs.
Way better actually:

GP​
P​
EVP​
PPP​
Hedman​
62​
44​
21​
22​
McDonagh​
70​
36​
3​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'd lean towards resting McDonagh towards the end of the season, he's a work horse and the type of player who might just exhaust himself towards the end of the season for no reason.

We want him fully energized for the playoffs.

We're keeping his minutes down, so I'm not too worried about it, but I mean, yeah, I'm looking at that Ottawa game, and maybe even that Carolina game, and thinking, is it really 100% necessary that we play McDonagh here? Given that, assuming everyone is healthy by then, we're sitting a pair of D every single night.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Is McDonagh the Bolts best d-man? I don't think it can be argued that he isn't the best defender, but is he overall?
Love Hedman, but he isn't the same kind of shut down defender. He jumps into the offense WAY more than McDonagh and get most of the PP time, thus, the point totals.
What do you guys think?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Is McDonagh the Bolts best d-man? I don't think it can be argued that he isn't the best defender, but is he overall?
Love Hedman, but he isn't the same kind of shut down defender. He jumps into the offense WAY more than McDonagh and get most of the PP time, thus, the point totals.
What do you guys think?
No. Hedman's better. Frankly Hedman is better on both ends of the ice, but McDonagh looks more like the traditional ideal of an old school defender, so it *looks* better (think Lidstrom's controlling the play and using position/stick to disrupt plays versus Pronger stapling people to the boards and clearing the crease - one looks more impressive, but the results on the former are way more significant just not as flashy).

McDonagh is really good though.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
No. Hedman's better. Frankly Hedman is better on both ends of the ice, but McDonagh looks more like the traditional ideal of an old school defender, so it *looks* better (think Lidstrom's controlling the play and using position/stick to disrupt plays versus Pronger stapling people to the boards and clearing the crease - one looks more impressive, but the results on the former are way more significant just not as flashy).

McDonagh is really good though.
Going to strongly disagree. Hedman isn't nearly as good in all facets of defending. Where I do think he is better is puck movement, although not significantly better. Clearly, he is better offensively. He does jump into the rush more than Mac, but he also has a better shot and feel for generating offense.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
It’s not like Mcdonagh has even been bad offensively. It’s just that someone like Giordano gets a billion powerplay points which makes the difference look bigger than it is.

Wouldn’t personally vote him for the Norris but he has for sure exceeded my expectations.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
It’s not like Mcdonagh has even been bad offensively. It’s just that someone like Giordano gets a billion powerplay points which makes the difference look bigger than it is.

Wouldn’t personally vote him for the Norris but he has for sure exceeded my expectations.

I agree, I don't think he is the Norris winner, but given a choice between him and someone like Josi or Reilly, give me McDonagh all day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->