Ryan Malone

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
Scuttlebutt is that he's going to get bought out by the Lightening, if he does would you want the Wings to go after him, assuming that he can be had for a reasonable salary? I sure would, guy was a beast and I think he never really fit in with the Lightening. Thoughts?

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Scuttlebutt is that he's going to get bought out by the Lightening, if he does would you want the Wings to go after him, assuming that he can be had for a reasonable salary? I sure would, guy was a beast and I think he never really fit in with the Lightening. Thoughts?

Sure. At the right price(2 - 2.5M) and if Cleary and Brunner are not coming back.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Living near Tampa Bay and being a season ticket member of the Tampa Bay Lightning, I have had the pleasure of seeing Ryan Malone in action. He's a big kid and pretty good shooter the only problem now is his health he's alot like LeCavalier he just cant stay healthy. I would'nt mind him on a 2 year deal no more then $5m or $2.5m a year. That would be about right.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
He'd be down my list some, but sure. However, the value of all the guys proposed here, be it Horton, Bickell, Clarkson, Weiss, Clowe, etc, are contingent on price. For instance, the Wings organization doesn't hate Filppula himself, but they do hate him at $5.5M. And that goes for any of these players.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Should put Iginla on the market.

I still don't see that happening. Iginla played pretty well and before the trade he was very firm he didn't want to be a rental. Granted he can't force them, but my assumption was they traded for him with the intention of him being a fixture moving forward.

Has anything changed since the playoffs ended? I haven't kept up too closely on his situation, so maybe I missed something.

Morrow and Murray, though, I'd wager will find their way to market.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
With all the buyouts and with the ufa's on the market and teams trying to create room for them ther should be no reason why Holland come up empty

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I wouldn't be mad if we got Malone. Like a bigger version of Abdelkader with more skill.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Living near Tampa Bay and being a season ticket member of the Tampa Bay Lightning, I have had the pleasure of seeing Ryan Malone in action. He's a big kid and pretty good shooter the only problem now is his health he's alot like LeCavalier he just cant stay healthy. I would'nt mind him on a 2 year deal no more then $5m or $2.5m a year. That would be about right.

I agree.

RedWingsNow*

Why does Weiss keep showing up on these lists?
If you'd going to spend money on a 2nd line center, why not just resign Fiip?

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris

Cap hit and term? Filppula is asking for more and a longer term IIRC. Weiss would be a short-term option until either one of our prospects is ready or a better 2C can be acquired. Weiss is better offensively and can hold his own defensively. I personally don't like how Filppula has developed and addressed his weaknesses (shooting more, skate to the net, etc.).

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Money wise both Flip and Weiss will be the same there both looking for $5.5mil but Weiss can be had on a shorter 4 year deal where Filppula wants 8 years from Detroit I think he's going to be sorely mistaken thinking that he will get a 7 or 8 year deal unless he comes down on that part he may not get many takers.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

Weiss seems to be more proven, it could be because he plays in Florida as the #1 center, but I think we need to move on from Filppula. I've been a big fan and defender over the years but this season was startling. I think he can have a bounce back season, but he might need a change of scenery.

RedWingsNow*

Weiss maxed out as a 20 goal 60 point guy as #1 center with all the PP time in the world. What will happen when he becomes #2 center with 2nd unit minutes?
I'd guess same thing that happened to Ray Whitney in Detroit.

I don't see how a 5'11 soft Stephen Weiss gives this team what it needs. All it does, IMO, is make it harder for our smaller prospects to break into the league, because we know Babcock likes to limit the number of small guys

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Weiss maxed out as a 20 goal 60 point guy as #1 center with all the PP time in the world. What will happen when he becomes #2 center with 2nd unit minutes?
I'd guess same thing that happened to Ray Whitney in Detroit.

I don't see how a 5'11 soft Stephen Weiss gives this team what it needs. All it does, IMO, is make it harder for our smaller prospects to break into the league, because we know Babcock likes to limit the number of small guys

I don't see how keeping Filppula over Weiss, or keeping Filppula at all really makes this team any better. I'm just saying if it has to be one or the other, I'd choose Weiss. I also believe Weiss will sign for less years.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
4 points in 17 games doesn't scare you a little?

17pts in 41 scares me more, especially for a guy who looked like he finally broke out last year. Really good players don't have a breakout, then fall off the face of the earth the following season. Weiss was hurt, so I'm more inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. But either way, I'm not going to carry the torch for either guy, I think there could be much better options. If we're going pure offense, get Ribiero instead.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
4 points in 17 games doesn't scare you a little?

All depends of the price. With overpayment you can let both guys walk. But the whole idea for getting Weiss is the possible cheaper price if he will have a strong desire to move nearer Ontario, like it has been reported.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
This guy is slow.

And as a big body veteran, who will turn 34 this year, with a history of injury problems... we've witnessed first hand he will only get slower.

Not a guy would consider.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
All depends of the price. With overpayment you can let both guys walk. But the whole idea for getting Weiss is the possible cheaper price if he will have a strong desire to move nearer Ontario, like it has been reported.

I might be in the only one thinking this way, but I think that Filppula had his chance, he showed some promise but his ship has sailed, kind of like Hudler did last year. It is a little bit different, since Filp will most likely be shipped out because of his salary demands and Hudler was shipped because, well frankly I can't remember :laugh:

Weiss would be a welcomed change and he's been linked to the Red Wings, so it is most likely that he'll at least be tendered an offer, 5M an above.

The Red Wings have 10.6M left in cap space, plus a buy out or two (CC, Samuelsson or Tootoo), they can afford to pay a 2nd C 5M + in the Krejci / Carter / M. Richards area.

RedWingsNow*

17pts in 41 scares me more, especially for a guy who looked like he finally broke out last year. Really good players don't have a breakout, then fall off the face of the earth the following season. Weiss was hurt, so I'm more inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. But either way, I'm not going to carry the torch for either guy, I think there could be much better options. If we're going pure offense, get Ribiero instead.

Well, we know that Flip was hurt in Flinland at the end of the lockout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->