Waived: Ryan Malone (Cleared 11/3)

Vickers8

Hayes does everything else right aside from faceoffs, and he's shown he can do well on those. Miller did..something sometimes. Pre-season, he looked great. Engaged and flying, making smart plays, etc. Granted pre-season is essentially NHL lite. Once regular season started Miller looked confused half the time. Couldn't receive a pass to save his life, forcing plays that weren't there, just didn't look like he was ready yet. I don't think Hayes not being able to take a few faceoffs is going to sway the organization/AV/whoever that Miller belongs in the NHL over Hayes.

Hayes > Miller

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Why do people want Duclair sent down? He has 5 points in 8 games. He is helping us right now, why would we send him down and waste a year of his ELC?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Why do people want Duclair sent down? He has 5 points in 8 games. He is helping us right now, why would we send him down and waste a year of his ELC?

We were "wasting" a year of his ELC no matter where he played this year. You send the kid to wherever is best for him developmentally. Now I think that's pretty clearly in the NHL, but his contract status shouldn't be a consideration at this point.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
We were "wasting" a year of his ELC no matter where he played this year. You send the kid to wherever is best for him developmentally. Now I think that's pretty clearly in the NHL, but his contract status shouldn't be a consideration at this point.

If he wasn't ready, sending him down is obviously the best move. But he has 5 points in 8 games and he looks like he belongs here. Theres absolutely no reason to send him down

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If he wasn't ready, sending him down is obviously the best move. But he has 5 points in 8 games and he looks like he belongs here. Theres absolutely no reason to send him down

I completely agree. Just pointing out that his contract has nothing to do with it.

SupersonicMonkey*

Duke is staying put. He is the real deal. Just let him grow and blossom.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I completely agree. Just pointing out that his contract has nothing to do with it.
Tell that to millions of parents keeping their kids in activities they no longer enjoy because the deposit is not refundable!

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Tell that to millions of parents keeping their kids in activities they no longer enjoy because the deposit is not refundable!

if you didn't want to do ballet this season you should have just told your mom before she paid :naughty:

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013

The thing is:

A. Is he a detriment to the team?

B. Is there someoen else who's better suited for the team whom we can call up?

To me, the answer to both is no. If you've already paid, at least make the most of it. Even if he sits out a number of games, I think being able to soak in the NHL atmosphere, including being able to practice with NHL players, is better for his development than playing with a bunch of kids who wouldn't help him develop at all.

I see no reason at all to send him down at this point. Yes, his game on the boards is non-existent, we know he doesn't PK, and he's still trying to figure out how to utilize his offensive effectively, but he hasn't been a detriment to the team imo and he can and has helped our offense. None of the guys down in Hartford would help the team more than Duke currently does imo.

AHB*

The thing is:

To me, the answer to both is no. If you've already paid, at least make the most of it. Even if he sits out a number of games, I think being able to soak in the NHL atmosphere, including being able to practice with NHL players, is better for his development than playing with a bunch of kids who wouldn't help him develop at all.

I see no reason at all to send him down at this point. Yes, his game on the boards is non-existent, we know he doesn't PK, and he's still trying to figure out how to utilize his offensive effectively, but he hasn't been a detriment to the team imo and he can and has helped our offense. None of the guys down in Hartford would help the team more than Duke currently does imo.

He is learning. Unfortunately, being so young and without any real professional experience, he is going to have games last night where AV will need to sit him and just have him watch for a while. His upside, however, on most nights, is through the roof. He brings a dynamic to the bottom 6 that we really need. If he stays healthy I can really see him getting 10-15 goals and 15-20 assists.

A 30-40 point effort from a 19 year old is not only very helpful in regards to our depth, but it's fantastic for his development. Duke has a chance to be a real star in the NHL, sending him back to juniors would be a major waste. I don't really see it as a concern at this point though, as I think he's locked into a roster spot.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The thing is:

Again...I agree he needs to stay up. It's best for his development at this point. That's all it is, though--whatever is best for his development. If the kid looked completely lost and overmatched, I'd have no qualms about sending him back down.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I feel a little bad for Malone, he's gotten too much **** for a small mistake.

Hopefully another NHL club picks him up and allows him to continue his career a few more years

No such thing as a small mistake for an athlete. That and his skill set has been erroding for a while before his mistake. I could see him being picked up or packaged in a minor deal. He shouldn't not report to Hartford. Being awol would put the final nail in his career coffin.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
I'd like for him to stay in the organization. He hasn't shown much on the ice to this point, but I have liked his net front presence on the PP, and he seems to have gelled well in the locker room.

The Winnipeg game was a prime example of how quickly multiple key pieces can go down. A well-traveled vet with size and grit is nice to have as an option in the AHL.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
I'd like for him to stay in the organization. He hasn't shown much on the ice to this point, but I have liked his net front presence on the PP, and he seems to have gelled well in the locker room.

The Winnipeg game was a prime example of how quickly multiple key pieces can go down. A well-traveled vet with size and grit is nice to have as an option in the AHL.

Yeah
Me too
Hope he clears waivers, bites The bitter pill and reports to HFD and then is called up again once the smoke starts to clear on The injury front. For what he brings experience- and size wise and what little $$ he Costs - he is definition a good roster fillout over an 82 game season (and hopefully a long playoff Run). A little slow maybe but not at all The liability that some doom & gloomers here make him out to be...

(Hate this spell check BS btw)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
People need to realize Duclair can only be sent back to the juniors and once we do, we cannot call him up again this season. Duclair is going nowhere.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
smell a trade here..every cap cent helps.. Krisco or Bourque for a D

We actually had to do this to be able to fit Allen and McIlrath under the cap. At least AV thinks so given a pretty confused explanation in his interview yesterday. In short, even after dumping Malone it came down to dollars and cents to fit in Allen and McIlrath.

I feel a little bad for Malone, he's gotten too much **** for a small mistake.

This is not about that.

On a 3rd and 4th line you really want capable strong 2-way hockey players that just can hit the ice and keep going. To a big extent lately, I think we have seen that teams that fundamentally have very strong 3rd and 4th lines in terms of speed, talent and durability have had a lot of success.

What has Malone done well here in NY? He has showed a great touch around the net, good instincts. But on the forecheck, on the backcheck, physically, etc he has more or less been a non-factor compared to say a Stempniak.

hockey365

Apr 6, 2012
North of MTL
People need to realize Duclair can only be sent back to the juniors and once we do, we cannot call him up again this season. Duclair is going nowhere.

Agreed..... Unless his game falls off completely. Which isn't the case. He created 3-4 good chances on Saturday night and is still learning the game.

I do not see Fast/Haggerty/Miller/Kristo being a more scoring threat then Duclair.....

hockey365

Apr 6, 2012
North of MTL
Again...I agree he needs to stay up. It's best for his development at this point. That's all it is, though--whatever is best for his development. If the kid looked completely lost and overmatched, I'd have no qualms about sending him back down.

Just to solidify your points... I checked E. Kane's minutes in his first year with Atlanta. Very similar sporadic usage..... It didn't hurt Kane's development....
Not that another year junior will hurt him, not at all. But NYR is the best place to shape him based on AV's way of doing things. Next year, Dukes will fly solo, while AV will attack Buchs as a new project.

Whiskers*

The reason he should go back is because as soon as Step returns he will not see PP or PK time and he will not see top 6 minutes. He will be lucky to see top 9 minutes. Playing six minutes a night will do him no good. He would be better suited back in the Q.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The reason he should go back is because as soon as Step returns he will not see PP or PK time and he will not see top 6 minutes. He will be lucky to see top 9 minutes. Playing six minutes a night will do him no good. He would be better suited back in the Q.

Yeah but what would the Q do for him developmentally? He'd just be dominating a bunch of over-matched kids. He has absolutely nothing to prove at that level and it would probably be boring for him. I think a kid in his situation needs to be challenged to continue his development. The points you make about TOI are certainly valid, and having him play limited minutes in the NHL probably isn't ideal. I still think, however, it's better than sending him back to the bus rides of the Q to crush a bunch of 17-year old kids. The AHL would be ideal, but obviously that's not an option. Neither of the two options are perfect, but I think he stands to gain more with even limited NHL minutes (and full practices, top-notch coaching, etc.).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad