Signing(s): Ryan Madson to Athletics - 3 years/22 M

darko

Feb 16, 2009
The guy threw 60-odd innings after not pitching for 3 years. There's a chance fatigue played it's part too come postseason.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I watched Ryan Madson for probably over 400 innings. Has around a 3.50 era in those appearances with a sometimes hitting triple digits and with a killer changeup. Now he only throws 95 but his changeup is still there. Another clown post.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
I guess that signing a 35 year old relief pitcher who just came back from a 4 year absence to a large contract isn't as crazy as I thought.

Oakland will regret it.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I guess that signing a 35 year old relief pitcher who just came back from a 4 year absence to a large contract isn't as crazy as I thought.

Oakland will regret it.

It was 3 years and how did he just come back seeing as he pitched this entire past season? As previously stated, the A's bullpen was utter trash last year and this was a necessary risk. It may not work out, but I thoroughly enjoy the fact that management diagnosed the biggest issue the team had and are trying to fix it.

You're grasping at anything at this point.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
It was 3 years and how did he just come back seeing as he pitched this entire past season? As previously stated, the A's bullpen was utter trash last year and this was a necessary risk. It may not work out, but I thoroughly enjoy the fact that management diagnosed the biggest issue the team had and are trying to fix it.

You're grasping at anything at this point.

It's the fact that Oakland, a team that's always been tight with the budget, is doing this. I can see the point if they were going to trade another relief pitcher and use Madson to replace the guy, basically adding free prospects, but nope.

We saw how poorly Madson dealt in pressure situations. You can even argue that Ryan Madson was Kansas City's worst player in the post season nearly blowing 2 games.

It just isn't a logical move.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Fatigue was likely a factor.

The move is very logical. He fills a huge need without giving up any prospects.

Oakland is cheap by design most years. Their ownership group is one of the wealthiest in baseball. They choose to remove emotional attachment and get guys who are often cheaper and in their early/prime years with a few veteran exceptions.

Anything else?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad