Player Discussion Ryan Lindgren

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Unless the NHL makes some radical rule changes or there is an injury, I think Lindgren is going to be in this league for 8 years at least.

Strange comment, unless Marchand is lowkey threatening that someone is gonna Gordon Bombay him.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Unless the NHL makes some radical rule changes or there is an injury, I think Lindgren is going to be in this league for 8 years at least.

Strange comment, unless Marchand is lowkey threatening that someone is gonna Gordon Bombay him.

Marchand loves attention. Someone leads him down a path that will get him attention---he's happy to go there.

I think the Rangers rivalry with the Bruins might ratchet up the next few years or at least until some of the Bruins key players start the aging/declining phases of their careers and a lot of their best players are older guys. They've traded away a lot of young assets the last two-three years and this year could be another like that. But the Rangers are going to be a team that plays with some edge and will push back and yesterday there was some of that--maybe not enough though.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I listened to NHL Network Radio on SXM this AM on the way to work.

Laughlin/Johnson were on. These two must be Boston Homers. They basically talked up Marchand. Said Marchand comes in to stick up for Bergey. Made it like it was an honorable thing he was dong. Called him one of best players in the game and how tough its going to be for Lindgren, that he basically has to prove his very existence based off Marchands post interview words. I wanted to call in so bad because this idiot who is paid to talk hockey for a living pretty much missed the whole sequence.

1) Bergeron pushes Lindgren first. (Post whistle scrum nothing dirty)
2) Lingren pushed him back (Post whistle scrum nothing dirty)
3) Marchand Cross Checks Lindgren from behind
4) Buchnevich Cross Checks Marchands sending him to the ice and his bucket flying.

3rd piece of the sequence is where Marchand shows his dirty side. If anyone was going to get accolaides it should have been Buchnevich who totally stodd up for his teammate after Marchands dirty hit from behind. Its funny how some people see things.

Also note...In the past, i don't think this would have had the same outcome. This team has players that are willing to play for each other. This is a huge piece i think they need to build off of.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Love this kid, absolutely love him. He's as tough as they come and you need that in the back end. Can easily see him being a staple in a top 4 role for many years to come.

We absolutely fleeced Boston in that Nash trade who is turn pretty much gave us Miller and Lindgren and Strome (Spooner trade). Not bad for a pending UFA.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
marchand is such a **** stain of a player.

his nose broke his fall thank god or he woulda lost a few of those rodent teeth.

my buchnevich meter went off the charts there. lindgren is a warrior and buchy was doing the lords work.

there was much smiling when the rat hit the ice.

Marchand though is a very very effective hockey player and he's toned down quite a lot some of the dirty play earlier in his career. He's a little bit larger version of Theo Fleury in a way. The main thing I have against him is he plays for the opposition. But really the NHL needs guys that everyone hates to more effectively engage fan bases in their product and as long as they're not actively trying to injure others those types usually add to the entertainment value.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Laughlin/Johnson were on. These two must be Boston Homers. They basically talked up Marchand. Said Marchand comes in to stick up for Bergey. Made it like it was an honorable thing he was dong. Called him one of best players in the game and how tough its going to be for Lindgren, that he basically has to prove his very existence based off Marchands post interview words. I wanted to call in so bad because this idiot who is paid to talk hockey for a living pretty much missed the whole sequence.

4) Buchnevich Cross Checks Marchands sending him to the ice and his bucket flying.

3rd piece of the sequence is where Marchand shows his dirty side. If anyone was going to get accolaides it should have been Buchnevich who totally stodd up for his teammate after Marchands dirty hit from behind. Its funny how some people see things.

Also note...In the past, i don't think this would have had the same outcome. This team has players that are willing to play for each other. This is a huge piece i think they need to build off of.

Personally regarding Bergeron I wouldn't mind one of our players really testing him one of these days. The Bruins as a team will go all caveman if that ever happens but it would be interesting to see. I think part of the issue is Chara--when that guy finally retires they're going to lose their protector. My problem with Bergeron is he's been playing tough guy with us ever since Andersson reverse hit him. It's past time IMO he's taken down a peg. If he wants to start scrums then be ready to square off and drop them--otherwise f*** off.

Reactions: egelband

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Marchand though is a very very effective hockey player and he's toned down quite a lot some of the dirty play earlier in his career. He's a little bit larger version of Theo Fleury in a way. The main thing I have against him is he plays for the opposition. But really the NHL needs guys that everyone hates to more effectively engage fan bases in their product and as long as they're not actively trying to injure others those types usually add to the entertainment value.

thing is, Marchand has just recently stopped doing that. He is captain slew-foot

Reactions: UnSandvich

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Personally regarding Bergeron I wouldn't mind one of our players really testing him one of these days. The Bruins as a team will go all caveman if that ever happens but it would be interesting to see. I think part of the issue is Chara--when that guy finally retires they're going to lose their protector. My problem with Bergeron is he's been playing tough guy with us ever since Andersson reverse hit him. It's past time IMO he's taken down a peg. If he wants to start scrums then be ready to square off and drop them--otherwise **** off.

Guys always play bigger when they have a behemoth standing up for them. I would love to see one of them stand up to Bergeron. I would love to see one of them have a go with Marchand as well. Win, lose or draw, it would have a bonding effect on the team. Always does.

Reactions: egelband

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I would take a team of Marchands.

Regarding Lindgren, I have always been a big fan but he has actually managed to take rather sizable steps forward. I said it before and I will say it again, he can very much be to this defense what Foote meant to those Avs defenses. He has take enough of a step forward where I do not see that with some more development, why he cannot be a rock as a #4 on that middle pair.

And love him and Fox together. If the Gorton & JD can find a suitable partner for Trouba (and that is going to come with trading of assets that will make people wince), with a Fox & Lindgren as a second pair, all that would need to be done is to find a sizable defensive defenseman to pair with DeAngelo.

Reactions: eco's bones

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I said last night Lindgren’s potential is a #4D. I’m changing that to a #3D. Not that anything Marchand says is important, but that would fire anyone up to work harder.

hpNYR

HF Forecaster
Jun 18, 2006
Northridge, CA
www.twitter.com
I think he has captaincy written all over him -- down the line that is. Leadership is not a stranger to Ryan in his early career. He has always had his teammates utmost respect wherever he has played, look no further than DeAngelos immediate defense of Ryan. I have a man crush on this kid. The Adam Foote comparison is spot on.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada

What was lost in all of that scrum was the smart play by the veteran Bergeron for the little push on Lindgren and hoping to draw him into a retaliatory penalty . That is a veteran move and a good one on a young dman with a temper . I wish we could get a few of our guys to do that like Kreider for one . That stuff helps your club but Kreider or most outside of Lemieux seldom ever does it..most of our guys just skate away .

Reactions: Unpredictable1

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
You guys know I've loved this kid forever. I've also long maintained that his ability to move the puck is underrated. He's picking up some assists lately, which is nice. I know a couple have been lucky points for him, but still, watch him closely and you'll see he has the talent to put up 20-25 assists every year. His shot is also pretty solid; if he gets comfortable and decides to pull the trigger, he'll end up with 5 or so goals per year as well.

Couple this with his impeccable decision-making, his grit and nastiness, and his all-around tough f***ing play, and you have a great defender on your hands. He should be considered part of the long term plan.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
iu

Thanks Rick Nash

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
We got this guy (and Strome and Miller essentially) for a broken down Rick Nash

That trade is just short of the Zibanejad trade

The McDonagh deal is ragged-on a fair amount, but the retuturns for the deadline sales of Nash, Grabner, and Holden the same year have ultimately amounted to (wait for it):
Strome, Lindgren, Miller, Gauthier, and Rykov

Reactions: nyr2k2

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Couple this with his impeccable decision-making, his grit and nastiness, and his all-around tough f***ing play, and you have a great defender on your hands. He should be considered part of the long term plan.
I think that he has absolutely worked himself into that. Medium and longer term., I think that Trouba, Fox, DeAngelo & Lindgren are not going anywhere.

Y'all know my comparison as far as what he means to a defense and that is what Foote meant to those Avs defenses.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
What impresses me most about his game (and a lot impresses me) is his poise on the puck. He gets pressured by one, two guys, whether in open ice or on the boards, and he doesn't panic. He either finds a way to maintain possession until he gets some support, or he makes a nifty play to create some space and gets the puck to a teammate. It's really rare he just outright turns it over. Very, very hard to dispossess the guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->