Player Discussion Ryan Kesler

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Assist was great! He also played over 20 mins but he wasn`t taking the crucial faceoffs, Rico was doing that instead, even when Kes was on the ice. So he obviously is not the old Kes.
Which is very odd... If he's not 100% bench him
I think a lot of it ended up being because Rico is a left hander and they were in the left faceoff circle. Prefer not having Kesler win it back toward his goalie.

Game stats had both under 50%, but Kes was 10-13 (43.5%) while Rico was 8-12 (40%).

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I think a lot of it ended up being because Rico is a left hander and they were in the left faceoff circle. Prefer not having Kesler win it back toward his goalie.

Game stats had both under 50%, but Kes was 10-13 (43.5%) while Rico was 8-12 (40%).
10 from 23 is very unKesleresque

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Faceoffs fluctuate more than anything in hockey. Some times you just don’t have the sharpness and timing to consistently win them. Even guys who average 60% on the year have night where they are sub 40%.

And I agree with the comment about Henrique only taking draws because they were on his strong side.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
10 from 23 is very unKesleresque
But is still better than Rico, and WAAAAY better than Steel (4-11, 26.7%) or Street (1-6, 14.3%), especially when considering a defensive faceoff.

So yes, Kes averaging above 50% lifetime, this isn't like him...but I don't think it's because they think Rico will do a better job.

Reactions: Kalv

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
If I recall, he wasn’t all that great at faceoffs last year either. I don’t think it’s a health issue. I think he was off so long and so busy rehabbing that he just hasn’t had time to focus on them. Once he can play and practice regularly for a while, I imagine he’ll get back to normal in the circle.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
You are right. But my point was that no matter what - Kes is not like he used to be in some areas of his game. Before the injury it wouldn`t matter which side it was - Kes would take that faceoff and win more times than not.
If his faceoffs aren`t that good, could it be his strenght that is lacking?

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Very possibly a strength thing. Remember also him talking about dropping 20 lbs. That's less force he can put, whether fighting to a stalemate, or forcing the puck back due to added weight.

@ADHB last year, he had 53.4% faceoff wins. The 3 years prior to that he was no lower than 56%, but 53% is still good.

Reactions: Kalv

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
If he can be a solid 3C I will consider it a huge win. So far he looks less lethargic and slow than last year but is still rusty.

I don't know if we'll see the Kesler from 2014-2017 again

Reactions: Doothpick

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Very possibly a strength thing. Remember also him talking about dropping 20 lbs. That's less force he can put, whether fighting to a stalemate, or forcing the puck back due to added weight.

@ADHB last year, he had 53.4% faceoff wins. The 3 years prior to that he was no lower than 56%, but 53% is still good.
Hmm good point, if he had 53.4 last year, imo no reason for it to be lower this year. Have to keep an eye on his FO`s going forward
If he can be a solid 3C I will consider it a huge win. So far he looks less lethargic and slow than last year but is still rusty.

I don't know if we'll see the Kesler from 2014-2017 again
I don`t think he will fall off THAT much. I think even now you could argue he is a servicable 2C with adequate wingers. Have to keep an eye on him of course because the sample size is small now, but he just averaged 20mins a night on a back to back earning a point while playing with meh or uncomplimentary wingers and still looked ok, except a few things.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I would say mid to low range 3C but even then it’s not ideal. Hopefully he can regain some mobility because that’s what’s really hurting him the most.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Not sure he's even 3C worthy at this point...he's definitely not seeming to have any speed, and I'm not seeing nearly as much in the battle / pest factor.

5 points in 24 games. As an FYI his faceoff % is currently at 52.8...close to last year, but a bit down, and significantly down from years before.

Reactions: AngelDuck

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
He needs to retire. He is a shell of himself and his contact has to be one of the worst in the league.

It does make me sad to watch him play because of how bad it has become. Compete non-factor.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
His TOI is down even from last year. He's currently on pace for 16 points and has 1 G, 0 A in the last 20 games so at the recent rate he may end up with even fewer points than that on the season. I don't put too much stock in plus/minus but his -10 is worst on the team and significantly worse than the next closest forwards in terms of plus/minus (Silf, Rakell, Street are -4).

So he's not providing much offense and not providing the solid defensive play that you could use to justify the lack of offense, and he does not really make an impact in terms of physical play. He still shows some glimpses of what he used to be (IMO) so I wouldn't say it is a pain to watch him play, but he's basically a total non-factor on the ice most nights and at best he is a grossly overpaid average 3rd line center at this point.

The current CBA has opt-out clauses for both the NHL and NHLPA that can be exercised in Sept 2019. Our best case scenario is if owners push for a lockout to get another compliance buyout deal and we are able to buy out the contract without it affecting the cap.

paine

Jun 4, 2007
He needs to retire. He is a shell of himself and his contact has to be one of the worst in the league.

It does make me sad to watch him play because of how bad it has become. Compete non-factor.

Why would he retire? He's not leaving $20 million on the table.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
The good news is, he’s being managed better. Getting nights off, not too much ice time.....you know, letting him get as fully healed as possible.....right?

Right?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
On pace for 16 points lol. You are fooling yourself if you think he is even a 3rd line level player. Antoine Vermette put up (who we rightfully wanted run out of town last year) put up 16 points in 64 games last season with 0 PP time.

Every possible option to getting him off the team needs to be mulled over this offseason by the people in charge. It's not an exaggeration to say that at this point.

The coaching staff hasn't shown to be capable of properly reducing his role. We are giving 17 minutes of ice time per night to a complete blackhole.

Reactions: Duck Off

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Other than Ritchie recently, we don't really have anyone else that can park at the top of the crease with skill enough to tip in pucks or clean up rebounds. At least, I'm guessing that's how Randy sees it. Kes can win draws and create some net-front presense. I think that's all there is to it.

Reactions: Exit Dose

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Other than Ritchie recently, we don't really have anyone else that can park at the top of the crease with skill enough to tip in pucks or clean up rebounds. At least, I'm guessing that's how Randy sees it. Kes can win draws and create some net-front presense. I think that's all there is to it.
Veteran presence?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad