Ryan Kesler vs Kyle Wellwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

psukan

Nov 2, 2005
They have contrasting styles of play. Wellwood was played a bit more last season and had more of a breakout season, especailly after the Leafs were eliminated from contention. Kesler found himself on the fourth line quite a bit more but his team was making a run to the playoffs and went with more veterans to do so. But who would you rather take now and in the future?

Matty

May 20, 2002
Strawberry Fields
Visit site
They have contrasting styles of play. Wellwood was played a bit more last season and had more of a breakout season, especailly after the Leafs were eliminated from contention. Kesler found himself on the fourth line quite a bit more but his team was making a run to the playoffs and went with more veterans to do so. But who would you rather take now and in the future?

Actually, down the stretch when the Canucks were trying to get their sorry butts into the post season, Kesler was often playing 17, 18+ minutes a game. Over the whole season, he averaged around 14min. He was rarely, if ever, on the fourth line.

albathegreat*

Wellwood for me

He also found alot of time on the 4th line last year.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I'll take the Magician :D

Thats a nice name for him.

No, but seriously...Kyle Wellwood for me. His ceiling is a little higher than Kesler. Kesler is not bad though. But he'll be a guy for the Canucks who will be more valuable to them more than anybody else.

Transported Upstater

Wellwood is considerably better offensively.

Kesler is considerably better defensively.

If Kesler had good hands, this would be an easy win for the 'Nucks. As of now, I think it's too close to call.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
They have contrasting styles of play. Wellwood was played a bit more last season and had more of a breakout season, especailly after the Leafs were eliminated from contention.

The Leafs finished two points out of the playoffs and weren't eliminated from contention until two games left in the season.

Kesler found himself on the fourth line quite a bit more but his team was making a run to the playoffs and went with more veterans to do so.

The Canucks finished further from the playoff race then the Leafs did. Granted it was only one point further but still your perception of the situation is a little off.

All I'm saying is lets just judge them for the players they are. The situations with the Canucks and Leafs weren't much different so it's not that relevent.

But who would you rather take now and in the future?

I like Kesler a lot. I think he'll be a better player then many people expect. However I also think Wellwood will be a better player then most expect.

Wellwood was the better player last year and I believe he will continue to be in the future.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I don't think you can even compare these 2 players. They're at totally different ends of the spectrum in terms of style and in what they bring to the game and team. It's like comparing Mike Ribeiro and Mike Peca.

mooseOAK*

Kesler. Easy choice. There are always alot of guys like Wellwood out there. The Kesler's of the world are bit more rare, IMO.

That is the exact opposite of what I would write.

Wellwood has some special offensive skills and unlike Kesler can make the players around him better.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Wellwood is considerably better offensively.

Kesler is considerably better defensively.

If Kesler had good hands, this would be an easy win for the 'Nucks. As of now, I think it's too close to call.

Kesler's hands weren't that much worse than Wellwood's last year (Kesler had 10 goals and Wellwood had 11). Wellwood had quite a few more assists and thus about double the amount of total points, but he was used in a differant fashion than Kesler. I'd give Kesler another year before labeling him a stone hands mucker (not your words, but what many think). IMO, Kesler's work ethic and skating ability (which is vastly superior to Wellwood's) can possibly compensate for average hands and offensive instincts.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Looks like Welly wins this one easily. Everyone but 1 person took him. I would take him as well although Kesler is a ver nice player.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Kesler is so underrated not even funny. His first full year in the NHL as a third line center and he does not dissapoint one bit. He is a future selke contender let me tell you that though. He showed terrific two-way play this year, and no stat will show that.

gurfling

Sep 24, 2004
As other people said, hard to compare 2 completely different players.

Having said that, although Wellwood is a nice player, I prefer what Kesler brings to the rink - still very close to call.

espo*

I'll say this.If Wellwood's hands are not vastly superiors to Keslar's then Keslars work ethic is certainly not vastly superior to Wellwood's. Both are'nt difficient in either area.Keslar can score and Wellwood works hard for what he get's.

They are both pretty good players that bring different things to the table.Wellwood in all likelihood will score more in his career and Keslar will be the better 2 way player in all probability. I'll have to wait a few years to see who i'd like on my team more.Both are still finding their way as nhl players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->