Ryan Kesler In Practice With The Canucks Today

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Umm, aren't all top players taking the same level of abuse out there? I'm pretty sure our top line is "slashed and wacked" just as much as Kesler. He plays a more reckless style as well.

Word has it that Kesler evokes a stronger reaction from opponents than Henrik.

Maccas

Aug 26, 2010
England
barring deadline deals:

sedin sedin kassian
burrows kesler hansen
booth schroeder raymond
higgins lapierre someone

our second plays against the other team's top line (say, getzlaf or kopitar or toews/kane). third line plays against weak competition.

and what i'd really like to see is MG picking up visnovsky for some grab bag of spare parts at the deadline (would we be able to fit visnovsky in without dropping salary by then?) and have him as a PP ringer with various others wingers double shifting on the fourth line at ES.

EDIT: just checked capgeek. barring any other roster changes, we will need to drop $2 million in cap to add visnovsky at the deadline. but demote manny at the deadline and recall him for the playoffs? can't see anyone picking him up on waivers at his cap hit.

Can't see that 2nd line putting up huge amounts of points but dear god that would be tough to play against!
I can't see how AV would split up Shredder and Raymond after the Chemistry they have shown so far this season, Ideally I'd like to see:

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Booth Kesler Burrows
Raymond Schroeder Hansen (So much speed!)
Higgins Manny Lappy
Weise Volpatti

Bring in the two spares when we need a bit of grit.

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
What did AV say when he took a shot at him?

This isn't from the same province article, but I think it is the same subject.

“To me, he looks real good on the ice and doing everything out there that a player can possibly do. I’m not sure exactly where they are on the medical side. I don’t get involved until a player comes to me and the medical staff has cleared him to play. I don’t know what to tell you. On the ice, it doesn’t look like baby steps. It looks like leaps and bounds.â€

Clearly a non issue. Not only is AV not attacking Kesler, but he is clearly complimenting him.

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
Also, I'm really happy Kesler is taking it slowly this time. As long as he's back by the start of the playoffs, I'll be stoked. We don't need him for meaningless regular season games.

Frankly, I think we should copy LA and limp into the playoffs as 8th seed. That way, if we lose in the first 2 rounds, we draft around 15 in this very deep draft.

... Then again, I enjoy watching winning hockey, even in the regular season. **** 8th seed, win another president's trophy!

arsmaster*

Can't see that 2nd line putting up huge amounts of points but dear god that would be tough to play against!
I can't see how AV would split up Shredder and Raymond after the Chemistry they have shown so far this season, Ideally I'd like to see:

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Booth Kesler Burrows
Higgins Manny Lappy
Weise Volpatti

Jannick Hansen is on record that he alters his game to a less physical style when he plays with Raymond.

I've wanted to see Vadim's lineup for a long time.

I don't care if Kesler or that line only scrape the 20-25 goal pace (per 82 games) if they are shutting down opponents.

That is what Kesler is best at, with those wingers, they would be excellent along the forecheck, absolutely annoying to play against in their own end, and very hard to catch in transition.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Clearly a non issue. Not only is AV not attacking Kesler, but he is clearly complimenting him.

I didn't take it as a shot either. He said something like, "I don't know about baby steps, he looks leaps and bounds better to me." He also said that he'll rely on Kesler and the medical staff to tell him when he's ready.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I didn't take it as a shot either. He said something like, "I don't know about baby steps, he looks leaps and bounds better to me." He also said that he'll rely on Kesler and the medical staff to tell him when he's ready.

Little do you know he considers himself part of the medical staff :sarcasm: Did his doctorate at the same school as Dr. Recchi.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Little do you know he considers himself part of the medical staff :sarcasm: Did his doctorate at the same school as Dr. Recchi.

I know you're joking (and you may be alluding to the Hodgson situation) but AV specifically said that he has no idea as to Kesler's medical situation. He may have learned his lesson there.

Wizeman*

This isn't from the same province article, but I think it is the same subject.

“To me, he looks real good on the ice and doing everything out there that a player can possibly do. I’m not sure exactly where they are on the medical side. I don’t get involved until a player comes to me and the medical staff has cleared him to play. I don’t know what to tell you. On the ice, it doesn’t look like baby steps. It looks like leaps and bounds.â€

I agree. It seemed obvious to me AV is chaffing at the bit to have him back and says he looks great.

Was no back door insult or suggestion to rush . Of all people Ryan Kesler is the LAST guy who would rather sit around than play ice hockey.

99% of players in general would rather be shot than simply be paid and sit in the pressbox. But they are still being paid so who cares right? They do. They go bananas if they are just sitting around like an outsider from the team.

Kesler is also a huge personality and great buddies with several canucks. So he would also want to be hanging out cracking jokes with them .

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Guys..
Why not break Kesler in on the 3rd line? to me the lineup looks sick like that.. and till he`s at NHL level speed-hands-vision.. let him chew up top lines defensively..

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Higgens - Kesler - Kassian
Lapierre - Malhotra - (Weise,Volpatti)

That looks like an outstanding transition and potentially ideal from an overall chemistry standpoint.
Keep that second line together since they seem to be getting better..
Kesler works with Higgens fine and would be great to see how well Kassian works with him.
Kesler back to the 1st unit PP...
3 dangerous lines.

To me this just seems like the no brainer doesn`t it??

MajorCanuck

Cup Please
Dec 30, 2011
Surrey, BC
Guys..
Why not break Kesler in on the 3rd line? to me the lineup looks sick like that.. and till he`s at NHL level speed-hands-vision.. let him chew up top lines defensively..

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Higgens - Kesler - Kassian
Lapierre - Malhotra - (Weise,Volpatti)

That looks like an outstanding transition and potentially ideal from an overall chemistry standpoint.
Keep that second line together since they seem to be getting better..
Kesler works with Higgens fine and would be great to see how well Kassian works with him.
Kesler back to the 1st unit PP...
3 dangerous lines.

To me this just seems like the no brainer doesn`t it??

A rookie got traded because he wanted to play over Kesler. Its not gonna happen.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
A rookie got traded because he wanted to play over Kesler. Its not gonna happen.

I think you were just being funny...

.. unless you are unaware our 3rd line plays more than our second. I titled the lines as such (2nd, 3rd) to represent their trandition use... not ice time.

i.e. Schroeder is considered the 2nd line center (2nd scoring line).. but he plays 2 mins less than Lappy.. our (3rd line checking line)

MajorCanuck

Cup Please
Dec 30, 2011
Surrey, BC

.. unless you are unaware our 3rd line plays more than our second. I titled the lines as such (2nd, 3rd) to represent their trandition use... not ice time.

i.e. Schroeder is considered the 2nd line center (2nd scoring line).. but he plays 2 mins less than Lappy.. our (3rd line checking line)

Sure, but either way, apart from possibly Henrik, no other center on the team will play anywhere near Kesler when he returns, and thats whether Kes is 100% or not. In a perfect world, AV would ease Kes in like you said, but we all know AV and that wont happen.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Also, I'm really happy Kesler is taking it slowly this time. As long as he's back by the start of the playoffs, I'll be stoked. We don't need him for meaningless regular season games.

Frankly, I think we should copy LA and limp into the playoffs as 8th seed. That way, if we lose in the first 2 rounds, we draft around 15 in this very deep draft.

... Then again, I enjoy watching winning hockey, even in the regular season. **** 8th seed, win another president's trophy!

I am sure you are being sarcastic but L.A. nearly missed the playoffs last year. If we do not win our division i do not like our chances of making the playoffs. So the choice is win the division or miss the playoffs. L.A. was not trying to be mediocre they were mediocre until the playoffs. I am for Kesler taking it slow as the team is winning anyways.

Wizeman*

I try to tell them this as well. Its important for Schroeder to be the 2nd line center because if you call him the 3rd they all start whining he isnt big enough or a 'shutdown' guy.

So you 'call' Keslers line the 3rd line, and hard match it up against the other top line and give it more minutes than the twins get.

MajorCanuck

Cup Please
Dec 30, 2011
Surrey, BC
I try to tell them this as well. Its important for Schroeder to be the 2nd line center because if you call him the 3rd they all start whining he isnt big enough or a 'shutdown' guy.

So you 'call' Keslers line the 3rd line, and hard match it up against the other top line and give it more minutes than the twins get.

So you guys are getting worked up about semantics? Kesler can play on 5th line, he is still going to play more games than Jordan. When you guys want a third line more oriented towards offense with Shroeder, or a third line thats rough and tough with Kesler, kesler is gonna play more.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
barring deadline deals:

sedin sedin kassian
burrows kesler hansen
booth schroeder raymond
higgins lapierre someone

our second plays against the other team's top line (say, getzlaf or kopitar or toews/kane). third line plays against weak competition.

and what i'd really like to see is MG picking up visnovsky for some grab bag of spare parts at the deadline (would we be able to fit visnovsky in without dropping salary by then?) and have him as a PP ringer with various others wingers double shifting on the fourth line at ES.

EDIT: just checked capgeek. barring any other roster changes, we will need to drop $2 million in cap to add visnovsky at the deadline. but demote manny at the deadline and recall him for the playoffs? can't see anyone picking him up on waivers at his cap hit.

This is an interesting line up for sure. Our 2nd line almost becomes more of the shutdown line instead of the 3rd.

Its an interesting approach i would like to see them try it. Although my concern is I think burrows still compliments the sedins better then kassian game in and game out, although I do like kassian standing in front of the net with the sedins and maybe keep him on the first pp unit.

Still wish we could get another good legit 2nd line winger as we have alot of fringe guys, it would open alot more doors for us. Maybe a pipe dream though.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Depends what AV wants to do, I think. If he wants to match power vs. power then we might see:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian
Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen
Raymond - Lapierre - Weise

If he plans on using the specialized zone deployment then perhaps:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Burrows - Kesler - Hansen (primary shut-down line)
Booth - Schroeder - Raymond
Higgins - Lapierre - Weise (secondary checking line)

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Depends what AV wants to do, I think. If he wants to match power vs. power then we might see:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian
Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen
Raymond - Lapierre - Weise

If he plans on using the specialized zone deployment then perhaps:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Burrows - Kesler - Hansen (primary shut-down line)
Booth - Schroeder - Raymond
Higgins - Lapierre - Weise (secondary checking line)

Wow, we do have some decent depth when healthy - and that's without Manny.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I have a bit of an unconventional suggestion that I have a sneaking suspicion would work out really well but that everyone's likely going to jump all over me for and criticize. The biggest thing about it is that I don't think Booth fits with anyone, really, but I think he would do very well in the role that Higgins played on that Higgins - Burrows - Hansen line. Watching that line play made me realize that Burrows and Hansen would perfectly make up for his deficiencies.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Raymond - Schroeder - Kesler
Booth - Burrows - Hansen
Higgins - Lapierre - Weise

Obviously there are a ton of things that aren't ideal about that lineup (Burrows playing center and Kesler playing wing), but I'm really confident in the back of my head that that would oddly work very well in practise.

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Booth Kesler Burrows
Higgins Manny Lappy
Weise Volpatti

A Burrows - Kesler - Hansen line would put up FAR better numbers than any other combination we have that doesn't involve the Sedins, IMO.

The three of them have a Sedin-like offensive chemistry, too.

If Kassian works well with the Sedins and you manage to string together a strong 3rd line after that, you HAVE to go with a Burrows - Kesler - Hansen line. They would singlehandedly win us games, IMO.

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

Jannick Hansen is on record that he alters his game to a less physical style when he plays with Raymond.

I've wanted to see Vadim's lineup for a long time.

I don't care if Kesler or that line only scrape the 20-25 goal pace (per 82 games) if they are shutting down opponents.

That is what Kesler is best at, with those wingers, they would be excellent along the forecheck, absolutely annoying to play against in their own end, and very hard to catch in transition.

This is an interesting line up for sure. Our 2nd line almost becomes more of the shutdown line instead of the 3rd.

Its an interesting approach i would like to see them try it. Although my concern is I think burrows still compliments the sedins better then kassian game in and game out, although I do like kassian standing in front of the net with the sedins and maybe keep him on the first pp unit.

A Burrows - Kesler - Hansen line would put up FAR better numbers than any other combination we have that doesn't involve the Sedins, IMO.

The three of them have a Sedin-like offensive chemistry, too.

If Kassian works well with the Sedins and you manage to string together a strong 3rd line after that, you HAVE to go with a Burrows - Kesler - Hansen line. They would singlehandedly win us games, IMO.

my thinking is if a burrows - kesler - hansen line scores only three or four ES goals between them in a series, but holds the other team's top line to only one or two ES goals over the series, it's actually like that line is averaging more than a goal a game. the net gain is enormous, and with their speed, counter-attack ability, chemistry, and ability to grind down opponents as well as get them off their game, i don't see how we could not put these guys together-- at least to test it out.

other than size, this line would be superior to pahlsson - niedermayer - moen in every conceivable way, and that line was probably the ducks' most important forward line when they won the cup. pandolfo - madden - langenbrunner from the '03 playoffs is another comparison i'd like to make: gritty speedy guys, especially ones with a history of clutch scoring, sometimes end up not only shutting down the opposition's big guns offensively, but also ventilating them defensively (see: john madden making thornton his female dog).

but longterm, obviously, this only is possible if our two young guys continue working out. can kassian keep up his good play on the first line with two former scoring champs? a lot to ask of a kid in his first real full NHL season. can schroeder, who had never played in the league before, hold down a secondary scoring line with boots and mayray? i mean, can this completely inexperienced rookie be the straw that stirs the drink on a scoring line in the playoffs? again, a lot to ask. but at least as for now, it looks like a possibility.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
my thinking is if a burrows - kesler - hansen line scores only three or four ES goals between them in a series, but holds the other team's top line to only one or two ES goals over the series, it's actually like that line is averaging more than a goal a game. the net gain is enormous, and with their speed, counter-attack ability, chemistry, and ability to grind down opponents as well as get them off their game, i don't see how we could not put these guys together-- at least to test it out.

other than size, this line would be superior to pahlsson - niedermayer - moen in every conceivable way, and that line was probably the ducks' most important forward line when they won the cup. pandolfo - madden - langenbrunner from the '03 playoffs is another comparison i'd like to make: gritty speedy guys, especially ones with a history of clutch scoring, sometimes end up not only shutting down the opposition's big guns offensively, but also ventilating them defensively (see: john madden making thornton his female dog).

but longterm, obviously, this only is possible if our two young guys continue working out. can kassian keep up his good play on the first line with two former scoring champs? a lot to ask of a kid in his first real full NHL season. can schroeder, who had never played in the league before, hold down a secondary scoring line with boots and mayray? i mean, can this completely inexperienced rookie be the straw that stirs the drink on a scoring line in the playoffs? again, a lot to ask. but at least as for now, it looks like a possibility.

My problem with this thinking is teams will still treat it like a second line. The ducks line you spoke of was a true third line, this is what made it so good.

I would rather have burrows Kesler and booth, just gives us a bit more scoring, plus Hansen Higgins makes up 2/3 of a great third line that can be close to a third line like the ducks.

hackey

Oh Did I Offend You
Aug 18, 2003
That's Too Bad
Visit site
Once Booth gets back put him with the Sedins, he's useless anywhere else and if he can't make it with the Sedins... then well?
He's a shooter and Henrik should dish him some gimmes

Booth isn't meshing with Kesler and isn't defensively aware enough for the 3rd line

So switch him to play RW
Switch Kass or Burrows to play LW with Kesler

Sedin-Sedin-Booth
Kassian-Kesler-Burrows
Higgins-Schroeder-Raymond
Malhotra-Lappiere-Hansen

The weakest link being Schroeder just because of his size
Hansen/Raymond is a luxury on the 4th line

Wizeman*

So you guys are getting worked up about semantics? Kesler can play on 5th line, he is still going to play more games than Jordan. When you guys want a third line more oriented towards offense with Shroeder, or a third line thats rough and tough with Kesler, kesler is gonna play more.

Unfortunately, some of them do.

They get all bent out of shape if you put someone like Schroeder as the 'third line' center as he aint no shut down center. Which of course is the traditional 3rd line role.

More honestly, its just an EXCUSE by those who dont want Schroeder on the team and want to upgrade the position.

I disagree. He is a playmaking center and is also defensively capable. Whatever he lacks in height he more than makes up for in speed, strengthn and grit.

Even after only 8 games I can tell hes going to be a great pro if he just continues to do the little things it takes to improve his game .

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
our third line center in 1994 was 5'8, 165 lbs.

07e0f26b10fc3ed1b5df6d146d6a2754_52522.jpg

i loved that little guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad