Ryan Kesler In Practice With The Canucks Today

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
Now think about the type of abuse Ryan Kesler has taken over the last few years. He takes a hell of a lot more than Henrik Sedin on a nightly basis. He's being wacked and slashed on almost every shift.

Umm, aren't all top players taking the same level of abuse out there? I'm pretty sure our top line is "slashed and wacked" just as much as Kesler. He plays a more reckless style as well.

Pump n Dump

Sep 2, 2009
North Vancouver, BC
barring deadline deals:

EDIT: just checked capgeek. barring any other roster changes, we will need to drop $2 million in cap to add visnovsky at the deadline. but demote manny at the deadline and recall him for the playoffs? can't see anyone picking him up on waivers at his cap hit.

Sending Manny down only saves $900K in cap space under the new CBA

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Umm, aren't all top players taking the same level of abuse out there? I'm pretty sure our top line is "slashed and wacked" just as much as Kesler. He plays a more reckless style as well.

I would say no. Maybe in terms of slashes, not in terms of punches to the head etc. Burrows and Kesler play a style that see's them take a lot of abuse after whistles and in scrums. The Sedins on the other hand rarely ever take these same shots. Kassian just won't have to defened the Sedins very often after whistles. Put him with 2 guys that crash the net hard in Kesler and Booth and it will be a much different story.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Sending Manny down only saves $900K in cap space under the new CBA

oh right. i guess we could always toss something extra to the isles to eat cap. i mean, viz is already on the cheapest year of his deal and there'd only be a bit of the season left so what would they care? *dreaming*

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I would say no. Maybe in terms of slashes, not in terms of punches to the head etc. Burrows and Kesler play a style that see's them take a lot of abuse after whistles and in scrums. The Sedins on the other hand rarely ever take these same shots. Kassian just won't have to defened the Sedins very often after whistles. Put him with 2 guys that crash the net hard in Kesler and Booth and it will be a much different story.

I'm not so sure the other team will be in any hurry to do much "after the whistle stuff" with Kassian on the ice. Would you? If I was an opposition player; I'd like to keep that "sleeping giant" asleep.

Nov 1, 2011

I think he takes way more abuse because he's on the first PK and doesn't get a disproportionate amount if offensive zone starts. In fact due to the amount of offensive zone starts the Sedins get, and the fact that he is the net presence on the first unit PP Kesler probably has one of the most taxing roles in the NHL. So much so that I think we needs a 2nd "Kesler" to share some of theworkload.

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009
I think he takes way more abuse because he's on the first PK and doesn't get a disproportionate amount if offensive zone starts. In fact due to the amount of offensive zone starts the Sedins get, and the fact that he is the net presence on the first unit PP Kesler probably has one of the most taxing roles in the NHL. So much so that I think we needs a 2nd "Kesler" to share some of theworkload.

Some teams don't even have one player as good as Kesler. How would we get a second one?

goodluckchuck

Apr 22, 2012
Anyone see the interview they showed on sportsnet.

AV took a shot at Kesler's baby steps comment.

AV still hasn't learned not to rush players. He's like Kesler looks good, and according to what i saw in practice, he looks ready.

Then they showed Kesler's interview who said he has no idea when he will be back.

From what I say, AV and Kesler are not on the same page at all.

Keifer

May 8, 2012
How long to build shoulder strength? Sounds like it will be more than a week or two.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/0...tter-but-shoulder-strength-isnt-there-at-all/

It is great to see Kesler is very aware he can't rush his return to the line up, i know the team has to win now as much as they can but at the same time i'd much rather kesler wait until March to come back, his health is much more important than mine or the team's desire to win more game's with him in the line up but when he does come back, this team is going to hit new strides not long after his return.

StringerBell

AV still hasn't learned not to rush players. He's like Kesler looks good, and according to what i saw in practice, he looks ready.

Then they showed Kesler's interview who said he has no idea when he will be back.

Seems like par for the course after what we saw from them last year.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Don't know why anyone would be surprised that Kesler is taking another week or two to make sure he's 100%. Our schedule is pretty light in the next few weeks, and they are winnable games without Kesler, IMO. We play MIN, CGY, MIN, DAL in the next 10 days, all of which are quite winnable with the lineup we ice now.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
If somebody can Murph's interview with Tanev right after the game, it'd be terrific to share. Kesler was in the background, and might have been observing Murphy at the start of the interview. I'm not sure why he was there, though it seems he was talking to someone in the hallway a few feet away from the interview. I thought it was funny that his head was poking out from behind Murph's shoulder before the camera panned away.

It's the Kassian-Hodgson scenario that may be causing potential friction, I bet.
that's nuck vs nuck friction.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

What did AV say when he took a shot at him?

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I think it's just that literally every board on HF hates us. Even some Hab fans and we are supposed to be bros.

I feel like we're getting more well-meaning guests than normal this season, like that Devils fan who joins our GDTs.

Could just be me. Let the hatred flow though! I love being the villain.

Last edited:

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Very excited that Kesler is getting closer. Can't wait to see him out there! I'm actually surprised we're doing so well without him but that's what great goaltending will do for you!

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
What did AV say when he took a shot at him?

Just said that on the ice it looks like Kesler is moving along by 'leaps and bounds' rather than baby steps. It was clear he was being positive rather than taking a shot at Kesler or anything like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->