Prospect Info: Ryan Johnson, D, 2019 #31 overall: Signed, Rochester (AHL), Assigned 3/8/24

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Just wanted to come in here and say you guys drafted a gem. It’s almost good u didn’t get the SJ pick(Brayden Tracey) this kid is an outlet pass machine with an extremely high IQ and very high end skating ability and escapability. His ability to open up his hips and create time and space or create passing lanes is very similiar to Dahlins and he has very good hands to compliment it. He has a very good defensive stick as well, for me, he just needs to grow and mature physically and easily projects as an all around top 4 defenceman. Great pick, especially considering how bummed most fans were that it ended up being #31

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Just wanted to come in here and say you guys drafted a gem. It’s almost good u didn’t get the SJ pick(Brayden Tracey) this kid is an outlet pass machine with an extremely high IQ and very high end skating ability and escapability. His ability to open up his hips and create time and space or create passing lanes is very similiar to Dahlins and he has very good hands to compliment it. He has a very good defensive stick as well, for me, he just needs to grow and mature physically and easily projects as an all around top 4 defenceman. Great pick, especially considering how bummed most fans were that it ended up being #31

Glad you guys got your first, but yes, it’ll forever have partly come at the expense of a terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible decision by us.

Reactions: STLBLUES44

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

There really is a lot to like about his game. If Zotsko can translate the tools into consistent production with the Gophers? Look out. He’s low end seems like it would be a big-mobility defensive defenseman at worst. I really can’t wait to see how the season unfolds for him.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
There really is a lot to like about his game. If Zotsko can translate the tools into consistent production with the Gophers? Look out. He’s low end seems like it would be a big-mobility defensive defenseman at worst. I really can’t wait to see how the season unfolds for him.
Totally agree, very high floor, with a pretty high ceiling. He seems to have the toolbox to go with some real nice tools

Reactions: Chainshot

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Didn’t want to jump the Ryan Johnson thread for this and wasn’t sure where else to post it. A good amount of people like Nils (including me) with our late 1st this year.. and this is just plain nasty.

Reactions: Kyndig

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Speaking of this pick...I was at Thinman Brewery just after we made the pick and a RY-AN! JOHN-SON! chant may or may not have been started by my genius friends. People joined in...#Buffalo.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
he certainly looked good in the summer, but right now, I see another Pysyk. Good skating, calm with the puck, good transition, but just another guy. 5-6-7 dman.

Not what you spend your 31st pick on, especially with a collection of forward talent with size and scoring ability right there. Hoglander, Kaliyev, Lavoie (my pick there), the list goes on.

Reactions: sabremike

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Festivus must be approaching, nothing like a little down time to air those grievances from the past about a certain draft pick, where nothing has really even changed...I'll wait until WJC's to even entertain the 'shouldve picked this guy instead' personal preferences. Bizarro world.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
The only branch of our scouting department I have any faith in at all is the one that covers the Serengeti.

So because Botts and company didn't take the guy you wanted, you don't have faith in the scouting department?

The 2017 and 2018 drafts didn't give you any confidence in them at all? Seriously?

Reactions: jc17

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Seriously though, the biggest knock on him was that a lack of production last year had people questioning his ceiling at the NHL level when it comes to putting up points.

Basically, a lot of people wondered if he was worth a late 1st because of that perceived limited offensive upside to his game.

And really that's not a problem for us, if his limited offensive upside actually becomes a thing. We've got Dahlin. We've probably got Montour long-term. Joker is no offensive slouch.

I think we can deal with a smooth-as-silk skating, positionally sound, good-first-pass-making defenseman in the system.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Are you arguing wingers are more valuable than defenders in trades???
We just traded a winger who had "Bust" written all over him for a defensive prospect who had already proven he was an NHL level player and who is actually really good. Also look at the pitiful offers we are getting for Risto and the very low cost to pick up Montour.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
We just traded a winger who had "Bust" written all over him for a defensive prospect who had already proven he was an NHL level player and who is actually really good. Also look at the pitiful offers we are getting for Risto and the very low cost to pick up Montour.

A first and a solid prospect is a "low cost" to grab Montour?

The Nylander/Joker was was much more a factor of:
A.) Chicago souring on Joker
2.) Chicago loving Nylander

Nylander/Joker is the exception to the rule.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I hope he doesn't like going to art museums...

Seriously though, the biggest knock on him was that a lack of production last year had people questioning his ceiling at the NHL level when it comes to putting up points.

Basically, a lot of people wondered if he was worth a late 1st because of that perceived limited offensive upside to his game.

What's wrong with going to art Museums?

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Excited about Johnson. Dahlin, Joki, Johnson and Samuelsson can literally lock down the top 4 for 10+ years. All are 20 or younger, 2 of them are already legit top 4 guys and the other 2 look like bonafide future top 4 guys. Dahlin said he prefers the right side so with those 4 we could roll out

Johnson-Dahlin
Samuelsson-Jokiharju

And I would assume 1-2 of Risto-Montour-Miller will also be here long term.

Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Excited about Johnson. Dahlin, Joki, Johnson and Samuelsson can literally lock down the top 4 for 10+ years. All are 20 or younger, 2 of them are already legit top 4 guys and the other 2 look like bonafide future top 4 guys. Dahlin said he prefers the right side so with those 4 we could roll out

Johnson-Dahlin
Samuelsson-Jokiharju

And I would assume 1-2 of Risto-Montour-Miller will also be here long term.

It is optimistic to think both Samuelsson and Johnson pan out

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
not the poster you asked, but no, those drafts have instilled zero confidence in them so far. And I didn’t like the 2019 draft at all.

Outside Dahlin, UPL was probably our 2nd best pick between the two drafts. The way we are handling Mittelstadt’s development, I’m worried about his ceiling.

Bryson is a good player, but I’m curious how high his ceiling is. Davidsson has regressed considering how many professional games he’s played so far. Pekar is a fun prospect to watch that I cheer for but I don’t see the offensive ability to stay in a NHL lineup.

Samuelsson has never really impressed me compared to how other posters feel. Laaksonen I’d be shocked to see him make farther than mid pair AHL guy.
Pekar's offense is great considering his other qualities. How is Weissbach doing? Do you actually follow these prospects?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Pekar's offense is great considering his other qualities. How is Weissbach doing? Do you actually follow these prospects?

Not as much as I used to. I try to catch as many college games as possible when they are on TV. I haven't caught any Wisconsin games though I would like to (because of Caufield and Turcotte), so I can't really say much for this year. Last year, he was okay, but I remember questioning how much he can improve what I was seeing.

Pekar, I liked him the preseason because of his pest-like game. But his offensive game as a ways to go to be at the NHL level which would KEEP him at the NHL level.

There's a lot of hopefuls (because they are prospects afterall), but I'm not sure how many can go far. Of course, this is development so this can all change.

But where I don't have confidence in, is the HIGH END talented players (even if they are RAW), and the makeup of the players. Outside of Pekar, for our forward prospects, we are pretty soft. Outside Mittelstadt, I don't see any guys that have the high level skills as well. We traded away our only other forward that had that (Nylander) potential. I don't think Cozens has the ability to be a gamebreaker. I think he'll be a decent middle 6 player.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Yes I understand most prospects don't make it but I would be shocked if Pekar and Samuelsson don't make it to Sabres in next few years.I watched both quite a bit and they are exactly what this team needs in future.Definately glue guys for sure

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Johnson is legit. He looked very impressive for an 18 year old at the WJSS.

Super smooth skater.

Quality program and long-term path too.

*Note - this is not saying they don't have enough skilled forwards in their dev pool*

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->