Prospect Info: Ryan Johnson, D, 2019 #31 overall: Signed, Rochester (AHL), Assigned 3/8/24

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Encouraging!

Johnson pick growing on me for sure. We will definitely need defenseman who can defend the blue line (Johnson does this exceptionally well statistically).

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Making the cutdown to the field of 10 remaining d-men is a good sign, but him playing well is even better. He could very well make the U20 team even though he is only 18.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
I was definitely down on the pick when it was made but since the draft and watching him, be it brief, I’m impressed. Skating is great and he definitely has a high IQ. Doesn’t shoot much but he moves the puck very well. I’m higher on him then I was on Ghule at the moment. Ghule was the better skater for sure but I didn’t see the same IQ in him as I do with Johnson. Time will tell if Johnson can translate that to the AHL then hopefully the big time.

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I was definitely down on the pick when it was made but since the draft and watching him, be it brief, I’m impressed. Skating is great and he definitely has a high IQ. Doesn’t shoot much but he moves the puck very well. I’m higher on him then I was on Ghule at the moment. Ghule was the better skater for sure but I didn’t see the same IQ in him as I do with Johnson. Time will tell if Johnson can translate that to the AHL then hopefully the big time.

very different players to compare to eachother. Guhle might have a role yet. You cant teach the wheels that kid has. Dion honestly might have ruined this kid's career/confidence all by himself.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
very different players to compare to eachother. Guhle might have a role yet. You cant teach the wheels that kid has. Dion honestly might have ruined this kid's career/confidence all by himself.

Johnson’s skating is excellent, perhaps a cut below Guhle. The difference seems to be that Johnson is better at a similar age at defending while Guhle had slightly better offensive chops. It’ll be interesting to see if Motzko brings out some scoring in Johnson’s D+1 year. The Gophers haven’t had a productive, dynamic PMD in a long time.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Johnson’s skating is excellent, perhaps a cut below Guhle. The difference seems to be that Johnson is better at a similar age at defending while Guhle had slightly better offensive chops. It’ll be interesting to see if Motzko brings out some scoring in Johnson’s D+1 year. The Gophers haven’t had a productive, dynamic PMD in a long time.

and your opinion on the pick? relative to its place?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
and your opinion on the pick? relative to its place?

These were my thoughts here after the pick:

Let me preface this by saying there were four or five forwards I really, really like available when this pick was made. And I can understand why they might not be the team that selects Arthur Kaliyev because they have not shown an ability to polish guys into pros who aren't already pretty much the stock standard, well-liked, workmanlike hockey player. I like Johnson a lot. It just wasn't the scoring forwards they still need.

But it is someone they can use.

It remains that they picked him around where some had him pegged to go (McKenzie had him at 33 for example) and if they were a smidge higher than some folks (Pronman say, who has traditionally slanted toward quick, stickhandling forwards) but not by much.

I wanted a forward. But this is someone they can use, even in the unlikely event that his offensive game does not evolve. For what he is, right now, he seems like a very good pick.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
I like his potential do rise above the value of where he was taken. Could be interesting if his offensive game developes more this season.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON

Hardworking seems to be a common theme with him. I was listening to the instigators when he was on and he was saying he was back on skates and training the day after the draft before he flew to buffalo. They all laughed and thought he was joking but he was dead serious. Hoping he has a good year.

Reactions: joshjull

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
I always liked the pick. Him being a late riser was part of why i liked him. They usually have the right attitude, which i'm a big believer in.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
This could turn out to be a great pick. Very promising seeing all the positive feedback so soon after the draft. If he can be a steady #2/3 dman and become what Pysk and McCabe were supposed to be this could be a great add to the franchise.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

IIRC Guhle didn't really breakout offensively until his D+1 or D+2 season. Comparing the 2 in their draft year, it seems like both are guys you could look at and think "he's got the tools to put up better counting stats." Obviously Guhle eventually did that. TBD if Johnson will do the same.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
IIRC Guhle didn't really breakout offensively until his D+1 or D+2 season. Comparing the 2 in their draft year, it seems like both are guys you could look at and think "he's got the tools to put up better counting stats." Obviously Guhle eventually did that. TBD if Johnson will do the same.

Guhle's was his D+2 where the production showed up. PHam's adoption of Guhle as his step-child started almost from his first moments on the ice as a Sabre at dev camp.

Reactions: BuffaloGooner

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Johnson has played the right side in two of the games I followed on Twitter. Is that the norm for him or just a fluke of circumstance with that many lefties? Reminded me of Dahlin, obviously not in his level of skill but that he seemed quite comfortable there.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Johnson has played the right side in two of the games I followed on Twitter. Is that the norm for him or just a fluke of circumstance with that many lefties? Red mined me of Dahlin, obviously not in his level of skill but that he seemed quite comfortable there.

USA worked almost all of their left shooting defensemen through on the right side because they are short on RD. Emberton might be the only rightie who makes the team. The staff did a great job working guys around.

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
i like this pick better than the Cozens one

Agreed, Cozens pick was strictly a safe choice, with the floor being so high for him. This pick could potentially reach much higher in terms of ceiling, steady two-way D that can potentially be excellent on both sides of the puck at 5v5, not sure if he would ever run the PP though. If Risto ever is moved, then I hope he would be able to anchor the 2nd pairing soon.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Pronman: Standout prospects at the World Junior camps

Ryan Johnson, D, Buffalo

Johnson stood out to me consistently through the camp, and even as a 2001 in the 2000 age group, he looks like a strong candidate for the World Junior team this winter. His skating and hockey sense looked very good. “He was a pleasant surprise for us. He has quickness and elusiveness,” said USA general manager John Vanbiesbrouck. The skating was always evident when I watched Johnson last season, but the offense was inconsistent. He was a second power play guy on the eventual USHL champion and some games I didn’t see him make a ton of plays. He was very good down the stretch, though, and made a lot of tough plays in this camp.

“I believe I have a lot of potential, especially on the offensive side. Being deceptive with the puck is a big part of my game,” said Johnson.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->