Prospect Info: Ryan Johnson, D, 2019 #31 overall: Signed, Rochester (AHL), Assigned 3/8/24

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
It's been quoted by many differing sources (Button etc.); he's not one that will likely produce points so a Mark Pysyk, Teppo Numminen, Hallinder types make more sense. If points are there, you're topping out at 15-20.

In fact give me Pysyk back on this team over Bogosian. At least Pysyk stays on the ice.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's been quoted by many differing sources (Button etc.); he's not one that will likely produce points so a Mark Pysyk, Teppo Numminen, Hallinder types make more sense. If points are there, you're topping out at 15-20.

The late era Numminen. We can't forget that he was an pretty good PMD in his prime years.

Reactions: Vito_81

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver

Take away power play production, and the difference in point production between Spurgeon and Pysyk is pretty small.

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
I spoke with my cousin who scouts for an NHL team about Johnson. He said their team had him as a 2nd round grade because they don't see any offence at the NHL level. He did say he thinks he becomes a player, just nothing exciting.

Whoever said Mark Pysyk is spot on.
Thanks-what did your cousin think of Cozens? (sorry for the hijack, Mods, but this is interesting IMO).

Reactions: kundahlini

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Johnson looks like a player. Outlet pass machine, really fluid skater and handles the puck well

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I spoke with my cousin who scouts for an NHL team about Johnson. He said their team had him as a 2nd round grade because they don't see any offence at the NHL level. He did say he thinks he becomes a player, just nothing exciting.

Whoever said Mark Pysyk is spot on.

No offense to your cousin, but there was a ton of offense shown this week. Especially for a 17 year old.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
No offense to your cousin, but there was a ton of offense shown this week. Especially for a 17 year old.
I'm sure he doesn't take any offence to what posters on a website see at a 4 day development camp against his peers when the comment was about what he'll bring at the NHL level.

Reactions: schpaff

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Looked pretty good in the small bits and pieces I saw. Fluid skating, nice wrist shot and seemed to have some awareness— to the extent you can judge anything in a 3on 3 prospect game

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Pleasing. Go Blue.

OK - for anyone who can find the time at the end of the month and the beginning of August - GO TO PLYMOUTH MICHIGAN! It will be the most fun you have and it's only $5 - $10 a day for TWO games (at least it was two years ago) and it's some of the best hockey you'll see. It's where I watched Dahlin as a 16 year old and saw Mitts tear it up after we drafted him, plus got to talk to and meet Drury, Ott, John Davidson, some scouts, and others. Seriously - if you can swing the trip (4 1/2 hours across Canada) then do it. I'll actually be in Buffalo and Connecticut so I have to miss it. :(

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Even if he isn't a major point producer as long as he is a good puck mover and solid in his own end he will be a good piece on the blue line. Even if Risto is traded we still have 3 above average + offensive dmen in Dahlin, Miller and Montour. Another 40+ point dman isn't a need. A good skating, 2 way puck mover is just as big of a need.

When Seattle enters the league we most likely will lose a dman like Pilut or even Miller. So a player like Johnson or Samuelsson will be important for us long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad